Are stashes in Lair really safe?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 28th May 2011, 12:43

Are stashes in Lair really safe?

It's normally said that the Lair is a safe place for a stash because neither humanoid monsters who might pick up your items, nor jellies who might eat them will appear there.

However, this does not seem to be true; in my current game I have come across centaurs and humanoid uniques on various levels of the Lair - and in another post someone has recently posted a game with a room full of jellies.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 28th May 2011, 12:52

Re: Are stashes in Lair really safe?

I've had single orcs and band of orcs in the Lair, while clearing it. I've never seen any respawns of humanoid monsters, however.

This leads me to believe that once you've cleared a level, the respawns will only be animals.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 28th May 2011, 13:07

Various Lair vaults contain humanoids and jellies, yes, and monsters from the Dungeon monster list can spawn from the Lair:1 upstairs, and uniques can show up in a bunch of places.

The stuff that respawns over time anywhere else in the Lair will always just be animals that can't damage your stashes, though, which is why people call it a safe place to stash.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 28th May 2011, 13:14

Humanoid uniques are common in the Lair, to be safe you should only make your stash after clearing a level.
Centaurs can only be found in some altar vaults (certainly Fehdas', not sure about other gods) afaik.
Monsters from the dungeon may occasionally enter the Lair via the stairs, to be completely safe make you stash in Lair:2.
Slime rooms like the one that was posted about recently aren't exactly common, though jellies of various kinds are usually found around the Slime Pits entrance, but that's on Lair:6-8. Never seen any jelly spawn normally in the lair. Again, only make a stash atfer you know exactly what's on the level

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 28th May 2011, 15:26

Has anyone ever actually had their stash get mashed? That is, non Jivya Jelleroo worshipers?

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 28th May 2011, 16:07

Yes, early in the current tournament i made the mistake to forget the "never make a stash on Lair:1, make it in Lair:2".

Result, at some point i went back to my stash to get some objects to prepare for a branch and i found 4 jelly that had spawned on Lair:1 while i was away.

And obviously a then completely empty stash.

For this message the author Robsoie has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 28th May 2011, 17:07

>Result, at some point i went back to my stash to get some objects to prepare for a branch and i found 4 jelly that had spawned on Lair:1 while i was away.

scary, i have my stash on lair:1 ><

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 28th May 2011, 21:31

I've seen Jelly rooms on Lair:2, so I ALWAYS make sure to clean it out.

Also Hive:2 is safe, but I guess Hive is going away so whatever.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 29th May 2011, 01:13

Lair:1 is safe enough for me. As soon as the LOS around the stairs is cleared, I usually establish a stash.

The only time I've had stashes threatened is in Hell. Yes, nothing is supposed to spawn in the vestibule, but if you keep hanging about, things will come up the stairs. Well, rather, out of the gates of hell. Kind of annoying when you're standing away from your stash, trying to go through a pile of new Nemelex gifted decks, and then you see a pack of yaktaurs heading towards your nice pile of randarts. :p

The only time I've worried about a stash is when I move all my sweet loot up to D1 in anticipation of the orb run. It would be real annoying if you had to chase down some goblin who made off with one of my +7 swords of awesomeness while running from the other nonsense.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 29th May 2011, 02:53

mageykun wrote: It would be real annoying if you had to chase down some goblin who made off with one of my +7 swords of awesomeness while running from the other nonsense.

I chase down a goblin who has one of your swords? That, sir, is crazy talk. :D

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks: 3
pratamawirya, slowcar, Stormfox

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 6th June 2011, 08:34

Grimm wrote:
mageykun wrote: It would be real annoying if you had to chase down some goblin who made off with one of my +7 swords of awesomeness while running from the other nonsense.

I chase down a goblin who has one of your swords? That, sir, is crazy talk. :D

Obviously you would want it for yourself.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 6th June 2011, 09:16

mageykun wrote:Lair:1 is safe enough for me. As soon as the LOS around the stairs is cleared, I usually establish a stash.

That's been my experience as well. I usually clear Lair 1 then make my stash and evaluate options. I've gotten to the point where I'm picky enough with what I pick up don't bother with more than 1 mid game stash with even a low Str caster. I usually don't stash in the Temple, and will only stash in the Hive if I have a very deep Hive with a very shallow Lair. Having something loot your Lair:1 stash after you've cleared Lair:1 almost requires special effort...

Late game the Vestibule of Hell is a good stash point if you need one near Zot or near other (post) endgame content.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 6th June 2011, 14:19

I have been noticing (Trunk) more and more humanoid uniques in the Lair at various levels.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 6th June 2011, 16:36

XuaXua wrote:I have been noticing (Trunk) more and more humanoid uniques in the Lair at various levels.

It's all in your head, I think. Humanoid uniques have always been there, and personally I don't seem to find more of them than I used to. In fact it's been quite a while since I had the obligatory "Rupert on Lair:5" splat.
In any case, humanoid uniques are not a threat to your stash if you first clear the level and only then drop your junk on the floor (as you should).

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice