What does "(++) (normal EV)" mean?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 11th January 2016, 16:00

What does "(++) (normal EV)" mean?

This sometimes appears in xv on monsters. I think this means that it's a humanoid monster that might have its EV reduced by wearing armor, with its naked EV whatever is in the parentheses. If this is the case, perhaps it would be better for it to say, "(before armor)" instead of, "(normal EV)". If this isnt' what it means, then that's even more reason to change the wording.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 11th January 2016, 16:47

Re: What does "(++) (normal EV)" mean?

it means the monster is sleeping or something like that, so it doesn't dodge anything, and apparently you need the reminder. Conversely IIRC, when monster AC is reduced by corrosion, the reduced +s are not in brackets.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 11th January 2016, 17:21

Seriously? I guess it makes sense when you explain it that way. Poor wording.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 11th January 2016, 17:35

I've had sleeping monsters dodge spells. :P

I expect the only reason sleeping monsters can't dodge melee attacks is because that check is preempted by the guaranteed stab.

I'm not sure about ranged attacks.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th January 2016, 18:48

Hurkyl wrote:I've had sleeping monsters dodge spells. :P

I expect the only reason sleeping monsters can't dodge melee attacks is because that check is preempted by the guaranteed stab.

I'm not sure about ranged attacks.

Ranged attacks share most of the same to hit code as melee ones (yes ranged attacks can't be dodged by sleeping creatures, you even get a stab bonus with blowguns specifically, generally increasing the duration of the effect)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice