Advice on a Demigod Skald build

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 30th December 2015, 02:32

Advice on a Demigod Skald build

Hi,

As a Demigod Skald (Charms magic),I start out as Str/Int/Dex = 15/16/15 and add 2 points to a chosen Attribute every 3rd level (another 18 points total).

My longterm plan is to become an Axe Fighter with high skills in Charms (fight buffs) and Translocations (defense and escape).

How should I distribute my attribute points?

I was thinking: I definitely wanna cast Controlled Blink reliably and fight whilst wearing (Crystal?) Plate at the same time. And I can probably leave Dex as is.

So, any tips on balancing Str and Int?

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 30th December 2015, 03:01

Re: Advice on a Demigod Skald build

Woah Easy There. You are planning way to far ahead with poor information. You get to choose 1 attribute point every 3 levels. Another is randomly given to a random stat every 3 levels (this varies by race). So you get to choose 9 of your 18 stat gains. This is wrong, your original post is correct.

Second, you want Dex until a) dex 24 or b) you have a (good!) piece of plate or heavier armor. There are reasons for this, but mainly because dodging is more useful than armor right now.

Don't worry about these two things though. Get to lair, get to your first rune. Don't worry too much about that stat choice.

The way to cast CBlink in Crystal Plate is to read a scroll of blinking (?blink)

Have Fun!
Last edited by edgefigaro on Wednesday, 30th December 2015, 04:31, edited 1 time in total.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 30th December 2015, 03:50

As Dg you get to choose all of your stat gains. Axes generaly suck. You can win a DgSk with axes, but your life will be a lot easier if you choose a better weapon type. polearms work very well with skald because they work well with spectral weapon. I would put the first 2-3 stat points into int. try to change into ring mail ASAP when you first get int the dungeon. Train polearms (or whatever weapon skill you took) untill while you clear D:1 and maybe D:2, then get hexes to 3 and start casting spectral weapon.

getting C-Blink castable in CPA takes a lot of stats and exp. CPA is too hard to find to reliably find. Planning to go for plate armour is find, but don't discount an early storm/shadow dragon armour (unlikely) or a good randart one (admittedly also unlikely). Fire/Ice dragon armours are good too if the resistance work out (more likely for FDA than IDA). Getting c-Blink online is likely only going to happen in extended. The spell is useful but it doesn't do anything for your killing power and it is a huge investment. Particularly high charms magic isn't that useful (even though charms are good) because the highest level charms that are any good are haste and deflect missiles which are both level 6. Ring of fire sucks and there are no higher level charms.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

For this message the author WingedEspeon has received thanks:
Tranquil Suit

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 30th December 2015, 04:30

Deaths Door is Level 8 charms/necromancy.

I am wrong about DG stat gains. Retracted.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 30th December 2015, 10:06

I really like spectral weapon and axes combo, you can basically plow trough everything, like a hurricane :)
On stats to cast in plate I advice to allocate at least 7 points in str (23), high str makes casting in armour a lot easier then jus int. Rest in int (27) but this depends on stat-up gear dropped ofc.
In cpa(if you find any) I'd like around 30 str.
aka: Innameasone and electricaloddity

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 30th December 2015, 13:53

Fyi, I can only add attributes per 2 points. So I can't split the 18 points like +7 Str +11 INt

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 30th December 2015, 14:40

To expand a bit on the stat allocation/armour choice bit, if your goal is to win a demigod skald, don't plan to wear CPA and cast controlled blink. It's entirely possible that neither one will spawn in your game, or will only spawn very late. So, if your goal is to win, use the best armour you find and choose your stat upgrades accordingly, and train the skills that will help you at the present moment.

If your goal is to go for this build, and then hopefully also win, then I'd recommend putting your first stat boost into intelligence, then get str to the mid 20s, then go back to int, and at all times wear the heaviest armour you can find.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks:
Tranquil Suit

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice