Early-game DsWa artefact choice

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 21st December 2015, 15:59

Early-game DsWa artefact choice

So I just came across the Majin-Bo and the Glaive of Prune early on. I started off training polearms, but found the Majin-Bo, so switched to Staves. I don't have a spellbook yet though, so the Archmagi and Int bonus isn't doing much for me. In addition, I had to stop using the shield I was training up. I thought I'd be clever and started worshipping Sif after getting the staff, but 2 floors down I've found the Prune glaive, and I'm wondering if it would be better to switch back to polearms or continue using the Majin-Bo and go the spellcasting route.

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 21st December 2015, 16:50

Alethiolet wrote:and started worshipping Sif after getting the staff, but 2 floors down I've found the Prune glaive, and I'm wondering if it would be better to switch back to polearms or continue using the Majin-Bo and go the spellcasting route.

I'm not sure if taking Sif with your DsWn was a good idea. (S)he might eventually give some useful spellbooks for a fighter, nevertheless Sif is for sure no classical fighter god.

In the long run Sif + Majin-Bo should make a really good caster once you get spellbooks, e.g. aiming for fire/ice magic and conjurations. However, things are not that easy as Sif will start to give books at 6*. Until then Sif doesn't help at all - unless you are happy and find an early book.

So probably you have to fight your way through the early dungeon. The Majin-Bo is a very good weapon for quite a while. The Glaive of Prune is strong but needs a lot of XP (min delay is at polearm skill 20!).

As a general piece of advice: it's a good idea to show your actual character when asking for advice, i.e. putting your dump in code tags as you'll find it in the YAVP/YASD forum.

Good luck!

For this message the author Turukano has received thanks:
Alethiolet

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 21st December 2015, 17:57

Re: Early-game DsWa artefact choice

I'd have gone with glaive. While Vamp is nice, its very weak and a tedious tabfest to use majinbo post-lair.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 21st December 2015, 23:35

Ma-jin bo Doesn't do enough damage to be worth using as a melee weapon. Glaive of the prune if great. Switch back to the glaive.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

For this message the author WingedEspeon has received thanks:
duvessa

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 22nd December 2015, 00:10

A big problem with going with Sif with a char like this is that you only get piety for training magic skills, and if you don't have a book yet, you can't train magic skills very much. I guess you could train spellcasting, but you get no real benefit from it, so that would be pretty much throwing skill points under your mattress instead of putting them in something that kills things or keeps you alive. And getting piety up to the point where Sif starts throwing books at you would be a challenge. So until you find some book, you really can't get anywhere with Sif.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice