Beogh's Inappropriate Wrath in v.17

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 18th December 2015, 10:49

Beogh's Inappropriate Wrath in v.17

I've noticed that playing a Hill Orc (follower of Beogh) in v17 is dangerous because suddenly you will do something unexplained and be in penitence with Beogh without warning or even notification. This seems slightly counterintuitive to me (like a number of changes in V17 that I won't go into because opinions.) Is this behavior going to stay in the stable builds? If so I guess I am done with DCSS for the foreseeable future. Not very sad as I think I have had maybe 6 wins total and none with 17.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 18th December 2015, 13:02

Re: Beogh's Inappropriate Wrath in v.17

So sad

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 18th December 2015, 13:07

If you get penance without warning it is probably a bug, not an intentional change as you bizarrely imply. Do you remember what you did to make this happen?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 18th December 2015, 14:19

didnt you just tab with a projectile? or stumble into another orc while confused? or butchered a orc corpse in a stack of other corpses? there are many ways to accidentally get yourself under silly penance but paying attention usually prevents that.
You shall never see my color again.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 18th December 2015, 15:37

dynast wrote:didnt you just tab with a projectile?

Ugh, tabbing with projectiles should default to not having them keep going if they miss. Actually, is there an .rc option for this?
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
Rast

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 18th December 2015, 20:11

njvack wrote:
dynast wrote:didnt you just tab with a projectile?

Ugh, tabbing with projectiles should default to not having them keep going if they miss. Actually, is there an .rc option for this?

Isn't it AUTOFIGHT_FIRE_STOP = true ? I'm not sure, but my ranged autofight definitely stops by default.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 18th December 2015, 20:44

I am 100% sure that the game prompts before doing anything that dynast mentioned. My guess would be an elemental evoker since they don't have targeters at all (except phial)

I also got penance for a good god by using tukima on a demon trident, but that's not Beogh.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 18th December 2015, 21:43

Were you wearing a shield of reflection?
aka: Innameasone and electricaloddity

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 18th December 2015, 22:50

In my last beogh game, I found out the hard way that throwing while confused can throw in any direction and doesn't prompt you if allies are nearby

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 18th December 2015, 23:29

Nope, tabbing sucks. I almost never tab anything that isn't a) a rat or b) a bat. I don't believe I did any of the above mentioned things that might typically trigger beogh wrath. I have played tons of HOs in previous versions and never once triggered wrath.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 18th December 2015, 23:34

WalrusKing wrote:In my last beogh game, I found out the hard way that throwing while confused can throw in any direction and doesn't prompt you if allies are nearby

That's pretty ugly. Surely a prompt is the standard by now? Hope that gets fixed. Still not what happened with me. I have no idea WHY it happened and the logs were not helpful either (I couldn't even find the initial declaration of wrath.) I don't think it is a bug (how often do we find bugs once a version is stable? For me it is pretty rare, though I didn't play v16 stable very much, and prior versions I often played trunk versions.)

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 18th December 2015, 23:41

Hopeless wrote:
WalrusKing wrote:In my last beogh game, I found out the hard way that throwing while confused can throw in any direction and doesn't prompt you if allies are nearby

That's pretty ugly. Surely a prompt is the standard by now? Hope that gets fixed. Still not what happened with me. I have no idea WHY it happened and the logs were not helpful either (I couldn't even find the initial declaration of wrath.) I don't think it is a bug (how often do we find bugs once a version is stable? For me it is pretty rare, though I didn't play v16 stable very much, and prior versions I often played trunk versions.)

I mean, my counterplay was to switch to Zin and win 15 runes but that probably doesn't work on non-diesel characters

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 19th December 2015, 03:08

Hopeless wrote:I don't think it is a bug (how often do we find bugs once a version is stable?
Pretty often, actually.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 19th December 2015, 03:48

duvessa wrote:
Hopeless wrote:I don't think it is a bug (how often do we find bugs once a version is stable?
Pretty often, actually.

Certainly more often than we discover that "put the player under penance for no reason" was an intentional change in a stable version.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 21st December 2015, 07:24

amalloy wrote:
duvessa wrote:
Pretty often, actually.

Certainly more often than we discover that "put the player under penance for no reason" was an intentional change in a stable version.

Fine...it is a bug. Glad to know you aren't deliberately alienating players by making the game harder so that some people can be even more stoked about beating the game while the rest of us look on in amazed admiration...

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 21st December 2015, 19:42

Admiration accepted.

For this message the author RBrandon has received thanks:
Hopeless

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice