exercise: think of all possible uses of magic mapping

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 2nd November 2015, 21:51

exercise: think of all possible uses of magic mapping

Pollen_Golem wrote: read it when you're on a level with a timed portal, and on the bottom of rune branches.

That and occasionally when shafted or teleporting on a largely unexplored level for any of a number of reasons. But
n1000 wrote:no idea why you think those are the best places to use mmap

While the user was certainly trolling at this point, it might be interesting to consider other obscure situations where you would rather mmap than anything else. Ideas?

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 2nd November 2015, 22:12

Re: exercise: think of all possible uses of magic mapping

Usually by the time I get to Zot, I have a few left over. I just use them to map all of Zot. Makes it easier to just dive straight to Zot:5 and grab the orb, no need to wander around and fight random enemies looking for the downstairs. Otherwise, yea I pretty much just use them to find portals or mapping the branch-end vaults.
Last edited by Laraso on Monday, 2nd November 2015, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 2nd November 2015, 22:16

Sometimes the hell downstairs can be hard to find. But yeah, I use it mostly for branch ends and portals.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 2nd November 2015, 22:24

I'll use them on levels with hidden areas (like that one 3 tile room that keeps appearing in Depths with staves and clubs in it or the hidden god altar room in Dungeon) if I have spares.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 2nd November 2015, 22:25

CanOfWorms wrote:I'll use them on levels with hidden areas (like that one 3 tile room that keeps appearing in Depths with staves and clubs in it or the hidden god altar room in Dungeon) if I have spares.

How do you know that they're there?

Barkeep

Post Monday, 2nd November 2015, 22:39

First off,

Pollen_Golem wrote:While the user was certainly trolling at this point

I don't think n1000 was trolling at all.

That said, I'm not really sure that there are any surprising answers to be found here; as you say, the vast majority of mmap uses will be on relatively obvious floors. I think the interesting question isn't, "What uses are possible?" but, "What uses are desirable given a limited number of mmap scrolls?"

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks:
dynast

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 2nd November 2015, 22:41

I used to use all of mine for branch ends with runes. Nowadays, I pretty much only use them for portals if there are two portals on a level or if I'm following Chei (this may not be optimal, but portals are fun). I use them mostly (in order of priority) for Hell levels 1-6, not-special Pan levels, and Zot 1-4 (especially if I'm not doing extended).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd November 2015, 22:42

Laraso wrote:Usually by the time I get to Zot, I have a few left over. I just use them to map all of Zot.

Heh, I do that too. And then I clear Zot:1-4 anyway. I just want to know where the stairs are, and there's nothing else to map anyway.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 2nd November 2015, 22:44

archaeo wrote:"What uses are desirable given a limited number of mmap scrolls?"

Well, yeah, that is implicit in the question, since if mmap was unlimited you would use it on every floor.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 2nd November 2015, 22:50

ydeve wrote:
CanOfWorms wrote:I'll use them on levels with hidden areas (like that one 3 tile room that keeps appearing in Depths with staves and clubs in it or the hidden god altar room in Dungeon) if I have spares.

How do you know that they're there?

Stair counting for those. Sometimes I just make a guess based on the minimap and there might not be a secret room!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 3rd November 2015, 02:39

think of all possible uses of curing
You shall never see my color again.

For this message the author dynast has received thanks:
Pollen_Golem

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 7th November 2015, 09:25

Elf 3 and Zot 5 are probably obvious choices
When I have excess MM scrolls I will tend to map the last level of Swamp, Spider, etc
MM scrolls are also great in the various Hells and Pan.

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 7th November 2015, 18:06

Earth elementalist; no teleport or blinking left; need to find a good wall to use passwall on.

[quote=CanOfWorms]I'll use them on levels with hidden areas (like that one 3 tile room that keeps appearing in Depths with staves and clubs in it or the hidden god altar room in Dungeon) if I have spares.[/quote] I found that vault in spider on accident by casting shatter. It had the hat of the alchemist and the shillelagh for me though. [If you are wonder how I had shatter in spider; Vehumet + Formacid +3! Earth].
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks:
Pollen_Golem

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 7th November 2015, 23:46

Maybe if you !tele into a potentially bad situation with nearby tough melee monsters and it's not clear which way you should run so you don't get trapped in a dead end, or you haven't found the other upstairs yet?

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 03:36

If I teleport into a group of tough melee dudes, I typically teleport again, not run away into unexplored territory and run into more scary things.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 08:19

Maybe it's your last teleport and your only remaining consumables are scrolls of magic mapping...

It's an edge case, roll with it :p

For this message the author The Ferret has received thanks:
Pollen_Golem

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 10:39

Read-IDing looking for remove curse before you have not found enough scrolls to guess the biggest piles are likely ID and remove Curse.
You picked up and wore-ID'd amulet, and two rings that happened to be: Inaccuracy, Slaying -5, and Evasion -6.
Spoiler: show
You subsequently read in order: your only blinking, magic mapping, teleport, enchant weapon, enchant armour, holy word, torment (you teleport onto a shaft and fall three levels, you land on a shaft and fall two levels). You have no more scrolls left. At least you found Lair!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 11:16

bcadren wrote:Earth elementalist; no teleport or blinking left; need to find a good wall to use passwall on.

[quote=CanOfWorms]I'll use them on levels with hidden areas (like that one 3 tile room that keeps appearing in Depths with staves and clubs in it or the hidden god altar room in Dungeon) if I have spares.
I found that vault in spider on accident by casting shatter. It had the hat of the alchemist and the shillelagh for me though. [If you are wonder how I had shatter in spider; Vehumet + Formacid +3! Earth].[/quote]

...or you could just make sure to take all the stairs once, even tho its super tedious.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 9th November 2015, 19:33

When I've finished a level, I just take the nearest stairs down, then as I explore the new level and find an unused upstairs, I quickly pop up and back down. So I end up using every stairway, but it's not tedious at all.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 9th November 2015, 21:28

BugHunter wrote:When I've finished a level, I just take the nearest stairs down, then as I explore the new level and find an unused upstairs, I quickly pop up and back down. So I end up using every stairway, but it's not tedious at all.

It is tedious.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 10th November 2015, 02:04

Eh, it's also something I try to remember to do, and I don't find it incredibly tedious. I just inevitably forget to continue doing it around d:10.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 10th November 2015, 08:31

The fact that you have a reason to do it (linking stairs for autotravel, checking for "hidden" areas), but eventually can't be bothered because it is a bunch of extra steps that aren't actually all that fun compared to actual game you are playing, is exactly what makes it tedious. Maybe you don't assign it quite the same subjective level of tedium as say, doing your income taxes, but then again, income taxes are not imbedded in Crawl.

New God: Eyearress, God of Nitpicking, Resource Management, and Spreadsheets.

Appreciates: Making the absolutely most optimal move in any situation. Always going up every stair case, especially escape hatches don't forget about the escape hatches they are doors, too. Doing your income taxes instead of playing Crawl.
Dislikes: Games, Alcohol, Sex of any type other than in the missionary position for the sole purpose of procreation.

For this message the author daggaz has received thanks:
The Ferret

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 11th November 2015, 19:17

It would be nice if seeing both ends of a staircase linked them in the map.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice