Is there any reason to choose Ely Anymore?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 13:46

Is there any reason to choose Ely Anymore?

(Answer the question). I mean though if you want healing, Gozag (Potion Petition and Potion Shops) or Pakellas (recharging a [possibly supercharged] wand of heal wounds) is significantly better than Ely's self-healing abilities. Ely's Life protection seems weak compared to Zin's Sanctuary (and both are very Meh compared to DDoor, though that's not available until really late). Divine Vigour is decent with amazing Invo, but you aren't going to have that kind of Invo until late game/extended (It's not worth the piety cost for HP + 10%, but closer to 50% could be amazing, just ton of XP to get there. Pacification is...essentially a smite targeted hex that checks MHP instead of MR? Ehh? I mean a "hex" effect that has some chance of working on MR immune things is nice but generally normal hexes, /Enslavement with Pakellas or Banish with Lugonu is better. I just don't see the appeal that much anymore.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 13:49

Re: Is there any reason to choose Ely Anymore?

Its like you never even heard of Rob the (Almost) Pacifist or something...

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 14:11

daggaz wrote:Its like you never even heard of Rob the (Almost) Pacifist or something...
Yea I just read that and...that's why I prefaced with anymore. Self-Healing isn't as common now and it uses exploration piety and Pacification uses piety instead of giving it and...ick.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 14:21

bcadren wrote:Gozag (Potion Petition and Potion Shops) or Pakellas (recharging a [possibly supercharged] wand of heal wounds) is significantly better than Ely's self-healing abilities.

But using Gozag's and Pakellas' powers requires worshipping Gozag or Pakellas. That alone makes Ely the clear winner in my book.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 16:15

You incur no wrath for leaving Ely, so it's a nice stand-in until you get Jiyva or decide on a god. You get decent powers pretty fast.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 17:55

VS profit heavily from Ely, or certain other races like Fo who can really use a 100% guaranteed no-dying-today emergency button. Tradeoff is you are a bit weaker compared to Oka/Trog; but Fo/VS are not really known for being weak races.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 19:28

infinite healing is pretty powerful
you can argue about pakellas being better but pakellas is stupidly overpowered, perhaps he will get changed at some point (or removed, since I think his gimmick is not actually a good thing for crawl)

(ely does still heal more hp per turn than Pakellas or Gozag, fwiw)

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 19:36

Yes.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 20:03

A smite targeted instant kill button is pretty neat too

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice