DsWz Rings?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 10th June 2011, 04:46

DsWz Rings?

Hello Gentlemen. I have a question about my current adventurer. He's a lvl 9 Demonspawn Wizard (named Torment). Still early game, but I'd prefer not to lose this one to something stupid. He's turned into a bit of a close combat beast, even though it's not his specialty. He's mostly covered in spines, has razor sharp claws and toenails, and has a bitching pair of horns. In addition to being in possession of the +2, +5 Glaive of the Goat (drain, +2 Strength). I've got a plethora of magical rings, which should I use? Here are my options:

A ring of sustenance
A +4 ring of Dexterity
Two +4 rings of Protection
A ring of sustenance
A ring of protection from fire
A ring of magical power

And...

A +4, +5 ring of slaying :o

Anyway, I'm currently wearing the ring of slaying and one of the rings of Protection. Any other recommendations or is that the best all-purpose combo?

hxy

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 10th June 2011, 05:44

Re: DsWz Rings?

I'd go sustenance + slaying... swap sustenance for protection only if you find you're always taking lots of damage

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 10th June 2011, 08:31

Maybe consider swapping on magic power in lair incase you need to put down a conj flame field.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th June 2011, 11:33

I'd probably wear magical power for the early game, until the end of Lair and Orc or until you get another ring that's just too good to leave magical power on. A 9-point boost is big when your base mp pool is small, and even with the slaying ring you're going to be spamming spells for most of your fighting. One of the +4AC rings is probably your best bet for your other main ring, and you can switch to rF+ if you face fire monsters. +dex goes in the trash, and sustenance in your stash.

Swap to the slaying ring whenever you try to train fighting, and it may end up being left on permanently later on. Switch to a lighter weapon, too; glaives are slow weapons so you'll get relatively few fighting-training events while you use one.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 10th June 2011, 11:34

Yup, pretty much what they said. I'd go for slaying + MP, and switch to sustenance when safe or traveling far.
In the early game I always haul about a lot of extra resistance rings. Since swapping is fairly fast, there are plenty of situations where that rF+ could be the difference between getting an easy kill or becoming a toasted snack.

With those mutations, I'm sure he'd be pals with my current bony, spiny DSDK. But more importantly that sounds awesome for unarmed combat. If you train that and got some good transmutation spells, it might be fun!

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 10th June 2011, 12:20

On a related note, does Slaying affect Spines or auxiliary unarmed attacks?
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 10th June 2011, 12:31

dolphin wrote:On a related note, does Slaying affect Spines or auxiliary unarmed attacks?

It doesn't affect spines, but it does have a little effect on aux attacks.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice