Rest options for auto-explore?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 22nd March 2016, 14:52

Rest options for auto-explore?

Every once in a while I'll hit autoexplore before fully resting, confusing full rest for some other status. Is there any way to configure it so it only works when I'm truly fully rested? Or is it a conscious decision on the designers to let people make that mistake?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 22nd March 2016, 16:08

Re: Rest options for auto-explore?

Thats how you conserve piety/turncount. Not sure if there is fix, other than just hitting any button to stop explore, and then hitting five again.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 22nd March 2016, 16:08

Yes there's a configuration, though I'm not sure what it is. But it actually isn't a mistake to explore while still damaged. Resting takes turns, which results in piety decay, so it's actually optimal to explore when you're not at full health. The trick is getting a feel for when it's safe to do so and knowing how to disengage from enemies when you're hurt.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 22nd March 2016, 16:12

Optimal for score/speedrun purposes maybe... optimal for winning/streaking I would strongly disagree.

explore_auto_rest = true

With the above line in your init file you will basically have a macro that hits 5 before autoexploring.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 22nd March 2016, 18:06

scott9027 wrote:Optimal for score/speedrun purposes maybe... optimal for winning/streaking I would strongly disagree.

I didn't mention score. I was talking about piety decay. With gods like Oka, Trog, Mak, etc that have reasonably fast decay plus abilities you want to use often, having more piety increases survivability. If you're able to explore safely at say 90% hp (this number is just an example), especially if you can escape if you run into a bad situation (almost all the time in crawl if you recognize it ahead of time), then that's better for winning than waiting until 100%.

If you haven't learned to recognize when to bail before a fight, then you'll survive more if you wait until 100%.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 22nd March 2016, 19:07

Yeah, I have no issue with it being an option, perhaps the wiki should mention this?

Ideally you could even have a percentage of HP and of MP that you want before exploring, i.e. resting up to 90%/80% rather than full, and perhaps certain statuses fixed (I'm not expert enough to list them.)

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 22nd March 2016, 19:15

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 01:02

Here is what I'm using in my rc currently:

Code:
autofight_stop = 60
autofight_caught = true
autofight_wait = true

rest_wait_percent = 80
explore_auto_rest = true
rest_wait_both = true

The rest_wait_percent and rest_wait_both are what instruct it to wait for 80% for both hp/mp before exploring.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 24th March 2016, 16:12

My google-fu hasn't helped. Is there a way to use these with the online play system?

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 24th March 2016, 18:36

On webtiles, hit "edit rc" next to the version of your choice, and then either toggle the switches yourself while editing out the '#' characters in front of it, or copy and paste what Jarlyk said above.

Also, "maybe the wiki should mention" a lot of things, but for a wide variety of reasons it never really caught on with the Crawl community and it isn't a very robust resource.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice