Would a Trog "Doom Knight" be Viable?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 26th March 2016, 00:19

Would a Trog "Doom Knight" be Viable?

I mean training Necro for Pain, but not actually casting? Or even casting spells you RARELY recast, like Deflect Missiles. (How badly does Trog react to training spellschools without using them or casting spells very occasionally, in short).
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th March 2016, 03:00

Re: Would a Trog "Doom Knight" be Viable?

Every point of xp spent in a spell skill is a tiny needle in trogs eye
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th March 2016, 03:01

Re: Would a Trog

Siegurt wrote:Every point of xp spent in a spell skill is a tiny needle in trogs eye
actually the piety loss is based on skill points not xp

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 26th March 2016, 03:15

Piety Decay by training, Penance for Casting or something?
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 26th March 2016, 03:26

That seems right - I started a mummy of trog in wizard mode. Trog didn't like when I memorized pain (penance). I worked off the penance, then started putting all my experience into necro. my piety with Trog went down overall (pretty slowly), but no more penance.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 26th March 2016, 17:15

I seem to remember reading about someone who went through a ziggurat casting Tornado while worshipping Trog, the deaths from the tornado were enough to counteract the penance so they never actually got hit by Trog's wrath. Or something like that.

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 26th March 2016, 23:11

It seems like a thing you could do, but it's hard to understand why you'd want to. It's "viable," but I don't know that it sounds like much fun unless you're roleplaying, and if you're doing that there are frankly much, much better games in which to do it.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 27th March 2016, 14:21

Jeremiah wrote:I seem to remember reading about someone who went through a ziggurat casting Tornado while worshipping Trog, the deaths from the tornado were enough to counteract the penance so they never actually got hit by Trog's wrath. Or something like that.

At the time you actually didn't get wrath effects while under penance (only when you abandoned). But in practice the kills did burn off the penance pretty fast, yeah.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 28th March 2016, 03:20

archaeo wrote:It seems like a thing you could do, but it's hard to understand why you'd want to. It's "viable," but I don't know that it sounds like much fun unless you're roleplaying, and if you're doing that there are frankly much, much better games in which to do it.

I resonate with this, Crawl is not a very fun game, so much as its rewarding for optimal play.

Back on topic, for all this hassle, wouldn't it be easier to just get an electricity weapon?
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice