Merfolk Ice Elementalist choosing a weapon

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Tuesday, 15th September 2015, 03:46

Merfolk Ice Elementalist choosing a weapon

I would post a character dump, but for some reason I can't find it. Been a while since I've played so I'm probably just looking in the wrong place.

Anyway, am playing an IE and worshipping Fedhas. I am a mixed character. Mostly melee with spellcasting support. Bolt of Cold, Freezing Cloud, CBlink, etc. Anyway, my Polearms are about 23 since I was using a Bardiche of Venom early on, but I eventually switched to a +8 Demon Trident (Elec, Fly, rC++). This allowed me to stop training Polearms and focus more on my casting. Picked up a buckler to go with it.

Anyway, I just found a Vampiric Bardiche. I'm wondering if this is worth switching to. The only areas I have left are Elf:3, Vaults:5 and Zot. I know this question would be easier to answer with a character dump, but based on what you know, which weapon would serve me better in the remaining areas? Unfortunately, with Vampiric Brand, switching back and forth isn't an option.

EDIT: Version 15 something for what that's worth.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 15th September 2015, 03:56

Re: Merfolk Ice Elementalist choosing a weapon

Use the vamp bardiche
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks: 6
duvessa, Lasty, MainiacJoe, nago, Rast, Sar

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 15th September 2015, 03:59

Honestly I could go either way. Electricity on a demon trident actually isn't that bad. Depends on whether you can enchant that bardiche though. If you can dump a stack of enchant scrolls on it go for it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 15th September 2015, 04:22

Note that you can swap back and forth with vamp, as long as you have a sufficiently sized food stack, and don't do it like all the time.

Elec dtrident is pretty sweet, and if the rC++ lets you like, wear FDA with rC+ without costing a ring/amulet slot you can use them for other worthwhile protection-y things it might be worth it, if it's redundant then you're almost certainly better using the vamp bardiche generally.

Generally the secret to the late game is not running out of hps, and vampiric brand helps a lot with that, that being said, it's completely possible to win the game with a +8 elec dtrident.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 15th September 2015, 15:32

I was amazed when Sandman suggested to me that a vampiric war axe was a 3-runes endgame weapon on a HOAK, because it has a relatively low base damage. But he was certainly correct and I was frequently emerging from tough fights with near-max HP. Now you have reaching instead of cleaving on a much bigger weapon, but with Fedhas and Ice Beasts/Simulacra you can turn that into an advantage by reaching over allies/plants or reaching into Freezing Clouds. I wouldn't worry about switching back and forth, you ought to have plenty of permafood by now (and if you are feeling like that is scarce, then invest in Spellcasting).
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 15th September 2015, 21:55

diviton wrote:I would post a character dump, but for some reason I can't find it. Been a while since I've played so I'm probably just looking in the wrong place.

EDIT: Version 15 something for what that's worth.

Press # in game to get a dump. It might tell you where it goes. If not, search your filesystem for diviton.txt, assuming the character is called diviton.

Version 15 is somewhat old now, I'd recommend updating if you can.

greedo wrote:Honestly I could go either way. Electricity on a demon trident actually isn't that bad.

There's no weapon for which elec is bad.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

For this message the author rchandra has received thanks:
Sar

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice