Guardian serpents

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 4th November 2015, 20:52

Guardian serpents

As far as I know they can blink nagas (greater/warrior) around you immediately as you enter their LOS, and the nagas can start constricting you right away, before you can do anything.

Of course there are characters that can simply kill all the nagas by pressing tab, but apart from these what are you doing when this happens? Blink? Fear? I have no other idea.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 4th November 2015, 21:16

Re: Guardian serpents

Fear is cancelled if the serpent blink circle the enemies around you again, which i consider a bug.
Blink can get you nowhere if the serpent repeats its action.
Tele is the best option if you cant kill them.
But the best way to deal with serpents is to not be on open areas.
You shall never see my color again.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 4th November 2015, 22:08

The best thing, of course, is to keep the serpent out of LOS with good positioning and preemptive retreats. Next best is to start killing the serpent the moment it's in LOS, preferably while also damaging/killing any foo it might surround you with. Before or after you're surrounded, you can use: penetrating bolt spells/wands, smite-targeted spells, area-of-effect spells, god abilities, polearms, ranged, consumables, elemental evokers...and probably a few other things.

But in practice, if I can't tab through whatever's surrounding me, I most often ?Blink to a spot out of the serpent's LOS, where I can run away or lead enemies to a nice killhole-type spot where its LOS will stay blocked. Or if I can tank long enough to kill one enemy and open up an escape route that blocks LOS, I'll focus on that. Or I ?Tele and reset the fight entirely.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 5th November 2015, 00:33

I don't think that the serpent can blink nagas that aren't in your los next to you, so the best way to deal with them is to not be in los of the serpent and nagas at the same time.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 5th November 2015, 00:38

I'm pretty sure it can!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 5th November 2015, 02:25

It definitely can. Making noise in corridors is by far the best way to clear snake.

For this message the author daggaz has received thanks:
partial

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice