How does attack spell success work? Can you improve?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 5th January 2016, 22:32

How does attack spell success work? Can you improve?

Can someone break down how attack spell success really works? Is there any real way to improve it. What is shown in game is totally bogus and worthless. Is there any way to really improve the success rate with attack spells?

I cast and cast spells at monster and they almost never work. For me success rate is under 10% no mater what I do. The failure rate shown in game is 1% but I find it near impossible to damage anything.
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
●→ Wins: MiFi,MiGl DsFi HoBe DDHu DECj DrCj ←●
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th January 2016, 22:35

Re: How does attack spell success work? Can you improve?

What spells are you casting, against what monsters? You really should provide a character dump. The spell success display is not "totally bogus and worthless". If you make claims like that, it's hard to take you seriously.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 5th January 2016, 23:19

Spell success rate is simply the chance of casting the spell and not the chance of the spell hitting the target.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 6th January 2016, 00:22

The formulas for spell accuracy as a function of spell power are found in LearnDB under each spell's entry, but not in the wiki.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 6th January 2016, 05:16

I really recommend watching other players start casters to learn tricks. Each book has different tricks you need to leverage, frequently the starting book has nearly everything you need to clear lair.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 6th January 2016, 15:43

It's almost like showing spell to-hit in game would benefit newbies....

For this message the author Rast has received thanks:
duvessa

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 6th January 2016, 20:46

It's almost like showing weapon to-hit and to-damage in game would benefit newbies, too. It's not like showing EV & AC & SH & HP & MP & action speed in auts spoils people.
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

For this message the author kuniqs has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Rast

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 6th January 2016, 22:06

First level conjuration spells just aren't super effective, except for freeze which has a range of 1.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 7th January 2016, 20:01

MainiacJoe wrote:The formulas for spell accuracy as a function of spell power are found in LearnDB under each spell's entry, but not in the wiki.
How do you use it? It just shows a a random jumble of quotes for me. I do a search for spell and get zero results.

edgefigaro wrote:I really recommend watching other players start casters to learn tricks. Each book has different tricks you need to leverage, frequently the starting book has nearly everything you need to clear lair.
Is there some way to watch other players games or see what hey did? Is there a history of winners or something? I just don't understand how this works.
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
●→ Wins: MiFi,MiGl DsFi HoBe DDHu DECj DrCj ←●
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 7th January 2016, 20:18

Lawndart Jedi wrote:
MainiacJoe wrote:The formulas for spell accuracy as a function of spell power are found in LearnDB under each spell's entry, but not in the wiki.
How do you use it? It just shows a a random jumble of quotes for me. I do a search for spell and get zero results.

Follow this link it takes you to an entry with links to nearly every spell: https://crawl.develz.org/learndb/#list_ ... _by_school. In general, /#entry_with_spaces_turned_into_underscores is the pattern of URLs.

Let's compare Stone Arrow and Sandblast, which you had on your most recent game:

Code:
stone arrow
A level 3 earth/conjuration spell. Found in the book of Geomancy, starting book for EEs. Does 3d11 dmg at max power. Does massive damage from ghosts for some reason. To-hit: 8+power/10.

Code:
sandblast
Wield stones (sling bullets don't count) to do more damage and increase range from 2 to 3 with this spell. Sandblast with stones maxes out at 2d20 damage, although damage reduction from enemy AC is applied three times instead of once. Og and Tr can use large rocks, with damage maxing out at 3d20. To-hit: 13+power/10 with ammo, 8+power/5 otherwise.

So sandblast is more accurate than stone arrow at any power level, even using just dust. You have to check the wiki for some reason to get damage formulas: 3d(5+Power/8) for Stone Arrow, 1d(8+Power/4) for Sandblast with dust and 2d(4+Power/3) with stones.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th January 2016, 21:15

MainiacJoe wrote:
Lawndart Jedi wrote:

Follow this link it takes you to an entry with links to nearly every spell: https://crawl.develz.org/learndb/#list_ ... _by_school. In general, /#entry_with_spaces_turned_into_underscores is the pattern of URLs.

Let's compare Stone Arrow and Sandblast, which you had on your most recent game:

Code:
stone arrow
A level 3 earth/conjuration spell. Found in the book of Geomancy, starting book for EEs. Does 3d11 dmg at max power. Does massive damage from ghosts for some reason. To-hit: 8+power/10.

Code:
sandblast
Wield stones (sling bullets don't count) to do more damage and increase range from 2 to 3 with this spell. Sandblast with stones maxes out at 2d20 damage, although damage reduction from enemy AC is applied three times instead of once. Og and Tr can use large rocks, with damage maxing out at 3d20. To-hit: 13+power/10 with ammo, 8+power/5 otherwise.

So sandblast is more accurate than stone arrow at any power level, even using just dust. You have to check the wiki for some reason to get damage formulas: 3d(5+Power/8) for Stone Arrow, 1d(8+Power/4) for Sandblast with dust and 2d(4+Power/3) with stones.

Note that this doesn't factor in the power cap for each spell (Which happens to be the same for stone arrow and sandblast, but generally speaking, it's something to be aware of.)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice