What is generally the best weapon overall

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 12th May 2016, 22:02

Re: What is generally the best weapon overall

Sar wrote:Some really good arguments ITT, I just want to point out that wizzzargh's post has already won the thread, because dual randart giant club wielding ettin skeleton is the best weapon overall.

counterpoint: the ettin skeleton is not wielding the dark maul

is it possible as an yred worshipper to let Maurice steal all your best gear and then enslave him for a powered-up ghostpal

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 12th May 2016, 22:20

duvessa wrote:
ThreeInvisibleDucks wrote:My argument for statue is more directed against non-forms
"Better than literally nothing" is not a glowing endorsement of a level 6 dual-school spell. I do think that statue form is good on some characters but this is a really bad way to evaluate it.

What I meant was comparing Statue Form against everything else, like melee dudes in heavy armour, not just UC with SF without one, where there's no comparison.

Sometimes the other forms are even better, sure.
Spellcasting penalties, Armour skill, and strength
15 runes: 2x HuSk, Op(Mo,Tm,Wn,Fi,Wr,EE,AM,Wz,Ne), VSTm, DsTm, Dg(Sk,Tm), MuGl, GhMo, Fe(En,EE,Ar,Wn,IE)
3 runes: FoFi, OgSk, KoHu, SpCj, 2x DgGl, MiBe, Fe(Fi,Tm,Mo,Su)

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 13th May 2016, 01:24

Nattefrost wrote:
4Hooves2Appendages wrote:[...] running away is probably the most powerful tactic in the game and statue form often makes it impossible to run away. Sure it can be cancelled, but using a (slow?) action to cancel a form (losing armor in the process) is not great when in danger.

Note that I'm not saying that the spell is useless or bad.

By those standards Chei would be bad and the best race (to win) would be Centaurs and the worst Nagas, I dont see many people playing Centaur on webtiles (not more than Naga at least, but it may just be an illusion, and running around is tedious as hell that may be why) and while I can't for the life of me properly play a Cheibriados worshipper, I know it is a very powerful god regardless of the slowness it inflicts.

PS: I'd be interested in the number of games played with centaurs and nagas in let's say a month on webtiles, instinctively i'd say it's around the same number but i'd love to be proven wrong.

1. Nagas are bad if you want to win the game.
2. Chei is bad if your only goal is winning.
3. Centaurs are either the best or close to it if you just want to win. DD is up there too, that is why Ce doesn't get a free pass at best race.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

For this message the author WingedEspeon has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 13th May 2016, 06:13

Jesus christ, can we stop about statue form already? There is absolutely no argument for statue form being the best weapon since dragon form is strictly better. There are obviously places where statue form can shine, but this is a thread about the best weapon, not the best form.

Also, who is the person in charge of updating: http://cowmuffins.net/badforum.txt <-- this? They have their work cut out for them.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 13th May 2016, 07:14

Nobody is in charge of updating badforum.txt, it's not something that gets updated. It's an archive of a learndb entry that was excessively long.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 13th May 2016, 07:31

duvessa wrote:Nobody is in charge of updating badforum.txt, it's not something that gets updated. It's an archive of a learndb entry that was excessively long.

What!? I remember seeing some really recent posts making it on there when I first saw it.

I thought it was something that was updated frequently, my mistake. Thanks for clear that up.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 13th May 2016, 22:53

To answer your original question, the answer is a stack of steel javelins that is sufficiently large enough that you won't have to worry about melee for the rest of the game.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
Remove food

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 13th May 2016, 23:05

yeah because ranged interface is so good right

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 14th May 2016, 03:34

Sar wrote:yeah because ranged interface is so good right

Are you being sarcastic?

I unironically think ranged interface is very well designed.

The interface itself is very well put together and easy to understand, but that's not to say the ranged mechanic itself doesn't have its own problems.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 14th May 2016, 03:56

Sar wrote:yeah because ranged interface is so good right

except you can make tab use ranged combat and pressing tab 3 times beats pressing tab 10 times.
Remove food

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 17th May 2016, 08:04

shortblade or spear of venom, electric, draining early on

then:

1) eveningstar
2) double sword
3) broad axe

I personally like holy brand the best overall. I would like to use vampiric more, but I do a lot of switching between spell enhancers, ranged weapons and other things that it's a pain. Exec axes and triple swords are nice if going two handed, but I rarely find that it's better than using a shield if only for obtaining extra resists/stats, etc. on a shield.
Previous

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice