Struggling with inventory management

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 4th October 2015, 07:10

Struggling with inventory management

I realised yesterday that the main reason I play extremely slowly is that I obsess (way too much) about my inventory. I find it a real struggle to decide what to take and what to leave. Ever since I lost a Gh in the abyss to stat death, with a pile of RestAb in my stash I have been paranoid.

What can I do to make my life easier? How do you manage your inventory?

Which consumables are actually critical, and which aren't? Currently I view them roughly like this (ignoring special cases like Fe, Vp, etc.):

carry / leave / unsure / stash (Arguably leave / stash are the same anyway. Also some should just be used immediately.)

agility, ambrosia, beneficial mutation, berserk rage, blood, brilliance, cancellation, cure mutation, curing, degeneration, experience, flight, haste, heal wounds, invisibility, lignification, magic, might, mutation, poison, resistance, restore abilities

acquirement, amnesia, blinking, curse armour, curse jewellery, curse weapon, enchant armour, enchant weapon, fear, fog, holy word, identify, immolation, magic mapping, noise, random uselessness, recharging, remove curse, silence, summoning, teleportation, torment, brand weapon, vulnerability

What wands do you carry? Evokers? Does that change with evo skill?

For this message the author 4Hooves2Appendages has received thanks:
Pollen_Golem

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 4th October 2015, 18:43

Re: Struggling with inventory management

ambrosia/lig is usually safe to dump at XL 15 or so I'd drop it on the entrance of zot, so you've got something for orb run tormentors and in between recoveries.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 4th October 2015, 20:22

You're unsure about torment, but you leave immolation? Immolation is a great consumable to carry, and works wonders for 'surprise vaults'.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 4th October 2015, 21:55

Potions:

Heal wounds, curing, agility, might, haste, invisibility, cancellation, berserk for melee only, magic for conjurers only, brilliance for conjurers only, flight if there is no other source

Scrolls:

Teleport, remove curse, blink, identify, fog, fear, summoning, magic mapping, recharging

Wands:

Heal wounds, Haste, teleport, digging, disintegration

Evokers:

Phial, Fan, Lamp, Lantern of shadows, Sack of spiders

Rods: Clouds, Shadows with enough evo (so almost never).

Everything else I just drop or use immediately. I don't have much inventory trouble aside from being too lazy to remove the mostly-useless wands from autopickup. I usually carry a blowgun and poison needles until Spider is done and then drop them now that curare needles have had their best use (stop ironbrand convokers) removed, and try to use up bolt wands and drop them (though they do not last very long thanks to the wand charge change)
remove food

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 5th October 2015, 03:31

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:Struggling with inventory management

Welcome to crawl!

For this message the author Turukano has received thanks:
Pollen_Golem

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 5th October 2015, 08:05

Some people win the game in a couple of hours. I probably spend that much time just by staring at the inventory, wondering which item to drop...
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
4Hooves2Appendages

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice