EV vs Shield

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 4th January 2011, 12:04

EV vs Shield

Playing a wizard, I found a +15 shield artifact with -5 EV, for -10 EV total. Is it worth wearing, rather than my simple +3 shield of positive energy? The end resulting stats are EV9 Shield29 or EV19 Shield17 with Positive Energy. My shield skill is 1, and my dodge skill is 7.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 4th January 2011, 14:12

Re: EV vs Shield

For a caster, you first need to be more concerned with the shield's effect on your casting success. Compare that before you look at EV/shield.

What race are you? Most races suited for casting tend to have better aptitude for Dodging rather than Shields. You'll burn more XP building Shields skill.

Once you're past those two, the shield of positive energy is looking like the better choice, simply because the extra 10 points of EV means that you're going to require fewer checks against the shield. And you get some resistance as well.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

For this message the author Stormfox has received thanks:
styrix

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 4th January 2011, 14:44

Re: EV vs Shield

I would use the shield of positive energy over Bullseye. Your shield skill is too low, so your casting penalty will be significant. Stick to bucklers for now.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice