Does intellect have diminishing returns?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 13th May 2016, 19:55

Does intellect have diminishing returns?

I've heard that dex has diminishing returns at 24, and I've also heard strength does as well(I think), but does intelligence have diminishing returns in regards to spellpower?

I've currently playing a zig buster and have quite a lot of int, but I'm worried I should start prioritizing other stats if increasing int isn't as valuable.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 13th May 2016, 20:43

Re: Does intellect have diminishing returns?

Spellpower in general has diminishing returns, but intelligence's contribution to spellpower does not. Strength's effect on ER has diminishing returns, but otherwise does not.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 13th May 2016, 22:50

like, in crawl or in general?

For this message the author all before has received thanks: 4
mopl, reosarevok, Sar, Tiktacy

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 17th May 2016, 08:13

It could have diminishing returns if you somehow manage to reach the maximum cap of 200 spell power after which point I think it wouldn't have any further benefit. I wouldn't worry about that though because I'm not even sure if it's possible. You would need ring of flames, ring of fire, brilliance, archmagi, enhancer staff.. more... and still a crap-ton of int. If you're wanting to bust zigs, I would recommend you have enough str to mitigate your spellcasting penalties down if wearing armour (which I recommend.. pearl, quicksilver, etc.) some but after that int would be my choice to keep boosting to the moon. Zigs are about doing big AOE damage, and that comes mainly from high level spells.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 18th May 2016, 23:25

svendre wrote:It could have diminishing returns if you somehow manage to reach the maximum cap of 200 spell power after which point I think it wouldn't have any further benefit. I wouldn't worry about that though because I'm not even sure if it's possible.

I have nuked OOF's with 200 spellpower glaciate in a 3 rune game. It was fun :D
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th May 2016, 23:51

It has diminishing returns because the spell power formula has enormous stepdowns.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice