fix melee advanced game

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 9th November 2015, 22:35

fix melee advanced game

i dont want to play caster for the advanced 15 rune game

flayers, hellfire, torment, (even corrosion can get overwhelming in a late zigg) i cant take them down fast enough as melee/archery

maybe armor should have a mitigating effect

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 9th November 2015, 22:57

Re: fix melee advanced game

Here are ways to handle flayers, hellfirers, and tormentors as melee dudes:

Fog/Move out of LOS.
Portal Projectile.
Needles of confusion or paralysis.
Javelins of penetration.
Crossbow with bolts of penetration.
Launchers with penetration brand.
Most god abilities (e.g. Zin's Imprison.)

For hellfirers, they won't attack you with hellfire if there is a sufficiently tough monster next to you without hellfire resistance (which is most monsters.)

For tormentors, you can worship Kiku for the torment resistance, Makhleb for the healing on kills, or TSO for the healing on kills and rN+++.

For flayed ghosts, by the time you're in extended most flayed ghosts come from Summon Undead so you can learn Abjuration. You can also learn Control Undead/Dispel Undead.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th November 2015, 00:11

Imho you asked about two seperate things:

15 rune game
late zigg.

Melee can handle 15 rune game easily and doesn't need to be buffed for that; melee is generally a bad idea for late zigg, although it has been pulled off a handful of times. For 15 rune games I personally like statue form and chei, but I'm also likely crazy. The standard build is to use TSO for the healing + angels + rN+++. But to give one final plug for statue form, here's your three mentioned problems:

Flaying: You're immune to it. Can't beat that.
Hellfire: So nothing really ever stops hellfire, but at least you have +30% health. Do be careful about the slow, which can lead to you getting double hellfired more than you usually do. If you are with chei, slouch kills hellions instantly; fiends take a bit more firepower to bring down.
Torment: 50% torment resistance plus an added pip of rN+, which stacks. Most torments will do less damage than hellfire, unless you're at very high health (in which case taking 40 damage from a torment isn't really that bad, you have 250 left). While you don't want to be low on health, it generally does happen and it's funny when you're at 1/3 life and you get tormented and take 7 damage. It's largely a waste of a turn, especially on monsters like brimstone fiends which could have hellfired you instead. You'll actually thank them for tormenting you.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 10th November 2015, 00:53

Thank you sir, may I have another?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th November 2015, 06:41

Well, I already find that melee characters have much easier time in 15 rune runs, but maybe I his suck at casters.

Spellcasters will always have an advantage in Zigs though, well, as long as you don't remove strong AoE spells (Tornado) or don't add Axe of Woe in the base game.

Ranged is fine for a Zig or two. Try Throwing!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice