I need advice to learn from my Mistakes

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 10th October 2015, 16:47

I need advice to learn from my Mistakes

Hello fellow crawlers,

Im fairly new to DCSS and I were trying DrTm,DEQj,GrGl and DE-Elementalists too but my first decent run were with a http://textuploader.com/aw76a DDFi but i wanted to now what i could do better so pls give me some advice.
Pls dont flame me for my bad English im not a native speaker
ty TheAraber

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 10th October 2015, 17:02

Re: I need advice to learn from my Mistakes

Noticed you died in slime pits. Don't go in there yet! That's an endgame (or sometimes 3rd rune) branch.
Comborobin Admin

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 10th October 2015, 17:09

Unless you're determined to learn the game yourself, the wiki is a good resource. The 'walkthrough' page of the wiki should give you a general idea of how to proceed. You will see, for example, that the slime pits is an extremely dangerous branch, which you really should not have entered with that DDFi.

Anyway, any given character has 2 main goals: have tools to reliably and quickly kill all enemy types, and be ready and able to make a quick escape if you are in trouble. You should keep keep your skills in 'manual' mode, and develop these tools ASAP. When you die, typically you were either not being cautious enough (i.e. fleeing a dangerous situation before it becomes an emergency), or exploring an area you just weren't ready for.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 10th October 2015, 17:59

I'm sorry I don't have the time right now to write some general advices or regarding the char you posted. There are some decent posts scattered around the forum with general advice, you should search them, or I hope someone else is going to link them or give some general advice.
But I'm answering only to advice you to stay the heck away from the walk trough and character guides of the wiki if you want actually to learn something and improve , at best they're filled with highly opinabile suggestions, usually they're just full of crap.

You could also play online, depending on the server and the hour it's easy to find some decent/good player who will advice or even watch your game
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 11th October 2015, 19:10

I was about to say the general walkthrough and character builds sections aren't too bad, and then I reread them.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 12th October 2015, 21:54

As others have said, Slime is a dangerous place at the point when you first approach it. The game gets more non-linear the further you go and it's easy to end up in the wrong place. Most people will clear Lair when they first reach it, followed by clearing Orcish Mines, and after that the next targets rely mainly on if you are suited to each area, and if not, come back later or not at all (since you only need 3 of ~5 accessible runes for a 3-rune game).

The other thing I'll point out is that you had a pip of cold vulnerability (an effect of your Ring of Fire), which means you take double damage from cold sources. Slime pits especially has those nasty ice slimes, and that's what I expected to be your killer instead of the corrosive slime, but perhaps one still contributed. The outcome from being vulnerable to fire or cold is that you often end up dying out of nowhere with little time to react. Fire resistance is important, but not when it brings your cold resistance below zero, UNLESS you are in a fire themed area and can expect to be fighting fire based damage almost exclusively (always a chance that a unique monster shows up, but that's OK because you can always swap jewelry quickly if you're paying attention). I don't believe there is anything which deals fire damage in Slime pits.

While you'll want a general set of resistances for the Dungeon, more specialized areas will have more specialized requirements for safe passage. That's why the items you find will dictate your path to victory. Off the top of my head, here's what I'd recommend:

Dungeon: one pip of most resistances if possible and as you get further down, in order of importance, rPois, rF, rC, rElec
Lair: rPois is nice, but not mandatory
Orc: MR, rF, rPois for casters with Paralyze and Erolcha (who may try and banish you), general fire spells, and orcs with a high change to have poison branded weapons
Shoals: MR, deflect missiles or shield, flight is nice for navigating water
Spider: rPois and Clarity is nice
Snake: rPois, rF, MR
Swamp: rPois, flight
Elf: MR++ (or you'll get banished in Elf:3), rF, rC
Vault: also general resistances
Crypt: rN, holy weapons are nice
Tomb: Lichform, Statue Form or rN+++
Slime: rCorr, rC++, rMut if you can have it while still having rCorr
Abyss: anything that allows you to rest less and travel faster, Regen is nice, Haste is nice
Depths: little bit of everything
Zot: everything but with time to swap - rF++(+) and rMut for Orbs of Fire, rElec for Electric Golems, rF, rC, rPois, rCorr for Draconians, and rN++ or caution around Curse Toes (you'll want to read up on Torment effects). Also, scrolls of Silence are super great for Ancient Liches.
Hell: rF+++, rC+++, rN+++, susAb depending on the branch and ways to keep HP/MP up without resting
Pan: everything
Zigurats: even more of everything

If you're mainly interested in getting to see more of the game or win, I find Makhleb's passive healing to be especially ridiculous when paired with a Deep Dwarve, though Elyvilon's healing does go further for DD than other races. I'd even say that DD of Makhleb is easier than the Minotaur Berserker combo that everyone recommends for new players. If you're having fun with the Elyvilon playstyle though, no need to change.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 12th October 2015, 22:21

TwoLeggedMammal wrote:Elf: MR++ (or you'll get banished in Elf:3)

Most of the other resistances in your post are rather excessive, but this one isn't - you really want something like MR+++ in Elf (and generally in the endgame), preferably MR++++.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 13th October 2015, 07:43

In trunk at least, MR+++ is enough to make you immune to everything I can think of in Elf. Certainly banishment at least. MR++++ is enough to make you virtually immune to sentinel's mark in Vaults (1% chance I think?). MR++++ or more should be enough to prevent pretty much everything in a 3-5 rune game at least.

But yes, most of the resistances in the above post are quite over the top. Curiously, he didn't mention rElec for Snake, which is the only place other than Zot:5 where I would go to any particular trouble to wear it generally. Shock serpents seem like much more of a threat to me than the occasional fire attack from salamanders.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 13th October 2015, 08:03

I think low-end of MR+++ (as it's actually a 0-200 scale represented by 5 pluses) is where you can probably be banished. I know for a fact that you can get paralysed pretty easily by liches with this amount, but I guess elves have worse spellpower?

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 13th October 2015, 22:31

Sar wrote:
TwoLeggedMammal wrote:Elf: MR++ (or you'll get banished in Elf:3)

Most of the other resistances in your post are rather excessive, but this one isn't - you really want something like MR+++ in Elf (and generally in the endgame), preferably MR++++.

Oh yeah, I meant two pips of MR from equipment, on top of your natural MR, so about MR++++ overall.

And I totally forgot about the electric snakes.

I guess this isn't a minimum resistances list, as much as it is just what makes me comfortable going into a branch.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 14th October 2015, 18:14

how to crawl:

train up your killdudes until you can kill dudes
then train up your notdies until you can not die
then train up your killdudes until you can kill dudes again
then train up your notdies until you can not die again
. . .
win
I love pitsprint and pitsprint culture.
dpeg wrote:The only good player is a dead player.

For this message the author partial has received thanks:
thriftshopmusketeer

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 14th October 2015, 20:19

That's always sounded silly to me, because training killdudes means you spend less time dying to dudes and vice-versa, so they should be functionally equivalent.

Better, I think, is "improve your damage out / damage in ratio as cheaply as possible."

So you train killdudes at first because DPS provides cheaper returns at the beginning than armour or dodging. Later, that's not true, so you train armour or dodging. Then it becomes true again. The exact timing of those changes depends on what your damage out and damage reduction means are.

My big bit of advice, though, is "don't overthink skilling" -- with good tactics, people can ascend outrageously weak characters. With bad tactics, there's no combo in the game diesel enough to win.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
TwoLeggedMammal

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 15th October 2015, 03:01

yes I agree that is definitely the underlying principle
I love pitsprint and pitsprint culture.
dpeg wrote:The only good player is a dead player.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice