how do monsters prioritize sound??

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 20th November 2015, 07:55

how do monsters prioritize sound??

It seems pretty clear that awake monsters know the location of a sound that they hear, and sound always attracts them.
So, monsters always try to move towards sources of sound so long as they have not "noticed" a target, such as you.
However, monsters can hear lots of sounds at the same time - screaming all around them, clashing and clanking from combat, explosions going off.
How do they prioritize what they do about sound? e.g. do they change their mind every time they hear a sound, to follow it?

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 20th November 2015, 16:44

Re: how do monsters prioritize sound??

if an orc shouts and nobody is around to hear it

did it make a sound?
I love pitsprint and pitsprint culture.
dpeg wrote:The only good player is a dead player.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 2nd December 2015, 03:21

Really? No responses? Does nobody actually know? Surprising, because this topic is important. Much of the challenge in Crawl is due to multiple monsters being able to attack you. And that is made possible almost exclusively due to sound. Without sound, Crawl tactics would look very different. Luring would actually be plain common sense, rather than ridiculously spoilery. So it's important to know how monsters notice and respond to sound.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 2nd December 2015, 04:56

Well, first of all there's no "same time" in crawl, there's no "time" in the manner you're implying, monsters have a status like awake or not, and a possible destination set if they are "heading somewhere" and if they have noticed you, then they, of course try to kill you.

As far as I know, they don't change direction every time they hear a noise, they only respond to new noises when they're "wandering" (which happens when they get to their destination, presuming they can't see you)

For some of the things you mentioned, it only matters when *you* make a noise, explosions that aren't caused by you don't attract monsters, nor do attacks that you don't make. "Screaming" isn't really a thing, there's a shout, which happens when a critter sees you, which does attract monsters (similar to your own shouting)

So it looks something like this:
1. You do something that makes a sound (Or a monster sees you and shouts)
2. Every monster who doesn't have a destination set has a chance to hear it (and wake up if asleep)
3. Every monster who heard it, now sets that the location of the sound as a destination.
4. On each monster's turn they move toward the destination if they don't see you.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 2
stoneychips, tasonir

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 4th December 2015, 23:28

I propose we call this the "I heard a door open so I'm going to ignore those explosions" model of sound. In any case, thanks for the writeup, it's useful information.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 9th December 2015, 19:56

tasonir wrote:I propose we call this the "I heard a door open so I'm going to ignore those explosions" model of sound. In any case, thanks for the writeup, it's useful information.

The monsters are acclimated to all the random explosions in the dungeon. Doors opening is a novel sound though!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice