Which weapon for extended?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 15th September 2015, 20:23

Which weapon for extended?

Ive got a +13 greatsword of pain (10 in necro atm) yeah its an unrandart
a +9 triple sword of freezing and
a +7 holy greatsword (soon to be +9)

My longblades is 22 atm but will be maxed soon enough. The unrandart is pretty much disgusting, but pain stops working soon enough, making it just a really beefed up greatsword. Im thinking the triple sword, but holy is such a great brand in extended..

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 15th September 2015, 20:26

Re: Which weapon for extended?

p. sure that triple blade of freezing is going to do more damage basically everywhere.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 15th September 2015, 20:35

Yeah I do like me a triple blade of freezing..

For that matter, what armour? Im at 51 AC 31 EV with 37 str, 7 int, 24 dex and wearing a +3 plate of {regen, +3 str, +2 int, +3 dex} which I rather like, but I've only got 1 pip each of rC and rF atm and am thinking of tossing my 15 ?armour at a gold dragon hide lying in the vaults. There isn't squat in the whole game that otherwise comes close to making me want to switch, unfortunately.

Obviously I'll get more AC out of this deal, but its not really needed and I do so love to have 30+EV on the guy, which despite having mad str for a non-chei (go mahkleb) character, is going to take a real hit fro the GDA should I switch..

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 15th September 2015, 21:29

I've just tested both weapons (+9 triple sword and +9 holy wrath great sword) on a brimstone fiend and Cerebov. 22 Fighting, 26 Long Blades, 20 in Str/Dex. Holy wrath sword does slightly more damage in both cases. Checked same with 27 Fighting, holy wins again. Then I checked 27 Fighting, same stats, against reaper (resists cold) - holy did almost a quarter more AvgEffDam! So yeah, I'd probably take the holy sword if I wanted to kill daemons and undead.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
archaeo, lifecoder

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 16th September 2015, 03:43

Holy GS is better. As long as your weapon type is not garbage that you would not ever use long-term in a regular game, a Holy weapon of that type generally is better than a non-holy weapon of a higher-damage type in the same class for extended.

So e.g. a holy greatsword is better than a triple sword of whatever that isn't holy, holy battleaxe > not-holy executioner's axe, etc.

I think this dosen't apply to ranged weapons but I never use them.
remove food

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 16th September 2015, 06:05

Thanks guys. I had the sneaking suspicion that it would be like that, what with the holy multiplier and demon/undead weakness to it. Wish you could get holy with brand weapon tho, I have like 7 scrolls for once =/

EDIT: Took the greatsword to the first part of crypts or whatever its called. Things died nice n fast. Also, I went ahead and tossed an ?EA on that gold dragon hide to test it directly, and only lost 4 EV. So now I have +rF +rC rPois and I think 13 more AC, for 4 EV and +regen, which I have the spell. I can live with that. This character is getting pretty obscene, but I am running out of treasure vaults =(

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 16th September 2015, 07:39

Sar wrote:I've just tested both weapons (+9 triple sword and +9 holy wrath great sword) on a brimstone fiend and Cerebov. 22 Fighting, 26 Long Blades, 20 in Str/Dex. Holy wrath sword does slightly more damage in both cases. Checked same with 27 Fighting, holy wins again. Then I checked 27 Fighting, same stats, against reaper (resists cold) - holy did almost a quarter more AvgEffDam! So yeah, I'd probably take the holy sword if I wanted to kill daemons and undead.

It is a triple blade of freezing, or did you just forget to type it out?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 16th September 2015, 08:02

Forgot to type out.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice