Gods suggested for a vampire enchanter

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 18th January 2016, 20:11

Gods suggested for a vampire enchanter

First off, great game, secondly what god would the more experienced suggest using for a vampire enchanter, and help will be greatly appreciated.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 18th January 2016, 20:18

Re: Gods suggested for a vampire enchanter

Dithnemos is the go-to enchanter/assassin God. Increases your stealth, makes you harder to hit, and (this is the most important part) at higher piety sometimes double-casts your hexes making 'em far more effective.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 18th January 2016, 20:45

Ashenzari is also very good. You are a hybrid - so boosts to all skills are going to be helpful. Scrying is dead useful for setting up stabs (also with Passwall, if you find it). Later, you are going to want to get pretty strong at melee (I recommend Long Blades, with Hexes remaining really useful support throughout the game) - retraining may come in handy.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/odds

Won my last species (Mummy) on 17/01/2016.
Won my last background (Arcane Marksman) on 06/09/2016.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 18th January 2016, 21:04

Ru is extremely good and very fun especially for a VpEn. Its a great god especially if you are newer to the game since a lot of his invocations function as panic buttons and can help get you out of dangerous situations.

I wouldn't choose Ashenzari unless you are very confident with your ability to not get into dangerous situations, Ash provides no panic buttons to help you in these situations but instead provides really good boost in skills and makes skill training extremely easy.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 19th January 2016, 01:53

Reptisaurus wrote:Dithnemos is the go-to enchanter/assassin God. Increases your stealth, makes you harder to hit, and (this is the most important part) at higher piety sometimes double-casts your hexes making 'em far more effective.

Dith isn't really the go to enchanter god. The extra stealth score is nice, but stuff will still wake up sometimes. you will also need to train stealth for stabbing anyway. Shadow mimicry is really most helpful with ranged and conjurations, it doesn't work very well with short blades, and the hexes rarely hit.

I would recommend ashe. I normally don't like ashe because she does nothing for you early game, but your early game is so good it doesn't matter. Ashe boost you stealth if you bind light armour (and you want to wear light armour) and this stealth boost does affect stabbing power, she boosts your hexes skill, she boosts your shortblades skill (more stabbing power), she boost whatever miscellaneous magic skills you pick up for your dual school hexs, and very importantly she boosts your backup plan for "O shoot that ancient lich just woke up and it looks very mad." Because you probably want int on level ups and you start with the same int as a elementalist doing something like getting tornado online to deal with OOF's is actually viable.

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with dith, I just think of ashe as the go to god for stabbers.

Ru can also be effective as the aura of power can grand you stab opportunities and apocalypse is a good panic button/way to deal with strong monsters. Power leap can also let you GTFO when your hexes fail 8 times in a row at like 50% success chance.

oka could also work (heroism boosts stealth, and who doesn't like free stuff).
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

For this message the author WingedEspeon has received thanks: 5
byrel, duvessa, nago, Sar, ydeve

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 19th January 2016, 02:04

I'll add another vote for Ash. She doesn't directly help you escape nasty situations (other than by making you more powerful in general due to skill boosts), but she helps you avoid getting into overwhelming situations in the first place with the monster-sense and Scrying. It's a good idea to assume that the unexplored black is teeming with monsters, anyway, but knowing where the big red scary faces are hiding really helps, especially if you're planning a stabbing approach path. Less risk of waking them up if you don't even have to enter their LOS to know where they are. And if you do transition to long blades later for better killing power against the unhexables, she'll help you both with transferring XP and not needing as much XP in the first place to get your weapon to mindelay.

She doesn't give you much at low piety, but you don't really need much early as a stabber, especially if you can find a source of Invis.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th January 2016, 06:36

kiku

1. easy way to kill anything that you want to kill but can't stab (deliver corpses + animate dead/simulacrum/whatever)
2. guaranteed pain weapon to make short blade melee stop sucking

dith really isn't great for En, as WingedEspeon explained.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
nago, Sar, WingedEspeon

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 19th January 2016, 15:31

duvessa wrote:kiku

1. easy way to kill anything that you want to kill but can't stab (deliver corpses + animate dead/simulacrum/whatever)
2. guaranteed pain weapon to make short blade melee stop sucking

dith really isn't great for En, as WingedEspeon explained.

I forgot about kiku. As an added bonus, you will always have fresh blood with kiku.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 19th January 2016, 21:44

I've actually been having some fun with VpEn^Gozag. Distraction stabs, panic potions for when you're outclassed, maybe an extra shop or two, and bribing Z5 is always a blast.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 21st January 2016, 15:22

BLOOD AND SOULS FOR MAKHLEB

Heal-on-kills is nice if you aren't alive, and greater servants are good for taking down stuff you can't stab. The Destruction abilities are OK, too.

Or kiku, as others have said, is a pretty sane choice.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 27th January 2016, 14:27

dith gives dazzling spray a solid kick

not the optimal god though for reasons mentioned in posts prior
I love pitsprint and pitsprint culture.
dpeg wrote:The only good player is a dead player.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 27th January 2016, 16:29

Stabber gods:
1) Kikubaaqudgha - recieve corpses + simulacrum/animate takes down anything you can't stab
2) Fedhas - mushrooms confuse anything, oklob plant's acid makes monsters hit by it distracted
3) Zin - occasionaly recite gives you stabbable status effects
4) Ru - passive stabbing boost
5) Gozag - gold distractions
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 27th January 2016, 18:01

For something completely different, I went Sif on my successful VpEn and was quite happy with her. Hungerless mana channelling is very good, lots of spell choices means you can make the most of mana hungry spells, and miscast protection means you can blast off stuff that would normally be too dangerous to try. I think I had planned on being an ice mage and ended up becoming a summoner instead.

If I hadn't chosen Sif I probably would have done Ash. Ash is so good on stealthy chars, and it's nice to do all the things at once.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice