Aiming Orb of Destruction

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 9th December 2015, 14:16

Aiming Orb of Destruction

So for the very first time I've memorized Orb of Destruction and I'm looking forward to blowing stuff up with it. I've read though that it doesn't always go straight, so I went to an upper dungeon to practice on doors. Well I wasn't prepared for what happened: in some cases it is taking 10 orbs to blow up the door! At edge of LOS, it seems hopeless, no matter whether I'm in line with the door or one or two squares to the side. Closer range of 3-4 isn't that much better. I've even stood two squares away from a door, line on, and hit the wall five times before blowing up the door! For you WWII buffs, I feel like Dan Daspit in Tinosa.

Now two hapless curious ogres were engaged at edge of LOS and smithereened nicely with no misses. I'm hoping that moving monsters get hit more often than stationary targets, because the opportunity cost in MP and auts of firing 4-5 orbs to get one hit seems awfully steep. What am I doing wrong?
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 9th December 2015, 14:36

Re: Aiming Orb of Destruction

I can't remember ever purposefully using them on doors, but generally: They really do get distracted by walls. Doors kind of tend to have walls around, so... Not surprising.

The rule of thumb for me (when I do rarely play conjurers) is send them into open space, as separated from walls as possible. If your back is to the wall and or there's mostly open space right around your target, no walls right beside the route, then odds are better.

They also turn out slightly weak if you hit something point-blank range; they need a few moments to charge or something to full strength. So if your ogres are standing in an open field a few spaces away (or further as you mention), that is about ideal in my understanding.

I don't really specialize in conjurations much yet, but more or less so sayeth the Wiki and that's usually worked for me in the past.
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 9th December 2015, 15:34

Orbs of destruction don't actively track terrain features you launch them at, but they do actively track monsters you launch them at. For practice, try launching them at orcs in the mines.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks:
MainiacJoe

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 9th December 2015, 15:44

Thanks, Lasty. I've been using it in Elf by retreating to the far end of a little chamber, and launching when the following enemy enters the chamber from the other side. Very effective and I've only missed once. Your note explains perfectly why my "practice session" wasn't giving accurate results.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 9th December 2015, 16:38

Incidentally, spellpower doesn't seem to have any effect on Orbs. They do the same damage as a function of range regardless of one's Conjurations, correct?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th December 2015, 16:53

No more spellpower does increase damage, they just do less than full damage at super close range, the orb message doesn't change with more spellpower though (explodes weakly) that is strictly related to range.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
MainiacJoe

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 17th December 2015, 05:16

According to learndb, spellpower does affect OODs:

The maximum angle perturbation decreases with spell power. 50: +/-46.3 deg 75: +/-31.8 deg 100: +/-24.1 deg 150: +/-16.2 deg 200: +/-12.2 deg (if the caster is wearing amulet of inaccuracy, halve spell power first)

In other words, the greater the power, the more likely your orb is to move in a straight line. Is this still accurate?
<Sequell> elmdor is a greaterplayer!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th December 2015, 05:43

It's true.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
elmdor, Sar

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 18th December 2015, 03:22

Inaccuracy affects OOD? Can I get Placid Magic 3 and Inaccuracy and spam OODS that travel all over the place?

Challenge: Lowest spellpower OODs.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 18th December 2015, 03:26

I guess so although it would still cost 7 MP every time. Maybe try it in wizmode first and see if it is worth the effort of trying to achieve in a regular game. Which I strongly doubt.
<Sequell> elmdor is a greaterplayer!

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 18th December 2015, 03:51

Wizmode is a good plan.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice