No SustAt for extended

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 28th January 2016, 00:16

No SustAt for extended

So I just died as a MiFi in Ziggurat to a torment/hellfire combo. I went there because I couldn't find any SustAt at all, not from drops, not from shops, not from acquirement, nothing. All that was left to clear was Tomb, hell branches and Pandemonium. How do you deal with extended if you can't find sustain attributes anywhere and one of your stats is in single digits? I remember trying to venture into Hell without it once and it ended in me having all my stats down to half or below way before I even got to the final level of the branch.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 28th January 2016, 00:36

Re: No SustAt for extended

Elyvilon gives a one-off 100% restore, and Zin protects from Hell effects. Aside from that, I think the only option is zigs (as you did) or trawling the Abyss or Pan for something with SustAt.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 28th January 2016, 00:44

Oh, I completely forgot about Zin's protection. Thanks, I'll use it next time.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 28th January 2016, 13:57

Leszczynek wrote:How do you deal with extended if (...)

Extended is optional.

Strictly on topic, SustAt isn't necessary even in Tomb (although recommended) as long as your base stats are balanced. Leveling a character in a way that it ends with 6 Int is begging for problems.

Remember that you regain lost attributes with exp, so as long as you keep killing enemies, you should stay mostly mildly / temporarily drained. As for Hell (but similar thinking applies to Abyss and Pan), stay there as short as possible. There's no need to clear levels. Regeneration is one of your best friends. Don't fight weaker, harmless monsters, as they do not significantly help to regain stats, but instead make you waste time and expose to more hell effects. If you keep Zot uncleared, you can use it to regain stats if they get dangerously damaged (beware of ghost moths!).

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 28th January 2016, 14:57

Bart wrote:Extended is optional.

And the OP wants to exercise the the option to play extended.

For this message the author Hurkyl has received thanks:
WingedEspeon

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 28th January 2016, 15:14

so he gave a strictly on topic reply while also giving the advice that if you want to win you should view extended as optional

what's your deal

for more content: presenting "extended is optional" as advice is a great thing to do when someone posts a question along the lines of "I'm feeling uncomfortable doing extended under these circumstances, how do you deal with it" because the easiest way to deal with extended if you feel uncomfortable with it is to defeat it by not doing it whatsoever. I think often people who want do extended and get frustrated get stuck in the mindset of MUST DO EXTENDED.

I've seen that advice be helpful, especially when coupled with actual advice on how to DO extended under those circumstances

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 28th January 2016, 16:12

Potions of Brilliance/Agility/Might temp increases your INT/DEX/STR (among other effects), 40 to 80 turns.

You may also wanna carry some extra equipment that raises the particular stat. Even if it's not very good, swapping when needed may just save your ass when you're hitting stat-zero.

By the way, Stat mutations are no worse than -4. and read this http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Stat_zero

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 28th January 2016, 16:44

This won't win you any points for speedrunning, but you can always leave the Tomb to go recover lost stats somewhere else.

After losing a bunch of stats to mummies, I'll often leave, go to Zot or Pan for a while, then come back later to finish Tomb.

For this message the author Badtown has received thanks:
WingedEspeon

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 29th January 2016, 14:33

If somebody asks how to do extended, telling them they can just skip it is just stating the obvious.. all you are doing is presenting the most trivial solution possible. Its a waste of space. Its called "extended"; everybody here knows it can be skipped and nobody is asking to hear that answer.

Getting all uptight and snarky when somebody points this out just shifts you from boring/pedantic right into obnoxious/rude.

For this message the author daggaz has received thanks:
WingedEspeon

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 29th January 2016, 14:51

I mean I don't think I was uptight and snarky. I guess I could have not asked what his deal was.

Nobody is asking to hear that answer but sometimes it's the answer they should hear. I also pointed out that he gave an answer that was more along the lines of what you seem to expect for a topic like this. He simply took a line to remind that if you don't feel comfortable doing extended with a particular character (no SustAt, single digit stats) that you don't have to do extended. What's a waste of space is someone calling him out on that when he also posted a bunch of content.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 29th January 2016, 15:02

The most trivial solution is often the correct choice; if you want to win, and you don't have what it takes to do extended, you should usually just win.

On the other hand, if your goal isn't to win, but to do extended, all this other advice is very helpful. Low stats are rarely a reason to avoid doing extended, since nearly every game has the necessary stat boosting equipment and they all have stat boosting consumables, as has been pointed out.

Either way, let's stop arguing about it, because it's tangential to the topic here and not very helpful to the OP.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks:
ZipZipskins

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice