Lignification/ambrosia

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 30th July 2015, 15:37

Lignification/ambrosia

I used ligni a couple of times vs. Gloorx because I thought it also will give me miasma immunity. It never did!

Also I think I used it vs. Eresh once or twice. Probably a dumb idea, but I didn't die.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 30th July 2015, 15:47

Re: Give Potion of Resistance rTorment and rHellfire

Sar wrote:I used ligni a couple of times vs. Gloorx because I thought it also will give me miasma immunity. It never did!

Also I think I used it vs. Eresh once or twice. Probably a dumb idea, but I didn't die.

Wow, you're braver than I am I guess. I suppose if you have cancellation on hand it's not that terrible of an idea, although the ev hit must also be pretty bad there.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 30th July 2015, 16:02

Well, braver or dumber, anyway. And I didn't even think of having !cancellation ready (I don't think I even knew it cancelled forms back then). I just had healing and good damage output and figured out I could outheal the incoming damage with Haste and deal good damage myself with a holy weapon and might.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 30th July 2015, 20:21

Lig is seriously my favorite consumable in the entire game, even beating out ambrosia. I love the idea of situationally useful items that reward strategic usage.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 30th July 2015, 20:27

I only just recently got great use out of a potion of ambrosia, which I never used before. Confused is better than dead, after all. Especially when wielding an axe.

I guess I just need to consider using lig more often.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
byrel

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 30th July 2015, 20:35

I was trying to figure out how ambrosia could save anybody, so I looked it up... and it gives HP regen now. 3-5 per turn. OK, that could have saved my life from poison at least twice this week. Live and learn...
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

For this message the author byrel has received thanks:
scorpionwarrior

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2015, 20:15

byrel wrote:I was trying to figure out how ambrosia could save anybody, so I looked it up...

... did you think that ambrosia is just a potion of confusion, with a rename? I don't understand why you'd try to guess the properties of a potion with a proper name. Its description says what it does, and the healing was in the very version where potions of ambrosia were introduced. This isn't nethack.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2015, 20:23

dowan wrote:I only just recently got great use out of a potion of ambrosia, which I never used before. Confused is better than dead, after all. Especially when wielding an axe.

I guess I just need to consider using lig more often.

Try to quaff it when you are confused by Orc Wizard anyway.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 13th August 2015, 02:20

Pollen_Golem wrote:
byrel wrote:I was trying to figure out how ambrosia could save anybody, so I looked it up...

... did you think that ambrosia is just a potion of confusion, with a rename?

IIRC, for a while it was super magic regen plus confusion.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 13th August 2015, 06:11

This stuff about using consumables really should be moved to the advice forum and discussion returned to about the OP. That said. Ambrosia are great to quaff in hell, in order to not 5 when really low on HP (less likely the effects of hell will kill you). Using IN combat is probably GENERALLY too risky because enemies get confuse stabs on you.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 13th August 2015, 06:34

bcadren wrote:Using IN combat is probably GENERALLY too risky because enemies get confuse stabs on you.

Only players get confusion stabs. The only monster stabbing is 5/2 damage when a monster attacks a sleeping player (paralysis doesn't count), or when a Shadow attacks a player who can't see it.

Edit: suply mising leter

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 13th August 2015, 12:46

Pollen_Golem wrote:

... did you think that ambrosia is just a potion of confusion, with a rename? I don't understand why you'd try to guess the properties of a potion with a proper name. Its description says what it does, and the healing was in the very version where potions of ambrosia were introduced. This isn't nethack.

No, I thought it gave MP regen. I didn't realize there was HP regen too.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 13th August 2015, 15:12

well the hp regen is crap, so

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 13th August 2015, 15:32

Crap isn't a number. "So" isn't a proper ending of a sentence either, at least not in this case. Also, you forgot to capitalize the W in well.

All in all, I give your post a D-. It's only the lack of a misplaced apostrophe that saved you from an F.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 13th August 2015, 15:36

My impression is that they give roughly the same amount of HP as HW, only spread out over about 8 turns.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 13th August 2015, 18:12

Re: Lignification/ambrosia

ligni+ambrosia are a great combination early game. Either would be too dangerous alone (at least if you wait until you are down to 20HP before !lignification, like I do) and together they safe the day.

Also lignification is useful against Mummies if(!) one has huge AOE damage but no other form of torment resistance. (Ru, Quazlal, lvl 9 spells)

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 13th August 2015, 22:04

I've used ambrosia once for some emergency healing on a DD. I can't really remember why I needed it at the stage where you usually find ambrosia but it seemed important then.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 13th August 2015, 22:58

My DDAK sure appreciated every potion of ambrosia that was found (splat on Zot:1).

I also remember a game where I was badly hurt and poisoned in a fight and had to hide behind a summon and remove my amulet of clarity to quaff ambrosia. A tight spot that one.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 14th August 2015, 14:05

duvessa wrote:well the hp regen is crap, so

When you play a lot of -3, and -4 HP aptitude races, you get used to the idea that you might die from 1-2 points of poison in the early game. The rate of regen and total pool are both really low. If after the fight you can pop an ambrosia and get 3-5 HP per turn, that will outheal almost any poison.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 16th August 2015, 07:23

dowan wrote:Crap isn't a number. "So" isn't a proper ending of a sentence either, at least not in this case. Also, you forgot to capitalize the W in well.

All in all, I give your post a D-. It's only the lack of a misplaced apostrophe that saved you from an F.

WOW DUNKED

edit for content because: I think the whole point was that someone could definitely be forgiven for overlooking the hp regen on ambrosia

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice