Change aiming behaviour of xbow\longbow

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 11:08

Change aiming behaviour of xbow\longbow

I've just found a nice +9 arbalest of penetration.
Unfortunately, the current 'tab' setting in my RC file or in the game aim to the closest enemy like with '.' command, so the missile can't proceed to kill other things behind.
Does someone know how to change that to make 'tab' automatically hit the furthest away enemy, or at least, don't stop the missile to first one? (like it happens with magic beams).
Thanks
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 21:48

Re: Change aiming behaviour of xbow\longbow

Tab fires with "f", not with "." already, unless that changed very recently (in which case please revert it because wow that is an awful change).

Targeting the closest monster seems correct to me. It seems better than targeting the farthest, since if they are the same danger level and not in the same line of fire you definitely want to kill the closer one first (closer enemies are more dangerous).

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 22:19

crate wrote:Tab fires with "f", not with "." already, unless that changed very recently (in which case please revert it because wow that is an awful change).

Targeting the closest monster seems correct to me. It seems better than targeting the farthest, since if they are the same danger level and not in the same line of fire you definitely want to kill the closer one first (closer enemies are more dangerous).

You want it to target the farthest away monster which is in line with the closest monster, so misses have a chance to do damage.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 22:42

I'm assuming that it's not particularly easy to do that. If it is easy to implement multiple-enemy targeting then yeah, that's an improvement. But I doubt it is (I mean, ranged autofight has had problems with slowing down during target-selection already) then I don't think it's worth the effort to implement.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 27th May 2016, 07:30

It was a setting in my rc file, namely "autofight_fire_stop".
Decisively bad, even without penetration.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
rchandra

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice