Gloorx, Hellfire, and Oka in extended

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 19th August 2015, 18:02

Gloorx, Hellfire, and Oka in extended

Been running a bunch of MiFi lately just to try things out. Trying to run basically the same character but using different weapons 1H + shield/2H etc.

Was trying extended recently with one and I could not take down Gloorx Vloq. Had about 40AC and 35EV at the time. Using a +7 or 8 freezing eveningstar with might/agility/heroism/finesse. Seems like he is extremely tough to hit/hurt. What advice is there for taking him down? Maybe I should have had more than rN+ and it could have bought me some time against torment?

One handers with a shield seem very good in a 3 rune game. Damage isn't as high obviously but shields from my anecdotal experiences are underrated. So far in extended, I'm almost thinking that two handers are much better as most damage will be stopped by AC except unavoidable by hellfire/torment? Is this assumption right?

Oka - seems almost blah in extended, by then I usually ended up just maxing my skills easily and not needing heroism, and haste is almost as good as finesse. Gifts generally don't replace anything I already had. Perhaps maxing my skills was my mistake. I wonder if I could have gotten cBlink/haste online. Might be better than a few more points of AC/EV?

Related to that, I was using an enchanted up FDA, I also had CPA I could have enchanted but the overall defenses seemed better in FDA and most damage I was taking was from things more AC wouldn't help with. I'm assuming this was the right choice, provided I had actually trained my magic?

Heres the character I was running btw.
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/ ... 032004.txt

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 19th August 2015, 18:26

Re: Gloorx, Hellfire, and Oka in extended

Gloorx Vloq does not have impressive stats, you were just unlucky in that fight.
Correct, 2h are better in extended but +9 eveningstar (base damage 15) is not much worse than +9 great mace (base damage 17).
True, it is usually a good idea to have somewhat weaker defense but good spells in extended because of torment/hellfire, of course it's the best to have both.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 19th August 2015, 19:15

To do extended oka run train your skills only till 22, get throwing to 22, carry a 9+blowgun around always so you can get confusion, frenzy and paralyzing needles which are good against the unique lords, pan lords and fiends. try to acquire ammo if you are low on needles.
You shall never see my color again.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 19th August 2015, 19:22

Oh, didn't even think of using a blowgun. I tend to ignore them on stronger characters cause I don't need them early game.

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 19th August 2015, 20:56

dynast wrote:To do extended oka run train your skills only till 22, get throwing to 22, carry a 9+blowgun around always so you can get confusion, frenzy and paralyzing needles which are good against the unique lords, pan lords and fiends. try to acquire ammo if you are low on needles.
Sure it works, and killing paralyzed Pan lors is sweet, but it's a pretty huge investment...

Are you doing it with all your Oka-characters ? I only tried it once as SpBe...
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 19th August 2015, 21:00

I did have 25 throwing I think on this one already. I had javelins I was using at the time. Probably going to try different things on a bunch but will plan on giving blowguns a try, sure. Unless you were asking dynast?

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 19th August 2015, 21:04

Indeed I was, but thanks for the answer !
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 19th August 2015, 21:58

if your throwing apt is -1 or above its always worth. Not having to train your main fighter skills to 27 saves a ton of exp too.
You shall never see my color again.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 21st August 2015, 15:02

It's my opinion that if you're following Oka (and even oftentimes if you aren't) you should pretty much always take Throwing on a primarily melee oriented character with a reasonable aptitude, and quite particularly if you're using shields at any point. Javelins are ballin out of control all game long and blowguns are the delicious, paralytic icing on the cake.

But I'm a throwing junkie who is obsessed with javelin chucking and hates weapon swapping, so be aware of that

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice