How can I turn off ghosts?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 16th January 2016, 13:40

How can I turn off ghosts?

I don't play on a server so there has to be a way. Is there some code I can edit or what not? I can't seem to simply make bones read-only. For some odd reason my computer won't let me set the program to not modify a certain folder.

There's already enough deadly things in the dungeon that I can't kill the first time I reach a floor. I don't need to add extra things with the ability to cast dangerous spells or fire negative energy breath at me. Turning this off would be a great boon so I don't have to delete my bones files each time I die (which is more than it should be, because ghosts).

And please don't respond to this with advice on how to take out player ghosts.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 16th January 2016, 13:44

I'd rather move this topic to the Technical Support forum.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 16th January 2016, 14:37

Re: How can I turn off ghosts?

Empty the saves\bones folder
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 16th January 2016, 17:38

There's probably some way to automate deleting any files that appear in the bones folder.
Comborobin Admin

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 18th January 2016, 08:23

xentronium wrote:There's probably some way to automate deleting any files that appear in the bones folder.

I don't know where crawl stores saves and bones, but if it is the 2 separate folders then you can make bones folder read-only.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 20th January 2016, 01:20

Just drop a shortcut to the folder and delete the files. I don't like ghosts either.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 20th January 2016, 19:24

PowerOfKaishin wrote:I don't play on a server so there has to be a way. Is there some code I can edit or what not? I can't seem to simply make bones read-only. For some odd reason my computer won't let me set the program to not modify a certain folder.

There's already enough deadly things in the dungeon that I can't kill the first time I reach a floor. I don't need to add extra things with the ability to cast dangerous spells or fire negative energy breath at me. Turning this off would be a great boon so I don't have to delete my bones files each time I die (which is more than it should be, because ghosts).

And please don't respond to this with advice on how to take out player ghosts.

So it sounds like you basically like the game but want an easier version of it? That seems to be the theme from all your posts.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 20th January 2016, 19:41

player ghosts can be stupidly unfair though like when you are playing a mummy that is going well except you haven’t found any source of rF yet and you run into a SpAs ghost that know flame tongue.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th January 2016, 21:13

I delete ghosts because I play offline and because when I do play, I play the same combo again and again until I win it or ragequit it. So all my ghosts are just like the current character and it's boring. If there were a bones sharing utility, I'd use it.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 20th January 2016, 21:54

Likewise, I feel like Crawl should either have a bones-sharing thing or a way to disable ghosts offline. I doubt either is forthcoming, but hey.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 20th January 2016, 22:13

Bones sharing would/could be really neat.
Like adding specific player uniques to the game... >.>
infinitevox on akrasiac & berotato
Busy dying horrible deaths from chugging too many pots of Mutation.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 20th January 2016, 23:09

Bones sharing could relatively easily be accomplished with a simple file sharing account (aka Dropbox, Copy, googke drive etc)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 21st January 2016, 22:05

WingedEspeon wrote:player ghosts can be stupidly unfair though like when you are playing a mummy that is going well except you haven’t found any source of rF yet and you run into a SpAs ghost that know flame tongue.

You're playing a mummy. Most things are stupidly unfair.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 22nd January 2016, 16:23

xentronium wrote:There's probably some way to automate deleting any files that appear in the bones folder.

Could make a batch script to delete the folder then open crawl
I love pitsprint and pitsprint culture.
dpeg wrote:The only good player is a dead player.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 23rd January 2016, 06:19

Let crawl make the bones directory, then instead of deleting it, disable read/write permissions in it for the user you play Crawl as. Then Crawl will silently fail to read or write any ghosts.

MainiacJoe wrote:I delete ghosts because I play offline and because when I do play, I play the same combo again and again until I win it or ragequit it. So all my ghosts are just like the current character and it's boring. If there were a bones sharing utility, I'd use it.
There's a Hearse client for Crawl.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
archaeo

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice