Is self-polymorphing ever useful?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 10th January 2016, 23:55

Is self-polymorphing ever useful?

The Liatrix proposal made me wonder - is self-polymorphing a reasonable panic button? Most of the bad forms are either fast (so good for running away) or better in melee than... a character with bad melee. Still, I've personally never done this.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 10th January 2016, 23:59

Re: Is self-polymorphing ever useful?

I'm not sure you -can- self-polymorph? (I guess you can but the wand's base spell is "Polymorph Other Afterall). Just remember almost all forms meld armour and (these are from badwiki, not the source so they could be outdated); but the forms you get are:

Bat Form : 15.4%
Fungus Form : 15.4%
Pig Form : 15.4%
Porcupine Form : 15.4%
Tree Form : 15.4%
Wisp Form : 15.4%
Spider Form : 3%
Ice Form : 3%
Statue Form : 0.77%
Dragon Form : 0.15%
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 11th January 2016, 00:32

You can indeed polymorph yourself with the wand. These numbers make me think even more that this should sometimes be a good idea - there's a 60% chance of getting a form than can run faster than a human. Also a 30% chance of something immobile, but those forms are durable (tree) or hit hard (shroom).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th January 2016, 00:43

Poly self is good on like d:2 when the forms' natural defenses/offenses are way better than yours, provided you are ok with being immobile (dont do it against something with reaching)

As soon as you have good armour or good damage, polyself is terrible.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 11th January 2016, 12:11

I was once trapped with no escape items and no hope of actually being able to kill what had me cornered. I quaffed and read all my unidentified stuff, and the last thing was an unidentified wand. Figuring teleportation was last chance I zapped myself with it.

*POOF* Instant porcupine.

Resigned to my fate, I spammed '.'. And then I realized everything was dying. I started attacking back (which probably didn't matter) and actually won the fight.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 11th January 2016, 12:55

Hurkyl wrote:I was once trapped with no escape items and no hope of actually being able to kill what had me cornered. I quaffed and read all my unidentified stuff, and the last thing was an unidentified wand. Figuring teleportation was last chance I zapped myself with it.

*POOF* Instant porcupine.

Resigned to my fate, I spammed '.'. And then I realized everything was dying. I started attacking back (which probably didn't matter) and actually won the fight.

Spiny is the best early game Ds mutation, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 11th January 2016, 12:58

Hurkyl wrote:*POOF* Instant porcupine.
Awesome story. Don't mess with the porcupine!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice