Why Mara died?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 23rd May 2016, 17:09

Why Mara died?

I have an ongoing game on CDO, trunk. A MuWn in depths found Mara, started to escape ( Mara had almost full health), and then the game announced that Mara died. Can anybody tell me what happened?

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 23rd May 2016, 17:57

Re: Why Mara died?

The answer surely consists of some combination of actions you've taken against Mara or elsewhere on the level along with features of the level itself.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 23rd May 2016, 18:17

Well, what seemed to be happened is that she cloned me, then my clone started to cast fulminant prism randomly, which killed Mara. But I am not sure.... Anyway, if this is true it is rather hilarius.

Is it possible to view back it somehow on footv?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 23rd May 2016, 18:33

sanka wrote:Well, what seemed to be happened is that she cloned me, then my clone started to cast fulminant prism randomly, which killed Mara. But I am not sure.... Anyway, if this is true it is rather hilarius.

Is it possible to view back it somehow on footv?

Yes, but if it happened offscreen there won't be much to see.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 23rd May 2016, 19:41

I think you just have to tell FooTv to replay that other part of the level instead of being centered on the player.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 23rd May 2016, 19:57

The enemy AI is not very good with fulminant prisms. I once submitted a bug report on Mantis about a ghost blasting itself with fulminant prisms but it didn't result in anything...
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 24th May 2016, 02:26

Moose wrote:I think you just have to tell FooTv to replay that other part of the level instead of being centered on the player.

My understanding is that footv plays back ttyrecs; if that's true you can't see anything the original player couldn't see.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
chequers

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 24th May 2016, 05:45

Memorizing Fulminant Prism at at least 50% fail rate is my new favorite Mara secret tech.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
Airwolf, Tiktacy

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 24th May 2016, 13:01

Sar wrote:Memorizing Fulminant Prism at at least 50% fail rate is my new favorite Mara secret tech.

Don't joke, just wait, in six months there will be a flood of YASD posts that say "died to Mara. I even had Prism memorised. WTF?"

For this message the author ZipZipskins has received thanks: 5
duvessa, nago, Sar, WingedEspeon, ZoFy

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 24th May 2016, 15:46

A more typical explanation is that sometimes uniques seem to wander into clouds if there are any around on that level. I _think_ what happens is that they will randomly walk into an area where clouds may appear, and once in a cloud, their AI makes no particular attempt to move to a space without clouds (though it may do so randomly). Some enemies with enough HP at the time (could apply to Mara) may be willing to simply walk into clouds.

For the FP explanation, it would take a bunch at full power (2-5 maybe?) to kill Mara; I don't think your clone would cast it with you offscreen so you probably would've seen them, or at least the actions.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice