I wanna clear a Zig or two. How?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 7th November 2015, 21:57

I wanna clear a Zig or two. How?

Tried with a pretty cool char, but blew it when I didn't put my rCorr on.

Tornado and Shatter help. What else?
Spellcasting penalties, Armour skill, and strength
15 runes: 2x HuSk, Op(Mo,Tm,Wn,Fi,Wr,EE,AM,Wz,Ne), VSTm, DsTm, Dg(Sk,Tm), MuGl, GhMo, Fe(En,EE,Ar,Wn,IE)
3 runes: FoFi, OgSk, KoHu, SpCj, 2x DgGl, MiBe, Fe(Fi,Tm,Mo,Su)

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 7th November 2015, 22:01

Re: I wanna clear a Zig or two. How?

I can hear you nerds thinking: this way, or the other way. Fucking nerds.

Give me simple instructions, in a way of the character, and the spell list.
15 runes: 2x HuSk, Op(Mo,Tm,Wn,Fi,Wr,EE,AM,Wz,Ne), VSTm, DsTm, Dg(Sk,Tm), MuGl, GhMo, Fe(En,EE,Ar,Wn,IE)

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 7th November 2015, 22:06

Easy, next time just put your rCorr on.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 7th November 2015, 22:13

And also don't be a hater.
I love pitsprint and pitsprint culture.
dpeg wrote:The only good player is a dead player.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 7th November 2015, 22:13

partial wrote:And also don't be a hater.

Not going to happen.

For this message the author ThreeInvisibleDucks has received thanks:
partial

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 7th November 2015, 22:50

Step 1: Steal Sigmund's underpants
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Zig Profit!
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Tristian

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 7th November 2015, 22:54

0.16, Naga, Singularity, Makleb.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 01:19

Have a level 9 damage spell like shatter, tornado, fire storm, or glaciate. Also have a good axe and high axes skill. Resistances, AC, EV etc. Use Makhleb. Have controlled blink. Good luck.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 02:04

My most recent attempt was a Zigg-'Zag, namely, with Gozag. Kill things fast enough and there will be so much gold on the ground, the rest of the zigg will be stunlocked, confused about their questionable financial investments. I was unsuccessful, mainly because I was a MiBe, and statue form alone isn't quiiiiite enough to survive a busy Tomb floor reliably, and Necromut was taking forever. But also I was dumb and didn't use my recently fully recharged HW wand.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 02:07

Thanks for the tips.

So is it feasible with just Tornado and Shatter? (0.16.2) It still felt and seemed very hard, but I was with Ash, so no Mahk's HP for kills. Maybe that was the problem?

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 02:12

[mother of all drivel]
Last edited by ThreeInvisibleDucks on Sunday, 8th November 2015, 02:38, edited 1 time in total.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 02:14

TRe: I wanna clear a Zig or two. How?

[edit, bit too much drivel]
Last edited by ThreeInvisibleDucks on Sunday, 8th November 2015, 02:36, edited 1 time in total.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 02:18

[edtit, the most drivel of thema all]
Last edited by ThreeInvisibleDucks on Sunday, 8th November 2015, 02:36, edited 1 time in total.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 02:20

[deleted]
Last edited by ThreeInvisibleDucks on Sunday, 8th November 2015, 02:34, edited 1 time in total.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 02:25

[deleted, more drivel]
Last edited by ThreeInvisibleDucks on Sunday, 8th November 2015, 02:34, edited 1 time in total.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 02:28

[deleted, even more drivel]

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 02:58

To be confident about completing say 2 full Zigs, I'd want, in roughly descending priority:
    Haste, probably spell, but maybe wand with decent stack of scrolls of recharging
    Main damage: Tornado plus good melee
    Big stack of scrolls of fog
    Smite-targeted huge damage to kill scary things fast: Firestorm is ideal, but javelins of penetration or big crossbow and bolts of penetration might work
    Torment immunity through Necromutation or being undead (Ghouls rock!)
    Controlled Blink or decent stack of scrolls of blinking
    Mahkleb for HP regen, or Vehumet for MP regen and to cast Tornado and Firestorm reliably

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 03:07

edgefigaro wrote:0.16, Naga, Singularity, Makleb.

Makhleb's heal doesn't trigger from Singularity kills. And now it never will, RIP!

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 03:15

I had Tornado and Shatter. But I was down to <10 HP on many levels with Ash. So that's not just it, one preferably has something even more?

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 03:18

(And for some keen-eyed people, who were there before I deleted them, it was because I was giving people ideas, even though I wasn't planning to. No. More. Subreddits for you, sir)

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 03:46

ThreeInvisibleDucks wrote:(And for some keen-eyed people, who were there before I deleted them, it was because I was giving people ideas, even though I wasn't planning to. No. More. Subreddits for you, sir)

I got a quote from the reddit admins, my comments were not censored, per se, but I was out of line on a subreddit. So I apologize. And now nobody can see what the fuzz was about. But I'm serious.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 11:26

why the fuck are you quoting yourself man... lay off the booze. this whole thread...

For this message the author daggaz has received thanks:
ThreeInvisibleDucks

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 15:26

daggaz wrote:why the fuck are you quoting yourself man... lay off the booze. this whole thread...

I can't play this game sober, I need a few beers to get in the mood. Actually, I can't do anything sober. But I can make threads!

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 15:40

You're not drunk enough if you can reliably hit the quote, edit, submit buttons.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 15:51

Pollen_Golem wrote:You're not drunk enough if you can reliably hit the quote, edit, submit buttons.

I didn't know that was the definition of drunk enough. I thought it was writing stupid crap on an internet board and deleting them out of shame.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 18:27

- Worship Makhleb
- Be a robust race, deep dwarves work great
- Learn Tornado (kills orbs of fire reliably), Shatter (kills everything non-flying), Necromutation (torment) - those are pretty much mandatory
- Fire Storm, Glaciate, Disjunction are useful, but not necessary
- Have staff of channeling, crystal ball of energy, disc of storms, amulet of stasis, amulet of clarity, wand of hasting, javelins of piercing
- Have rElec

1) Arrived on new ziggurat floor?
2) Is it a non-holy floor?
Yes - cast Necromutation, goto 3
No - goto 4

3) Is it a pandemonium OR abyssal floor?
Yes - wear amulet of stasis
No - wear amulet of clarity
4) Low on hp?
Yes - kill something ASAP
5) Low on mp?
No - goto 4
6) 60% > MP < 30% ?
Yes - use crystal ball of energy
No - use staff of channeling
7) Eyes of draining? No mp at all?
Threatened?
Yes - use disc of storms, makhleb's greater destruction or melee
No - back up and channel
8) Silenced?
See the spectre?
Yes - throw javelins at it
No - disc of storms
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 9th November 2015, 17:28

You don't need Makhleb, you don't need haste.

Worship Vehumet, and get Firestorm or Glaciate online, and start dumping everything into Air, and get tornado online as you skill your Zig.

Ideally, you'd have Firestorm, Glaciate, and Tornado all at <8%. Get a staff of energy.

When you enter a zig, move toward the exit, and as soon as you see mobs, hit them with a firstorm, launch 2-5 of those as the mobs start making their way towards you, channelling as you go to keep your MP up. You can Glaciate if the mobs are positioned right too.

Now, eventually, mobs will get close to you despite your best efforts to ward them off with FS and Glaciate, when this happens, spin up a tornado, and keep the FS/Glaciate/Channel machine going.

Your biggest threats are going to be Mummy/Holy/Orb of fire levels.

For the Tomb themed levels, you need to be vigilant about eradicating Greater mummies/priests as they appear in your LOS. Firestorm the fuck out of your edges.
Holy levels just take a lot of mana to keep up with.. just make sure your channel and sustain.
OOF levels require RF+++ and glaciate. When you have 40 OOFS on a zig level, you know you're in for a ton of blasting, so you need your RF maxxed, and you need glaciate to deal with the orbs.

Also, when you see a ghost-moth, treat it as a d:2 orc priest. They're easy to manage if you get on top of them fast, but if you let one hang out a few turns, you're going to find yourself out of mana fast.

I did 5 zigs (same game) with this build, and ended up stupidly dieing on an OOF level becuase I only had 1-pip of rF. Don't make that mistake.
http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/moose/morgu ... 031726.txt

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 9th November 2015, 20:38

If you're doing 1 zig then makhleb isn't necessary. But whenever you get tormented, smitten, tormented & smitten at the same time you can fully heal every time you cast one of the Big Ones.
And what do you do if you get silenced? With makhleb at least you can use disc of storms without any hp loss.
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 9th November 2015, 21:01

ThreeInvisibleDucks wrote:
partial wrote:And also don't be a hater.

Not going to happen.

lmao
Last edited by partial on Tuesday, 10th November 2015, 02:35, edited 1 time in total.
I love pitsprint and pitsprint culture.
dpeg wrote:The only good player is a dead player.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th November 2015, 22:19

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16994

There's my thread where I did 4 zigs, then gave up out of not wanting to deal with finding more zigs/slogging through them. Most of the "standard" fights are pretty simple, use your level 9 spells, mak restores your hp, you bring a couple mana restoring methods in. Side note: I found having ~90 mana to be ridiculously helpful, although it's kind of hard to actually have that much mana (had 97 in one dump, ended up in a final configuration with 81 mana). Just lucky gear drops.

The more important things are dealing with when your standard methods are disabled, which tends to mean disc of storms, which is quite effective with 20+ evo and works when silenced. Penetration javelins for spectres you can see, etc. Honestly I think you could do just about any floor with disc of storms alone, although it'd be slower and less safe than level 9 spells when you have the mana for them.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 11th November 2015, 11:39

I'm just playing just about my first deep dwarf and it seems these dudes cannot die. I thought they'd be a challenge species due to no regen, but with only a +2 broad axe of flaming, it seems I can't to lose a hit point. I'm with Makhleb of course.

I didn't build this char as a Zig buster though, he has lousy Int (10). A DD would seem ideal with the correct attributes, meaning high Int, but how to get there? What would be the perfect DD start, and how should I build it, in case I wanted to tackle some Zigs?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 11th November 2015, 18:17

ThreeInvisibleDucks wrote:I'm just playing just about my first deep dwarf and it seems these dudes cannot die. I thought they'd be a challenge species due to no regen, but with only a +2 broad axe of flaming, it seems I can't to lose a hit point. I'm with Makhleb of course.

I didn't build this char as a Zig buster though, he has lousy Int (10). A DD would seem ideal with the correct attributes, meaning high Int, but how to get there? What would be the perfect DD start, and how should I build it, in case I wanted to tackle some Zigs?

DDNe was my answer: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17451&p=239627&sid=65cc0a29799e2bb483ae60a9feb15070#p239627

I chose Ne for Vampiric Draining prior to getting Makhleb up and Int for big spells late. (I think Str to wear PDA was my biggest stat issue in the end.).

I think any of the spellcasting or hybrid backgrounds would work in the end.

I did feel like Necromutation for torment immunity was an absolute must for post-end game to avoid losing huge chunks of HP on a DD.

For this message the author Airwolf has received thanks:
ThreeInvisibleDucks

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice