Okawaru gifts - bad luck? :(

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 23rd July 2011, 12:12

Okawaru gifts - bad luck? :(

Atm i am playing a NaWz. I have gotten 3 gifts so far, all 3 are jokes tbh!
They were:
- a dwarven shield (can't use it lol)
- a crossbow
- a sling

If i only had rolled a MdFi lol ><

Edit:

4th gift: large shield.
5th gift: shield
6th gift: large shield
Last edited by speciesxx on Saturday, 23rd July 2011, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 23rd July 2011, 12:43

Re: Okawaru gifts - bad luck? :(

The REALLY bad luck was choosing Oka for that background...
(p.s. this is stupid some dev please make it not stupid) - minmay

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 23rd July 2011, 12:48

Is there any reason i keep getting shoe damn shields? :S

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 23rd July 2011, 13:06

According to the bots, Nagas only need 9 shield skill to use a medium shield with no penalty.

Http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/bots

For this message the author jejorda2 has received thanks:
speciesxx

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 23rd July 2011, 13:23

Thanks, gonna train it up. Might have something to do with the fact i was using a 1hander without a shield (didn't find a buckler so far :S).
So maybe its coded like that?

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 23rd July 2011, 15:41

Got 3 more gifts, 1 was a 2h sword, 2 others... shields again lmao

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 23rd July 2011, 16:41

That's oka for you.

But then he turns around and gives you a randart demon whip of electricity with 4 resists...

Also, as a naga, get up on those shields! You can be using a large one by branch end time with no penalty.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 23rd July 2011, 20:01

mrbobbyg wrote:That's oka for you.

But then he turns around and gives you a randart demon whip of electricity with 4 resists...

Also, as a naga, get up on those shields! You can be using a large one by branch end time with no penalty.

Do you mean its just luck based, or that i get so many shields as being a Wizard? :)

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 23rd July 2011, 21:22

Oka Is a pretty good god for all classes, as the armour gifts can be awesome for whatever you're playing as, so he should give you useful stuff sooner or later. Amulet of Faith helps alot with this!

Get shields up ASAP, they're really useful and there is no reason you shouldn't be using them, especially as nagas don't take as long to get to no penalty!
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 23rd July 2011, 21:57

Bim wrote:Oka Is a pretty good god for all classes, as the armour gifts can be awesome for whatever you're playing as, so he should give you useful stuff sooner or later. Amulet of Faith helps alot with this!

Gourmand > faith.
Witth gourmand a couple yaks mean no food problems for quite some time, which frees up a lot of corpses for sacrifice, and your piety won't go down the drain if at some point you need to switch to rMut or whatever.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 23rd July 2011, 23:54

asdu wrote:
Bim wrote:Oka Is a pretty good god for all classes, as the armour gifts can be awesome for whatever you're playing as, so he should give you useful stuff sooner or later. Amulet of Faith helps alot with this!

Gourmand > faith.
Witth gourmand a couple yaks mean no food problems for quite some time, which frees up a lot of corpses for sacrifice, and your piety won't go down the drain if at some point you need to switch to rMut or whatever.

Agreed on this. Faith is a great amulet, but once you start needing stasis and rmut it is super not good. Gourmand allows you to make far more efficient uses of chunks.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 24th July 2011, 18:18

speciesxx wrote:Do you mean its just luck based, or that i get so many shields as being a Wizard? :)

Starting backgrounds don't count for anything past turn 1. If you really don't wand shields gift, just wield a 2-handers.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2011, 13:19

mrbobbyg wrote:
asdu wrote:

Gourmand > faith.

Agreed on this. Faith is a great amulet, but once you start needing stasis and rmut it is super not good. Gourmand allows you to make far more efficient uses of chunks.

Shoot, I've had terrible luck with Oka of late. That said, I'm surprised to see people talking up Gourmand. With gourmand, 1-2 yaktaurs will fill you up for a long time, during which it's not so useful. The 50 other critter you slay during that time are contributing to piety -- wouldn't you rather have on an amulet of faith during that stretch? I'd generally stick with faith until I've got great armour and weapons, then swap to other amulets that become more helpful later on (rMut, Warding). But maybe thinking like this is why I think Oka is a weak god (meaning I'm thinking wrong?)....

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2011, 19:08

The advantage that gourmand offers over faith is that there is no serious disadvantage to temporarily swapping gourmand out for tactical reasons. Removing faith gives you a big piety hit, so hot-swapping it is not feasible. It limits you.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2011, 21:31

Gourmand also basically triples your food clock. This gives you not only that many more mobs to sacrafice, but also it means that you don't have to carry around chunks "just in case" that go bad.

Is one better? I don't know, but in practice I find that they are relativly rare enough that I will want to use a different amulet before I reach the point where I have both and have to decide.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2011, 21:53

Gourmand is also strictly better for demigods. Faith just boosts their self-esteem.

For this message the author defen has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice