vampiric quickblade

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 20:12

vampiric quickblade

Is a vampiric quickblade worth it or is the healing going to be too miniscule?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 20:44

Re: vampiric quickblade

It's going to be miniscule, probably worth re-branding in my opinion.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 20:50

still waiting on a scroll to rebrand. have a distortion rapier as well and a +4 double sword with a longblades manual in my stash. Though I would lose my shield of reflection which is kind of nice. Ill probably just look for a demon blade in depths if nothing else comes along.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 20:59

LearnDB says vamp does 1d(damage) when it triggers, so...have you tried it? If you can stack a bunch of slaying on it or are doing a lot of mid-fights stabs, it might be pretty good. Unless you are relying on weapon-slot swaps for rods or something, it's probably worth eating a ration so you can equip it once and find out (even on a spriggan, assuming you're managing hunger well).
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 21:01

yeah and if the healing is miniscule then the damage from a brand like flaming would also be miniscule, also note that you can get hundreds of hitpoints on a stab

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 21:22

I haven't tried it yet. I have something like 16 breads and have a bunch of food shops so hunger is not an issue. I might give it a go. Invisibility/confuse/dazzling could get me a lot of extra damage most fights. I think draconians cant see invis which is nice. Only thing I worry about if defeating OoF but I have malign gateway, which might help. That or I may just switch to distortion short sword I found and use haste to try and banish them. I'm thinking it will trigger faster than it would take to kill one with my other weapons.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 21:39

remember that orbs of fire can't use doors and that unlike other summons, your eldritch tentacles will attack monsters you can't see

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 22:26

I belive demon blades are 2h for spriggans, so you want a demon whip if you want to keep your shield.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 22:40

Hmm. tough decisions. the QB isn't too bad in depths so far. Can manage to stab most things I run into. I found the elemental staff and a lajatang of speed too. One of those games where I'm getting too many choices. Likely not worth the switch though I think to train staves up. Might just boost summoning a bit more and get something to complement malign gateway for OoF and anything I cand handle and switch to a distortion short sword when I'm ready to do the run.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2016, 08:36

My VpAs of Chei used a +8 vamp rapier and it was really good.

(Then I splatted on Depths:2 when I stupidly tried to fight a shambling mangrove, octopode crusher + some other stuff.)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2016, 13:45

ajon wrote:Hmm. tough decisions. the QB isn't too bad in depths so far. Can manage to stab most things I run into. I found the elemental staff and a lajatang of speed too. One of those games where I'm getting too many choices. Likely not worth the switch though I think to train staves up. Might just boost summoning a bit more and get something to complement malign gateway for OoF and anything I cand handle and switch to a distortion short sword when I'm ready to do the run.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2016, 13:52

It's a short blade, and is thus bad. It's less bad than other short blades except elec, though, and still good enough to use if you've commited to short blades already.
remove food

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2016, 14:15

Hmm. post from my phone before got all screwed up. I lost that character. Thought I was tough enough to manhandle a handful of orb guardians with a malign gateway at my back. It did not turn out like I thought that it would. Still, I'm trying out warp weapon on one now for threats that are too big for my short blade. Seems to be working fairly well.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2016, 16:01

The easiest way to evaluate vampiric brand is to assume that healing 1 player hp is exactly as good as dealing 1 more damage, in which case vamp brand is equivalent to +30% damage. Realistically it is a bit better than that most of the time. This means that if you would not use the weapon if it had flaming/freezing/vorpal brand, you should also not use it with vampiric brand (obvious exception for DD, of course).

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
Sar

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice