Why bother having good mutations if you want the Abyss rune?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2016, 03:46

Why bother having good mutations if you want the Abyss rune?

What the hell is the point of having good mutations if a single encounter with a neqoxec forces you to sack them all.

The first one I encountered in the abyss gave me 3 bad muts. This is ridiculous. I'm playing a transmuter that decided to go nearly full melee and I see a neqoxec and it sees me. I do the logical thing and prepare to bash its head in, by ducking around a corner and forcing it to come into melee range. While I was waiting, I hasted and statue formed myself so I could wreck it quickly. Maybe it was a mistake not to use blade hands, but it is absolutely ridiculous that I got 3 of these things because my unarmed attacks decided to miss several shots. Had I casted blade hands instead I still wouldn't have killed it before getting at least 2. What is a melee character supposed to do to avoid bad muts?

I finally just gave up and berserked it instead, killing it in one shot.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2016, 04:23

Re: Why bother having good mutations if you want the Abyss r

killing them with wands/evocables or javelins or summons works well. Having melee as your main mode of attack doesn't mean you have to sacrifice all other means of battle.
Spoiler: show
Psst, hey kid... you like roguelikes?

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2016, 04:29

I probably shouldn't mention that having good mutations actually reduces the likelihood that you can cure the bad mutations, because it's possible for the potion to target the good ones first and get used up before it reaches the bad ones.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2016, 04:43

wizzzargh wrote:killing them with wands/evocables or javelins or summons works well.

Oh wow, apparently Neqoxecs are actually really frail. This is news to me. I wish that I'd have known that one or two shots of ice blast would do it. This sort of thing should be more obvious, especially to a game-ruiner like that monster.

Having melee as your main mode of attack doesn't mean you have to sacrifice all other means of battle.

Iceblast and Sticks to Snakes were my only alternatives, and I dismissed them since I thought they would be too weak. Generally I only use iceblast to start an immolation chain at that late in the game. The rest of my exp was used on auxiliary stuff, like Haste and CBlink.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2016, 09:25

PowerOfKaishin wrote: I do the logical thing and prepare to bash its head in, by ducking around a corner and forcing it to come into melee range. While I was waiting, I hasted and statue formed myself so I could wreck it quickly.
Instead you could just walk away (duck around a corrner, haste, run).
PowerOfKaishin wrote:What is a melee character supposed to do to avoid bad muts?
Stealth also helps not to be noticed by neqoxec or other stuff. Maybe fog scroll then tele.
~online scoring~

Pig's in zen
Pig is nude
Unashamed

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2016, 10:27

mutations dont matter much either way

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2016, 12:40

Malmutate is pretty BS now that rMut is gone.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2016, 13:37

No it isn't, it just actually sometimes has an impact now

edit to clarify: by "sometimes" I mean "incredibly rarely", and by "an impact" I mean "you have to quaff curemut to get rid of slow movement and lose your antennae"

so "No it isn't, it just actually incredibly rarely has you have to quaff curemut to get rid of slow movement and lose your antennae now"

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2016, 20:32

You can't actually get slow movement as a mutation, unless that was changed recently?

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2016, 23:00

You used to be able to, it was evil, though the time I got the corresponding good mutation to get a spriggan-speed centaur was pretty great.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2016, 00:30

CanOfWorms wrote:You can't actually get slow movement as a mutation, unless that was changed recently?

you're right consider my point invalid

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice