how to win a centaur

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 15th November 2015, 02:52

how to win a centaur

how do I win a centaur

these things have no armour or dodging ever

they fucking suck shit

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Moose

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 15th November 2015, 05:42

Re: how to win a centaur

run away

worship fedhas

use ranged

For this message the author ebering has received thanks:
Sar

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 15th November 2015, 05:48

You can also use a large enchanted shield to deflect a lot of the damage, if you're going melee.

I made it down to Zot with a Shield of the Gong :lol: on a centaur once, and further with a shield of protection.

With work, they can train mediocre dodging or some armor but it takes time. You usually get barding sooner or later.
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

For this message the author stoneychips has received thanks:
Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 15th November 2015, 07:38

ce AC is fine, they have tough skin and str
dont bother with dodging

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Sar

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 15th November 2015, 07:40

I already did.

I can't play a char without EV, tbh. Getting hit by every single bolt of draining is annoying. Iron devils landing every hit and corroding me down to -24 AC in Dis is annoying. Cobs landing every hit... you get it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 15th November 2015, 08:20

super secret shadow dragon tech: kite them from near the edge of los because bolt of draining has awful range and they can't hit you

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 4
byrel, nago, Sar, stoneychips

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 15th November 2015, 08:33

haha what, I thought dragon breaths are all full los for some reason

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 15th November 2015, 08:42

only storm dragons and quicksilver dragons have full los range on any of their attacks

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 5
byrel, nago, Sar, stoneychips, zxc23

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 15th November 2015, 09:07

I don't think that "dont bother with dodging" applies when you are in extended and have a fuckton of xp to spend.

Also, my Ce win had 41 AC and 21 EV, and that was only 3 runes. I guess that is not bad at all.

http://underhound.eu:81/crawl/morgue/ma ... 142725.txt

For this message the author Magipi has received thanks:
Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 15th November 2015, 09:42

My CeVM had AC 37 EV 16 but also Phase Shift and Deflect Missiles.

I was going to say something about basic Ce play but then I noticed you were talking about Zot and extended...

For shadow dragons specifically I would swap on a rN+ ring and use misc evokables to distract the dragon.

(Currently playing a CeWn of Yred, but not in Lair yet.)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Sar

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 15th November 2015, 11:05

Is this a serious post? Short answer: Ce is fucking annoying to play. Just a little less than Fe.

Ce tends to have mediocre ac - until armour training and ?ea kicks in - and awful ev - until you get enough dex from level up and hopefully items (that could mean by U:5 or zot).
Unless getting lucky with items they need much moooore time to become a tanky race, in comparison for example to Na (as you like to play those), so you can't just tab down things until everything is dead.

You need to rely on your speed 2 - to kite things early on and to get best positioning later. As long as you do that, they're pretty much unkillable: as Duvessa said they can have ac, they have lots of hp and you're faster than most enemies...

Easiest Ce is ranged: kill everything dangerous at near of LOS's edge, tab popcorn monsters with first elec\venon\whatever shit you got. When low of hp run away.
If you wanna melee Ce I'd suggest to start with spear\trident as the game is kinda broken when you can poke things without taking damage back. When low of hp run away.
Ce mage are probably among the strongest and the most fucking annoying combo in the game: you won't have good defences for a good while, because of low str and dex, but you'll be able to run away from anything when mp or hp are low so... run away.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks: 2
Bart, Sar

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 15th November 2015, 11:56

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 15th November 2015, 12:06

Man why a robe! You're not a fucking naga.

And holy crap you're were loaded with sweets goods.

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
duvessa

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 15th November 2015, 17:41

I won my centaur using Dith+throwing and 1h+shield for better defences. It was almost like playing perminatly hasted because of how much your shadow boosts throwing and you faster than normal movement speed, except that I could basicaly double haste and do everything at x2.25 speed. The character was so strong I even decided to get the icy rune for my third rune. It was kind of tedious though because I had to kite half of the monsters in lair with thrown stones to save ammo (and had a total of 6704 stones thrown by the end of the game0.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

For this message the author WingedEspeon has received thanks:
Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 16th November 2015, 11:42

Ok, im about to sound like a crazy person but:
Centaurs are one of the most easily winnable species, they rely heavily on HP and movement speed, things that rng cannot touch.
Always invest all your points into strength, forget about evasion, dont train armour until very late in the game if ever.
Train fighting, lots of it, and only use one type of weapon.
Just think of yourself as a ogre spriggan.
You shall never see my color again.

For this message the author dynast has received thanks: 2
Rast, Sar

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 16th November 2015, 13:02

dynast wrote:Centaurs are one of the most easily winnable species

I find them very difficult species, as it is necessary to have almost angelic patience to not deliberately splat them and play something more fun. Centaur: a winner in a contest for the most annoying and tab-unfriendly species.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 16th November 2015, 13:47

dynast wrote:Ok, im about to sound like a crazy person but:
Centaurs are one of the most easily winnable species, they rely heavily on HP and movement speed, things that rng cannot touch.
Always invest all your points into strength, forget about evasion, dont train armour until very late in the game if ever.
Train fighting, lots of it, and only use one type of weapon.
Just think of yourself as a ogre spriggan.

This suggests that you think Ce ought not invest much if any in spells, but I doubt that's what you meant.
Last edited by MainiacJoe on Monday, 16th November 2015, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 16th November 2015, 14:50

why invest points into strength if you're not going to train armour?
the two seem to go hand-in-hand for me.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 16th November 2015, 15:30

Code:
d - ring "Wakka" {rF+ rC+ Int+3}

Yuna would not want you to give up.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 16th November 2015, 18:47

Well, centaurs relies on speed and that leads to annoying playstyle, but that doesnt mean its harder to win one.
You will learn basic spells eventually because you are not wearing armour, unless you find a very awesome early heavy armour.
And strength is the only guarantee that you will ever kill something as a centaur who never finds a decent weapon.
You shall never see my color again.

For this message the author dynast has received thanks:
Sar

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 16th November 2015, 20:30

dynast wrote:You will learn basic spells eventually because you are not wearing armour, unless you find a very awesome early heavy armour.

Well you can also learn medium/high spells in heavy armour. And a plain /low enchanted plate is usually a very good armour for Ce early on and is very common.

And strength is the only guarantee that you will ever kill something as a centaur who never finds a decent weapon

Protip: a decent weapon for a Ce is the same for any other normal size race, except they're very fast so pole arm are a better choice (but really just grab the first two hander and be happy). Plus they're the best ranged race so anything which shoot things is much better for them than other races.

dynast, Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th November 2015, 01:57

Bart wrote:
dynast wrote:Centaurs are one of the most easily winnable species

I find them very difficult species, as it is necessary to have almost angelic patience to not deliberately splat them and play something more fun. Centaur: a winner in a contest for the most annoying and tab-unfriendly species.

While kiting can be annoying, I'd say centaurs are very tab friendly so long as you're using a ranged weapon, which seems to be their purpose. "Standard" build is CeHu with bows and Okawaru - you should get enough arrow gifts to never run out of arrows. You'll still use some melee weapon for popcorn, but not on anything serious. Trog is also a great option - you really don't want to be casting much/anything to begin with, so there's no downside (for a 3 rune game). You can't berserk with bows, but brothers in arms/regen are always useful. You can berserk if you want to use your melee weapon for something, of course.

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/tasonir/mor ... 115804.txt 15 runes, Okawaru and then switched to TSO for extended. +8 elf longbow (holy) - remember when there were elven longbows? eventually picked up some magic (15 runes makes it possible).
http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/tasonir/mor ... 013015.txt 4 runes, straight Okawaru, found a pretty nice polearm and used a gladiator start to have some better melee before I gathered enough arrows to go heavy ranged. Tried to pick up haste but it was probably a giant waste in the end.
http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/tasonir/mor ... 091706.txt 3 runes, Trog, unarmed. Ended up with 23.1 UC and 22.5 bows, used both. Having b - +11 longbow of Extinguishment {flame, rF++} never hurts. Even the name was awesome. No spells, of course.
http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/tasonir/mor ... 104317.txt 3 runes, Qazlal, demon whips for melee and still bows for main damage. Had pearl dragon armor so I got some casting online. Still pretty minor - I cast regen 304 times and song of slaying 12 times. The rest were all cast less than 10 times. I have a regen addiction.

Keep your casting to a minimum and get heavy armor. If you're lucky enough to find the black knight's barding it is insanely overpowered, don't hesitate to wear ponderous. My Qazlal game had it.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
Sar

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 17th November 2015, 08:25

According to my understanding:
tab-friendly = tab-tab-tab-tab-tab- enemies dead,
tab-unfriendly = tab-tab-reatreat-tab-retreat-retreat-retreat-retreat-tab-tab-enemies dead.

It is optimal to kite enemies that reached the character before they were killed by ranged attacks, it is optimal to kite every other turn when using polearms against non-ranged enemies, it is optimal to kite even more when HPs decreased even though player was already kiting beforehand.

Oh, and then ranged comes with its own anti-tab strategies - maintaining five types of ammo, choosing one of two types of ranged attack (stopping at target/unlimited range) and gathering ammo after each combat (hopefully none landed under plants).

Centaurs demand a lot of patience, a lot of additional keystrokes (do not confuse with turncount) and generally promote what I call degenerate behavior. I would be very happy to see some adjustments to centaurs that would end this, e.g. normal movement speed and swiftness as an activated ability.

For this message the author Bart has received thanks:
nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th November 2015, 11:52

CeVM is the best for kiting. I also don't mind playing a kiting game every now and then. Playing a centaur has quite a unique gameplay to me: my spriggans and felids are stealthy stabbers.

But I admit that the idea of a species with speed 10 and an activated swiftness ability sounds interesting too.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 17th November 2015, 14:26

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Nebuk ... 020535.txt

A CeHu of Oka with 15 runes.
UC+throwing.
Fighting skills maxed out at 22 because of heroism.

For this message the author Nebukadnezar has received thanks:
Sar

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 17th November 2015, 20:57

Centaur was a toughy for me, too.
Eventually I won the same way I won (almost) every other race....made him a caster.
240 health, 80 magic, 38AC
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Avigd ... 231341.txt

Casters that can pretty much guarantee an escape even after depleting all of their magic worked out.

For this message the author Avigdore has received thanks:
Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th November 2015, 22:25

I'm not sure what the point of these morgues is but here are mine.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/hyperminmay/morgue-hyperminmay-20120223-002049.txt
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/hyperminmay/morgue-hyperminmay-20120506-154219.txt
http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/minmay/morgue-minmay-20140117-064807.txt
Melee is obviously suboptimal but if you play a melee centaur and ignore the speed bonus you're still probably better than a melee human because of extra hp and hooves, even after the hooves nerf. You guys are finding melee centaur tab-unfriendly because you're trying to wear robes/leather and yet not train dodging or get substantial spells. Guess what, if you do that on a human or any other species it will also suck. If you're not going to play as a conjurer/summoner or train dodging, wear actual armour. That's how it works as every species except spriggan and felid. A centaur in plate has 2 fewer AC than a human in plate until they find a barding. Wow, what a crippling disadvantage. It's not like they have anything to make up for it like higher hp or a bunch of extra melee damage or being able to walk away from everything.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 4
MainiacJoe, nago, RBrandon, Sar

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 17th November 2015, 23:46

At this point I'll definitely write a wiki guide how to win a Centaur because even good player can't do it!

Here's:
As first and most important thing you want to choose Ce as starting race because this is a guide about to win a Ce and stupid devs won't let you change that later.
Then you should choose Tm as starting background. Background in DCSS is what decides you should do in the game. Tm is best for Ce because they can't wear heavy armour for their deformed body and can't have EV because they are large. With Tm you'll transform in various things so your bad defences don't matter.
You should still use the heaviest armour avaiable in case some enemies spot you while you aren't transformed. Likewise, use the biggest shield avaiable - Ce are large so they get good bonus to use it. If you don't have a large shield by the time you find Lair entrance, you should quit and restart, because Hydras will certainly kill you anyway.
After you start, press 'm' and disable everything but transmutation magic and spellcasting, because it's important to get Blade Hands to 0% asap. Focus on spellcasting because you want to learn the other spells too so you want to have lots of free slots early.
After you have Blade hands at 0% (it could took a while) you can start to train other things. UC is not very important because you have already forms, so train to 10 or so. Don't train other magic skill, Ce have bad apts and you already have spent a lot of experience on magic. You should learn some weapon skill like long blades in case some monster get you while you haven't mp to use form - 15 or 20 is enough I think.
I can't say much about what to do in early dungeon, there are a lot of dangerous monsters so you probably will die a lot - but that is not important, you have played few minutes anyway. When you get to lv.3 learn spider form.See? This is the reason why Tm is best for Ce: now you have lot of EV which you couldn't get in other way! Remember: if you need to run away stay always in spider form because you are harder to hit!
After it's much easier so you can do what you want.
For god I suggest to take Ru because it gives lot of things tm can't do - like blink around or damage enemies from distance. You should always refuse sacrifices until you get sac armour and dodging, because you don't need those anyway. You shouldn't accept any other sacrifices, they're are too hard and they gives enough piety anyway.

This is the CeTm^Ru I've won so I can write this is guide: http://crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/na ... 205330.txt

Please write me if you think there's something wrong or I should add something.

Magipi, Sar

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 00:10

duvessa wrote:I'm not sure what the point of these morgues is but here are mine.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/hyperminmay/morgue-hyperminmay-20120223-002049.txt
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/hyperminmay/morgue-hyperminmay-20120506-154219.txt
http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/minmay/morgue-minmay-20140117-064807.txt
Melee is obviously suboptimal but if you play a melee centaur and ignore the speed bonus you're still probably better than a melee human because of extra hp and hooves, even after the hooves nerf. You guys are finding melee centaur tab-unfriendly because you're trying to wear robes/leather and yet not train dodging or get substantial spells. Guess what, if you do that on a human or any other species it will also suck. If you're not going to play as a conjurer/summoner or train dodging, wear actual armour. That's how it works as every species except spriggan and felid. A centaur in plate has 2 fewer AC than a human in plate until they find a barding. Wow, what a crippling disadvantage. It's not like they have anything to make up for it like higher hp or a bunch of extra melee damage or being able to walk away from everything.

Except if you are not going to wear actual armour on a sprigan/felid, you should train dodging.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 01:44

If you are not going to wear actual armour on a centaur you should train dodging too. I said "don't bother with dodging" because heavy armour is so much better on Ce than not-heavy armour that I assumed Sar would already be wearing it.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Sar

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 08:06

nago wrote:Focus on spellcasting because you want to learn the other spells too so you want to have lots of free slots early.

You should train spellcasting because of spell hunger, what spell slots are you talking about man.

nago wrote:Please write me if you think there's something wrong or I should add something.

You forgot to mention Necromutation.
Perfect wikiguide though.

For this message the author Magipi has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 08:08

The most interesting thing about the thread: Sar already won a 15-rune Ce, a bit more than 2 years ago (win number 31 at http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/sar.html)
Cavinton, man.

The link is broken, however. What is this rl.heh.fi?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 08:20

RHF was a Finnish server. It died. I had pretty good ping on it and it wasn't as popular as CLAN and CXC didn't exist back then.

Also, my first 15 runes win was a CeTm of Okawaru->Lugonu. I even did a Zig! Picked Centaur because wiki said it's strong, Transmuter to cast Necromutation because torment looked really scary, Oka for gifts and Lugonu for panic buttons. Punched dudes in Necromut, put all points in Int and scummed Abyss/Pan for Tornado. Offline, though, so it doesn't count!

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Magipi

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 10:20

If this can help.

I start with oka, for amo. Switched to melee for extended; when I was protected enough

Rely on Shields, as I do for all my characters. A +8 great shield with as much Shield skill as you want (I'm surprised I had only 19 for this character)

And for armor, enchanted FDA (or whichever armor, heavily enchanted because of deformed body mutation). Not heavier. And rise Armour AND Evasion at all time

Learn "haste" to boost your angels

And the secret overpowered weapon (see below)

Code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.15.0 (tiles) character file.

11894889 Robin the Merry Centaur (level 27, 265/265 (273) HPs)
             Began as a Centaur Hunter on Aug 30, 2014.
             Was the Champion of the Shining One.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Sept 1, 2014!

The game lasted 08:12:11 (136922 turns).

Robin the Merry Centaur (Centaur Hunter)          Turns: 136922, Time: 08:12:11

HP 265/265 (273) AC 48     Str 16      XL: 27
MP  35/35        EV 28     Int 10      God: the Shining One [******]
Gold 9715        SH 30     Dex 22      Spells:  8 memorised, 20 levels left

rFire  + + +     SeeInvis .     M - 10 meat rations
rCold  + + +     Clarity  .     c - +8 fire dragon armour (curse)
rNeg   + + +     rCorr    .     J - +8 large shield {rC+} (curse)
rPois  +         rRot     .     X - +2 hat of the Bear Spirit {Spirit, +Rage rN+ MR++}
rElec  .         Spirit   +     l - +0 cloak of Okawaru's Displeasure {rC++ rN+}
SustAb .         Warding  .     U - +5 pair of gloves "Fewiurr" {rF+ Slay+4}
rMut   +         Stasis   .     a - +2 centaur barding "Waiph" {rPois rC+ Stlth++}
Gourm  .                        y - cursed amulet of resist mutation
MR     ++++.                    T - cursed +5 ring of protection
                                S - cursed +5 ring of evasion

@: glowing, very quick, incredibly resistant to hostile enchantments, very
unstealthy
A: hooves 3, deformed body, speed 2, tough skin 3
a: Divine Shield, Cleansing Flame, Summon Divine Warrior, Renounce Religion,
Evoke Berserk Rage
0: Orb of Zot
}: 15/15 runes: decaying, serpentine, slimy, silver, golden, iron, obsidian,
icy, bone, abyssal, demonic, glowing, magical, fiery, dark

You escaped.
You worshipped the Shining One.
The Shining One was exalted by your worship.
You were not hungry.

You visited 18 branches of the dungeon, and saw 97 of its levels.
You visited Pandemonium 2 times, and saw 23 of its levels.
You visited the Abyss 3 times.
You visited 2 Ziggurats, and saw 14 of their levels (deepest: 8).
You also visited: Labyrinth, Sewer and Ossuary.

You collected 14628 gold pieces.
You spent 4913 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 i - a cursed +9 longbow of velocity
 t - a +9 Blessed Trishula
 N - the cursed +8 longbow "Thrusof" {flame, rC+ Dex+4}
   (Okawaru gifted it to you on level 3 of the Vaults)   

It turns projectiles fired from it into bolts of flame.

It affects your dexterity (+4).
   It protects you from cold.
   It has a curse placed upon it.
Missiles
 s - 211 arrows
 D - 44 arrows of dispersal
 I - 63 arrows of flame
Armour
 a - the cursed +2 centaur barding "Waiph" (worn) {rPois rC+ Stlth++}
   (Okawaru gifted it to you on level 3 of the Vaults)   

It protects you from cold.
   It protects you from poison.
   It makes you much more stealthy.
 c - a cursed +8 fire dragon armour (worn)
 l - the cursed +0 cloak of Okawaru's Displeasure (worn) {rC++ rN+}
   (Okawaru gifted it to you on level 3 of a ziggurat)   

It greatly protects you from cold.
   It protects you from negative energy.
 J - a cursed +8 large shield of cold resistance (worn)
 U - the cursed +5 pair of gloves "Fewiurr" (worn) {rF+ Slay+4}
   (Okawaru gifted it to you on level 4 of the Vaults)   

It affects your accuracy and damage with ranged weapons and melee attacks
   (+4).
   It protects you from fire.
 X - the cursed +2 hat of the Bear Spirit (worn) {Spirit, +Rage rN+ MR++}
   (You found it on level 3 of the Elven Halls)   

It protects you from negative energy.
   It affects your resistance to hostile enchantments.
   It lets you go berserk.
Magical devices
 e - a wand of teleportation (9)
 p - a wand of heal wounds (7)
 K - a wand of digging (7)
 R - a wand of digging (13)
Comestibles
 M - 10 meat rations (in hand)
 V - a royal jelly
Scrolls
 b - 24 scrolls of identify
 d - 11 scrolls of fog
 g - 28 scrolls of remove curse
 j - 21 scrolls of blinking
 k - a scroll of silence
 m - 6 scrolls of immolation
 n - a scroll of summoning
 u - 18 scrolls of teleportation
 v - 4 scrolls of enchant weapon
 x - 3 scrolls of fear
 z - 9 scrolls of recharging
 B - 2 scrolls of magic mapping
 O - 2 scrolls of amnesia
Jewellery
 y - a cursed amulet of resist mutation (around neck)
 A - a cursed ring of sustain abilities
 G - the cursed amulet "Psuyfuas" {Clar rElec}
   (You took it off a balrug in Pandemonium)   

[amulet of clarity]

It provides mental clarity.
   It insulates you from electricity.
 S - a cursed +5 ring of evasion (left hand)
 T - a cursed +5 ring of protection (right hand)
Potions
 f - 4 potions of magic
 h - 3 potions of cancellation
 q - 7 potions of brilliance
 r - 4 potions of curing
 w - 4 potions of agility
 E - 4 potions of berserk rage
 F - 3 potions of flight
 H - 8 potions of restore abilities
 L - 8 potions of might
 Q - a potion of resistance

Skills:
 O Level 27 Fighting
   Level 0,1(1,3) Short Blades
   Level 2,2(2,3) Long Blades
 + Level 22,0 Polearms
 O Level 27 Bows
 + Level 20,7 Armour
 + Level 20,9 Dodging
 - Level 0,5 Stealth
 + Level 19,3 Shields
 - Level 7,2 Spellcasting
 - Level 13,9 Charms
 - Level 7,2 Translocations
 - Level 8,0 Air Magic
 - Level 11,0 Invocations

You had 20 spell levels left.
You knew the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Swiftness             Chrm/Air       ####....     1%          2    ##.....
b - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          1%          2    ##.....
c - Portal Projectile     Tloc           ###...       4%          3    ###....
d - Cure Poison           Pois           #.........   52%         2    ##.....
e - Summon Butterflies    Summ           #.......     34%         1    None
f - Corona                Hex            #......      34%         1    None
g - Flight                Chrm/Air       ####......   1%          3    ###....
h - Haste                 Chrm           ####....     17%         6    #######
DCSS wins: MiFi3; GrFi3; GrFi5; MiFi15; DECj3; CeHu15; VSFi15; HOBe15; MiBe15; DgFE3; DsBe; HEMo3; NaMo15; FoFi3; GrWn15; DDFi3; MuGl3; DEFE15

For this message the author gdami1 has received thanks:
Sar

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 15:57

nago wrote:At this point I'll definitely write a wiki guide how to win a Centaur because even good player can't do it!

Here's:
As first and most important thing you want to choose Ce as starting race because this is a guide about to win a Ce and stupid devs won't let you change that later.
Then you should choose Tm as starting background. Background in DCSS is what decides you should do in the game. Tm is best for Ce because they can't wear heavy armour for their deformed body and can't have EV because they are large. With Tm you'll transform in various things so your bad defences don't matter.
You should still use the heaviest armour avaiable in case some enemies spot you while you aren't transformed. Likewise, use the biggest shield avaiable - Ce are large so they get good bonus to use it. If you don't have a large shield by the time you find Lair entrance, you should quit and restart, because Hydras will certainly kill you anyway.
After you start, press 'm' and disable everything but transmutation magic and spellcasting, because it's important to get Blade Hands to 0% asap. Focus on spellcasting because you want to learn the other spells too so you want to have lots of free slots early.
After you have Blade hands at 0% (it could took a while) you can start to train other things. UC is not very important because you have already forms, so train to 10 or so. Don't train other magic skill, Ce have bad apts and you already have spent a lot of experience on magic. You should learn some weapon skill like long blades in case some monster get you while you haven't mp to use form - 15 or 20 is enough I think.
I can't say much about what to do in early dungeon, there are a lot of dangerous monsters so you probably will die a lot - but that is not important, you have played few minutes anyway. When you get to lv.3 learn spider form.See? This is the reason why Tm is best for Ce: now you have lot of EV which you couldn't get in other way! Remember: if you need to run away stay always in spider form because you are harder to hit!
After it's much easier so you can do what you want.
For god I suggest to take Ru because it gives lot of things tm can't do - like blink around or damage enemies from distance. You should always refuse sacrifices until you get sac armour and dodging, because you don't need those anyway. You shouldn't accept any other sacrifices, they're are too hard and they gives enough piety anyway.

This is the CeTm^Ru I've won so I can write this is guide: http://crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/na ... 205330.txt

Please write me if you think there's something wrong or I should add something.

Why you not train long swords? you'll run out of ammo if your forms aren't available long enough. Long swords better than throwing for backup...
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 22:11

Magipi wrote:The most interesting thing about the thread: Sar already won a 15-rune Ce, a bit more than 2 years ago (win number 31 at http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/sar.html)
Cavinton, man.

The link is broken, however. What is this rl.heh.fi?

I actually thought he is trying to complain about the tedium of kiting and shooting or something (or maybe just having a bad day). From the log he posted, it appears that he actually "."-d himself to death with that entropy weaver; there's no way that a strong player with krishna, an elec double sword, nets, blink, full oka piety, and a wand of hasting (looks like he was hasted) is going to accidentally die in that situation.

Code:
The entropy weaver is almost dead!
Firing (i - inventory! (,) - cycle): C - 118 arrows (quivered)
Aim: an entropy weaver (almost dead, catching its breath)
You shoot an arrow! The arrow hits the entropy weaver!
The entropy weaver is almost dead!
The entropy weaver hits you!!!
* * * don't die * * *
* * * don't die * * *
The entropy weaver hits you!
* * * don't die * * *
* * * don't die * * *
You feel sick! The entropy weaver hits you!!!
* * * don't die * * *
The entropy weaver hits you!
* * * don't die * * *
* * * don't die * * *
rip

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 22:19

advil wrote:there's no way that a strong player with krishna, an elec double sword, nets, blink, full oka piety, and a wand of hasting (looks like he was hasted) is going to accidentally die in that situation

A strong player, yes. But I didn't intend to die in that situation. I just went upstairs without much thinking and got fucked in the process because I'm not used to entropy weavers doing any damage in melee.

But mostly this thread is just me whining about having a really long lose streak with one of the top 3 races, yeah.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 19th November 2015, 00:58

Sar wrote:
advil wrote:there's no way that a strong player with krishna, an elec double sword, nets, blink, full oka piety, and a wand of hasting (looks like he was hasted) is going to accidentally die in that situation

A strong player, yes. But I didn't intend to die in that situation. I just went upstairs without much thinking and got fucked in the process because I'm not used to entropy weavers doing any damage in melee.

But mostly this thread is just me whining about having a really long lose streak with one of the top 3 races, yeah.

Ohh stairs, sorry, I misread the log. As it happens I did the exact same thing with a very ugly thing the other day (maybe even dumber of a thing to die to, an entropy weaver is at least novel):

Code:
You fly downwards.
Level annotation: Sojobo
The white very ugly thing headbutts you!
The white very ugly thing freezes you!!!
The white very ugly thing headbutts you.
The white very ugly thing freezes you!!!
You die...

It took me a few days to get over that one.

For this message the author advil has received thanks:
Sar

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 19th November 2015, 01:39

Protip for tabbing+kiting with a centaur: put one finger on tab and one finger on the direction in which you want to kite and mash both, pressing the movement key slightly more often.

My strat for Ce is to wear heavy armor and train heavy armor and forget about dodging and spells. Bows are more annoying to use than kiting with melee. Polearms are the best weapon type.

For this message the author Wahaha has received thanks: 2
Rast, Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 19th November 2015, 04:58

Wahaha wrote:Protip for tabbing+kiting with a centaur: put one finger on tab and one finger on the direction in which you want to kite and mash both, pressing the movement key slightly more often.

My strat for Ce is to wear heavy armor and train heavy armor and forget about dodging and spells. Bows are more annoying to use than kiting with melee. Polearms are the best weapon type.

If bows are annoying to use, then you're doing it wrong.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice