DCSS Spell Lab

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 6th June 2011, 19:20

DCSS Spell Lab

So after the rousing success of the Weapon Lab, I began putting together a Spell Lab to get some similarly useful information for casters. I just finished the first (simple) implementation, which just calculates spell success rates based on int and skills. I've found it useful to get *real* spell success rates as a percentage instead of just a short description. I haven't yet added the effects of armour and shields or various enhancer effects, though those are planned. Also planned are spell power calculations.

It's currently available on google docs: https://spreadsheets1.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=tFyCrh9-muLmkSZY6u1Sjmw

You'll have to make a copy (File --> Make a copy) of my version to try out your own character's build.

Incidentally, while building and testing the spreadsheet, I found an interesting bug in the spell power calculations that unduly penalizes three-school spells. (https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=4107) This bug is reproduced in the spreadsheet for the moment, though hopefully it will get fixed in trunk soon.

For this message the author Caethan has received thanks: 26
asdu, danr, dolphin, Galefury, galehar, Grimm, njvack, pratamawirya, Stormfox, XuaXua and 16 more users

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 6th June 2011, 20:47

Re: DCSS Spell Lab

Cool. Could you also add spell hunger? It's a more simple calculation than success and power, but would be helpful to have in there.

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks:
Ezekiel

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 6th June 2011, 20:51

Great work, thanks a lot!
I've fixed the bug you reported, thanks for that too. You did a very good job with the spreadsheet, it looks like most of it can be reused for other purposes. You've put a lot of data which seems to be irrelevant for calculating spell success (races, slots, piety). Any reason you did that? Also, max piety rank ranges from 161 to 200, not 200 to 400.
I'm curious, how did you fill the random table? I guess you wrote a program to crush the numbers (I don't think there's another way to do it). Can you upload the source?
Let me also give you the same advice I gave to Danr. Use named ranges. It's very simple, and it makes writing formulas and maintaining spreadsheets much easier.
Thanks again!
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 6th June 2011, 23:05

galehar wrote:Great work, thanks a lot!
I've fixed the bug you reported, thanks for that too. You did a very good job with the spreadsheet, it looks like most of it can be reused for other purposes. You've put a lot of data which seems to be irrelevant for calculating spell success (races, slots, piety). Any reason you did that? Also, max piety rank ranges from 161 to 200, not 200 to 400.
I'm curious, how did you fill the random table? I guess you wrote a program to crush the numbers (I don't think there's another way to do it). Can you upload the source?
Let me also give you the same advice I gave to Danr. Use named ranges. It's very simple, and it makes writing formulas and maintaining spreadsheets much easier.
Thanks again!

The extra data is planned to be used when I add some more calculations: racial armour, armour and shield penalties, and Vehumet support.

The random table was just built with a simple python script: it's available at http://pastebin.com/ay3eyXhe.

Thanks for the advice!

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 6th June 2011, 23:11

Thanks, that looks like it could save me a few headaches :P
However, is it possible to save it and use it offline? Unlike Danr's spreadsheet, when I try to edit this offline (with Open Office), values don't get updated and the drop-down menus don't work (I don't know the first thing about spreadsheets :oops:).

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2011, 01:12

I haven't tried it with Open Office or Excel yet; I'll see if I can make it so the downloadable version works properly tomorrow.

Also, spell hunger and spell power calculations have been added. Still to come: armour and shield penalties, enhancer effects (= of ice/fire, ] of the archmagi, staves, etc.), and Vehumet support.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2011, 01:35

Awesome. Armor penalties will be very useful.

Don't forget wizardry. Probably easiest to just make checkboxes for staff, ring, and other ring. Having to manually enter wizardry level would be pretty annoying. I can never remember what gives how much.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2011, 03:16

Galefury wrote:Awesome. Armor penalties will be very useful.

Don't forget wizardry. Probably easiest to just make checkboxes for staff, ring, and other ring. Having to manually enter wizardry level would be pretty annoying. I can never remember what gives how much.

Armour and shield penalties are now included in spell success rates.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2011, 04:31

And it now supports enhancer staves/rings and wizardry effects. Let me know if I forgot any equipment that could have an effect.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2011, 09:07

I think you have equipment covered. Some forms also have an effect by the way. Blade Hands lowers spell success, and Necromutation grants a double necromancy enhancer. Also being a mummy grants you necro enhancers at certain levels (or maybe just one, I'm not sure). There may be some I'm missing.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2011, 11:10

List of enhancers:
  • Necromancy: staff of death: +1; mummy XL >= 13: +1; XL >= 26: +2; Lich form: +1.
  • Fire: staff of fire: +1; ring of fire: +1; ring of flames: +1; in a rain cloud: -1
  • Ice: staff of cold: +1; ring of ice: +1
  • Earth, Air, Conjuration, Enchantment, Summoning: staff of school: +1
  • Poison: staff of poison +1; staff of Olgreb: +2
  • All schools: Lantern of shadows: -2; Archmagi: +1

For elemental schools, enhancers also work as negative enhancers for the opposite school. Standing in the rain works as an ice enhancer! It probably shouldn't...
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2011, 12:11

OK, all of the enhancers/effects that have been mentioned should be available now. I also went through and did damage dice calculations and average damage calculations for most damaging spells.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2011, 12:34

Wow, this is getting more and more awesome. You're missing Tornado damage by the way.

Is it possible to also make this work for trunk? No more triple school bug there. Also Berserker Rage is gone and Tornado was nerfed.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2011, 14:36

Galefury wrote:Wow, this is getting more and more awesome. You're missing Tornado damage by the way.

Is it possible to also make this work for trunk? No more triple school bug there. Also Berserker Rage is gone and Tornado was nerfed.

Tornado damage is... nontrivial to calculate. Along with Orb of Destruction, Ball Lightning, Chain Lightning, and Static Discharge, I'm trying to figure out the best way to present their damage, since they're all so highly dependent on other variables.

It could probably be adjusted to work with trunk. Is there a changelog somewhere that I could look at to see any relative changes I would need to incorporate?

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2011, 15:36

So far there just is the commit log, which is not really suited to finding changes to spells. I think the changes I listed are the only ones so far, but I may very well have missed something. Maybe galehar or another dev knows better. The effects of spellcasting skill might change at some point, which would be pretty big, but so far they have not.

For IOOD I would just list the full damage (possibly mentioning lowered damage at short range in a note). For lightning spells I would list single zap damage and maybe add a note that multiple hits are possible (or very likely for some of them). Tornado lasts for 6 standard turns. Average damage is always the same, but how many dice rolls are done depends on how many actions you take in that time. Also AC applies to it twice (over the total duration, not per turn). I would only list average damage for Tornado, either per standard turn or total, with a note which one is listed. Also having a note for storm spells that mentions the damaging clouds they leave might be nice.

Edit: I just remembered that the irresistibility of the storms, bolt of maga and throw icicle was recently nerfed. So far this stuff isn't mentioned on your sheet anyway, so this doesn't really matter I guess.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2011, 15:45

Galefury wrote:So far there just is the commit log, which is not really suited to finding changes to spells. I think the changes I listed are the only ones so far, but I may very well have missed something. Maybe galehar or another dev knows better. The effects of spellcasting skill might change at some point, which would be pretty big, but so far they have not.

For IOOD I would just list the full damage (possibly mentioning lowered damage at short range in a note). For lightning spells I would list single zap damage and maybe add a note that multiple hits are possible (or very likely for some of them). Tornado lasts for 6 standard turns. Average damage is always the same, but how many dice rolls are done depends on how many actions you take in that time. Also AC applies to it twice (over the total duration, not per turn). I would only list average damage for Tornado, either per standard turn or total, with a note which one is listed. Also having a note for storm spells that mentions the damaging clouds they leave might be nice.

Edit: I just remembered that the irresistibility of the storms, bolt of maga and throw icicle was recently nerfed. So far this stuff isn't mentioned on your sheet anyway, so this doesn't really matter I guess.

From memory, I don't think you've forgotten anything. Tornado's duration can vary a bit with power. With high skills and a staff of air, I think 7 turns should be possible.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 10th June 2011, 12:30

Can a mod sticky this before it gets too lost?
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 10th June 2011, 12:47

dolphin wrote:Can a mod sticky this before it gets too lost?

Good idea. Done.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th June 2011, 14:31

Seeing as how discussion of this and the Weapon Lab really only relate to use of, or glitches or updates or revisions, I'm of the opinion that there should be a forum for Crawl Utilities and both labs should be moved there as well as anything else that might crop up in said fashion.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 10th June 2011, 14:58

XuaXua wrote:Seeing as how discussion of this and the Weapon Lab really only relate to use of, or glitches or updates or revisions, I'm of the opinion that there should be a forum for Crawl Utilities and both labs should be moved there as well as anything else that might crop up in said fashion.

A forum with 2 threads? I don't think so. On the other hand, they would fit better in the contribution section than the general advice forum.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 10th June 2011, 15:08

People looking for something like this wouldn't look anywhere in the back room, but here in the advice section. So I don't think they would fit in the contributions section. If these get moved they should be added to useful links or a new "list of cool tools" thread.

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 10th June 2011, 22:57

An updated version is now available, which incorporates damage reduction from monster AC and resistances for most spells. I'm still working on a couple of them, hopefully they'll all be done by the end of the weekend.

Roy

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 11th January 2013, 04:53

Is this spreadsheet still accurate for 0.11? If not, do you know what is wrong?

Edit: Well, for one, it doesn't accept fractional numbers...

I'd like to update it, but I'm not really sure of all the places that it's wrong.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 21st January 2013, 01:07

It hasn't been updated in quite some time. I'd be happy to pass ownership to you if you'd like to take over. I haven't played much DCSS for a while, so I'm not sure what kind of changes have been made.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 1st February 2014, 01:03

Perhaps this should be un-stickied until it's updated? I clicked on it hoping I could use but I'm not sure that .08 spell failure bears all that much resemblance to trunk.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 1st February 2014, 02:50

Good idea. Anyone willing to take this over? If I hear nothing in a few days, I'll unsticky it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 1st February 2014, 03:04

I've got my own DCSS spreadsheets that I haven't updated since .12 otherwise I'd probably be up for it :)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 1st February 2014, 20:00

Give me a couple weeks to finish a major work project and I'll see what I can do about updating this for 0.13 and 0.14.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 01:48

This thread has been unstickied.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice