New Crawler With One Extremely Important Question

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 4th May 2016, 21:06

New Crawler With One Extremely Important Question

Hi everyone, been playing for a while now but I'd still consider myself very new to DCSS. No wins yet, but I'm getting there. Been playing with SpEn a ton lately, and I've even managed to get an Octopode to level 2.

Anyway, I have one question that's really been bugging me.

Is it possible to save and quit to the main menu?

e.g., save and quite your current game to go play another character or game mode without having to restart DCSS every time.

I've done my homework on this one and can't seem to find an answer. Hopefully I'm just being silly.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 4th May 2016, 21:17

Re: New Crawler With One Extremely Important Question

I don't think save+main menu is possible. I can't think of a use case where one would need to do that though.

Protip: take a break from the spriggans, they play quite differently to most other species, and roll a berserker/fighter/gladiator. I started crawling by playing those squishy spriggans, mostly enchanters, but a straightforward berserker/fighter/gladiator makes for an overall easier game, and being at normal speed is good for learning the very basic principle of crawling: try to position yourself to always fight monsters 1-on-1. That lesson is the most important one in Crawl, and spriggans don't teach it very well.
Spellcasting penalties, Armour skill, and strength
15 runes: 2x HuSk, Op(Mo,Tm,Wn,Fi,Wr,EE,AM,Wz,Ne), VSTm, DsTm, Dg(Sk,Tm), MuGl, GhMo, Fe(En,EE,Ar,Wn,IE)
3 runes: FoFi, OgSk, KoHu, SpCj, 2x DgGl, MiBe, Fe(Fi,Tm,Mo,Su)

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 5th May 2016, 03:25

I think you want
  Code:
restart_after_save = true
in your rc/init file.

For this message the author ontoclasm has received thanks:
ZoFy

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 5th May 2016, 06:12

Incase onto's explanation didn't make sense:

Go to the settings file in your DCSS file, then double click on "init" and open it in notepad. Once you are there, just copy paste "restart_after_save = true" without the quotes at the bottom of the notepad on an empty line.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice