When to use amulet of harm

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 15th December 2015, 07:32

When to use amulet of harm

I just found a new amulet, while playing trunk. Amulet of harm: Increases all damage done by and to you 25%, causes drain when taken off.

I was considering using this on my VsAs of Pakellas, since I got a dagger of speed that attacks fast and needs bonus to punch. Then again, the bonus is % based, which is not much on a dagger. This migh make my stabbs considerably more powerfull, but stabs are already plenty powerfull, my hp is low and I do not have that good defences, I think I should take this off.

This is probably a good amulet on heavy weapons users, ranged characters and evasive characters, but quite lethal on squishy races.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 15th December 2015, 07:42

Re: When to use amulet of harm

IMO the answer is "never". When you die in crawl it is usually due to bad luck in a hard encounter, and the amulet lets that happen more easily especially on a VS that can't quaff HW. A speed dagger is a fine weapon for a VS however because a lot of your damage comes from your bite.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 15th December 2015, 07:47

if it's not "never" I'd imagine it's on a tanky character in heavy armor and shield wielding a triple sword or something.

(is the harm multiplier before or after AC?)

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 15th December 2015, 07:57

Since it affects all damage, ranged characters also get a great benefit from it. They get to use the bonus before a great portion of enemies get to benefit from it.

For this message the author MrRokkomies has received thanks:
MainiacJoe

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 15th December 2015, 08:01

MrRokkomies wrote:Since it affects all damage, ranged characters also get a great benefit from it. They get to use the bonus before a great portion of enemies get to benefit from it.

until they step on a tele trap into the middle of a bunch of enemies and need escape. then they get all the drawbacks and none of the benefits.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 15th December 2015, 08:38

There are surely other asymmetries too; e.g. you don't become 25% more likely to be paralyzed. How does it interact with torment?

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 15th December 2015, 12:56

It doesn't increase torment damage.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 15th December 2015, 13:10

Why? And are there other exceptions?

For this message the author asdu has received thanks:
duvessa

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 15th December 2015, 20:40

If I'm not mistaken, torment doesn't really do "damage," instead it cuts your hp in half. So the amulet of harm doesn't do anything to it.

And yeah, I wouldn't wear the aumulet. Yes, on a ranged character it could help somewhat, but... damage spikes are still more dangerous than monsters getting into melee. With monsters getting into melee, a timely retreat neutralizes the issue, but it's harder to anticipate damage spikes.

I'd say an EV character is one of the worst characters to use this amulet on (unless you're playing a high hp, high EV character). Many EV characters tend to have lower hp, and when they take a hit, they already get hit hard. Now add on the extra damage from the amulet, and you're likely to get one-shotted or two-shotted when there isn't much you can do about it.
Last edited by ydeve on Tuesday, 15th December 2015, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 15th December 2015, 21:45

Ranged attack users. This makes your mp and ammo last longer.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 15th December 2015, 23:34

edgefigaro wrote:Ranged attack users. This makes your mp and ammo last longer.
Conjurers concerned with keeping MP and killing things faster is really the only viable answer. And then you'd have to be a medium armour caster to try it (Caster in a robe would take too much damage). So ShDA-wearing Air or Fire Elementalist? +25% damage after spellpower would help a lot.

Side note; how does this work with pseudo-summons? Like CBL or IOOD?
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks:
ydeve

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 16th December 2015, 10:36

Just throwing this out there, but the draining you get from unequipping the amulet is pretty minor. I see it more as a situational item that you won't mind switching out now and then.

I play a lot of stabbers, and I've for sure had characters who would use this on Z:5 as they had no way to kill OoF's in a reasonable amount of turns, so the choice was always "get lit up like a Christmas tree" vs "ninja the orb and hope for the best". With rMut gone, this is even more true than before. I'm sure there are other situations where you'd want to kill more quickly, like as a ranged character in Vaults.

For this message the author Celerity has received thanks: 3
duvessa, stoneychips, ydeve

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 18th December 2015, 19:07

I've been using it on my current decj. Two runes down, and he's still going strong which is a stark contrast to how my deep elves usually end up. I just seem to have just enough mp to obliterate three or four things and then get away to recharge, leading to fewer cases of running away while getting hit. If I believe I am about to get hit, I can always haste and then remove the amulet and take the drain, although I haven't had to.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th December 2015, 20:00

Here's the secret to avoiding damage spikes while using amulet of harm: put it on when you need the damage boost, instead of wearing it while exploring which there is no reason to do

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 18th December 2015, 21:35

Death cobs are another asymmetry.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice