How do you read the "Relative Cost" of skills?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 26th October 2015, 04:54

How do you read the "Relative Cost" of skills?

So I recently discovered that pressing ! on the skills screen shows the "relative cost" of skills. It makes absolutely zero sense.

My 7.9 Armour (+1 apt) has a cost of 6.7
My 13.3 Invocations (+1 apt) has a cost of 16.0

They are both the same aptitude, so why does one have a "lower" cost, while the other one is "higher"?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 26th October 2015, 05:00

Re: How do you read the "Relative Cost" of skills?

I believe that that is the cost to raise the skill one level. Because your invocations skill is higher, it takes more exp to raise one level.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 26th October 2015, 05:32

Yes that's what I thought too, but then why is the "cost" of my armour skill lower than the actual level it's at, while the invocations skill's "cost" is higher than its actual level? Logic would state that since they both have the same aptitude, they would both follow the same rules. That explanation would make sense maybe if armour said it had a cost of 9.2 or something, so it would match the invocations, but it doesn't.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 26th October 2015, 05:40

Every single one of the relative costs is relative to raising a 0 aptitude skill from 0-1 from what I recall.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 26th October 2015, 05:45

Laraso wrote:Yes that's what I thought too, but then why is the "cost" of my armour skill lower than the actual level it's at, while the invocations skill's "cost" is higher than its actual level?

.. What?

Costs are normalized, that's why it's called relative cost. The norm being
raising a 0 aptitude skill from 0-1

Being higher or lower than the level of the skill is of no significance.

Cost in unnormalized, unscaled apt 0 skill points:

0->1 = 50
7->8 = 400
13->14 = 950

Skill points required to raise a 0 apt skill from level 0 to 1, for your character currently ~= 59.7.

6.7 * 59.7 = 400
16.0 * 59.7 = 955 skill points

Seems close enough to correct to me.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 26th October 2015, 16:04

Laraso wrote:Yes that's what I thought too, but then why is the "cost" of my armour skill lower than the actual level it's at, while the invocations skill's "cost" is higher than its actual level? Logic would state that since they both have the same aptitude, they would both follow the same rules. That explanation would make sense maybe if armour said it had a cost of 9.2 or something, so it would match the invocations, but it doesn't.

Because skill costs don't increase linearly per level. They are following the same rules. If both your Armour and Invocations were at the same level, you'd see the skill cost to the next level would be the same. But skill costs increase dramatically as the level increases, and as you've seen, going from 13->14 skill is about 2.5 times more expensive than from 8->9 skill.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice