Challenging but rewarding builds

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 22nd June 2011, 17:59

Challenging but rewarding builds

Hi, folks

I've grown tired of using the same ol' dwarven berserkers and deep elven wizards, which is why I'd like to see some suggestions on extra challenging, but yet not horribly stupid, character builds. It's ideal if the build has a certain genuine feel to it. For example, naga transmuters are pretty challenging, but still feel wholesome and natural. Besides being immune to poison, they've got that special horror feel to them, which is why it's so much funnier to hack confused and poisoned groups of enemies to pieces with blade hands as a naga. Sheer terror.

I've been playing around with the latest 0.9something-update and I really like octopodes. Just like nagas, they are horrible, stealthy and ugly. They're pretty weak in melee, but the extra attacks (beak, squeeze) make up for some of it.

Octopode berserkers are pretty challenging early on, and just like NaTr they've got a dungeon horror thing going on.

Human wanderers are pretty cool as well, as are kobold assassins.

Moar?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 22nd June 2011, 18:38

Re: Challenging but rewarding builds

Ogre ANYTHING could be considered a challenge build. Albeit a little less so with the 0.8 changes... I haven't experimented with the new Ogres enough to tell, but so far it seems like the devs did a decent job of giving a little more reason (other than bragging rights) to play that race.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 22nd June 2011, 20:12

A Kobold Death Knight is interesting. Being able to eat anything, turn everything else into slaves, get good servants from Yremajaojojapskjeb, is fun. I just died at level 14 in the bottom of the Mines, two-shotted by a thrown ax from a warlord. Low hit points. But otherwise, all the strengths of the black torch are in full motion with the unlimited eating of the kobold race. Other mass-eater races would be good, too.

I agree that human wanderers of Ashenzari are loads of fun. In 8 or 9.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 22nd June 2011, 20:54

cybersaint2k wrote:I agree that human wanderers of Ashenzari are loads of fun. In 8 or 9.

I've had a question about this for a while now after trying out wanderers. I rolled a Human wanderer - started with a 5 aptitude in fighting, which I thought was great, until I realized that I did not get the benefit of the HP gain of those fighting levels.

As it stands now in 0.8, if I played a Human Ash worshipper and took off those levels of fighting, then got them back, would I then get the HP bonus?
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 23rd June 2011, 01:52

Any Mummy build fits into this category, I think. In late game, Mummies rock hard.

Ogre Transmuter fits too. The early game is hard, since training magic schools (other than Spellcasting) is slow like crap, and Ogre's Unarmed Combat is -1. The late game, well... you can enjoy silly stuff like 500+ HP Statue Form :lol:

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 23rd June 2011, 08:12

cybersaint2k wrote: died at level 14 in the bottom of the Mines

IMO, there's yer problem right there ;)

Orc Warlords are complete bastards, let alone at XL14. Some places just aren't a good idea the first time you can visit them, and the bottom level of Orc (even the one with the Ogre vault :P) is absolutely one of them! It doesn't help that the first few levels can completely lull you into a false sense of security...
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 23rd June 2011, 11:31

One of the most challenging three-rune wins I have pulled off was a HuPr of Zin. I went for the old school D&D cleric flavour: no magic, no edged weapons. Hard to pull off; very satisfying when I managed it.

For this message the author Rapigel has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice