Conservation (mostly of scrolls)

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 4th January 2011, 13:54

Conservation (mostly of scrolls)

So...

I'm standing at the upstairs Elf:1, contemplating the multiple spellcasters arrayed in front of me in a nice open area (plus annoying unique who worries me much less and shall remain nameless, but let's say he has questionable facial hair).

I remember what happened last time on E:1 and (less so, corridors are great once you get down to them) E:2 - all my scrolls got burned to a crisp by said fragile-but-pyro-happy Deep Elves in short order.

Do people without Conservation dump all their scrolls before venturing down? Pack just a few essentials? Wait until they do have it? Drive meat shields in front of them?

I'm going to give the first one a try.
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 4th January 2011, 14:19

Re: Conservation (mostly of scrolls)

I tend to wait till I find conservation before attempting Elf. It's a relatively common amulet.

Barring that, the scrolls you need the most down there are teleport and blink (isn't that true for most of the mid- and endgame?), and the first can be covered with a wand and the second with a low-level spell, so if I have a couple of teleport wands, I'll dump the scrolls and head on in.

Under no circumstances do I attempt Elf without see invisible. I suppose Corona would fill the bill, but the characters I play who end up with that spell tend to be spriggans.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 4th January 2011, 14:39

Re: Conservation (mostly of scrolls)

I usually drop my scrolls and potions, unless I have a cloak of preservation or some method of disabling the elves (confusion or silence).

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice