Need help with Berserker

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 04:00

Need help with Berserker

I just can not figure out how to keep a berserker alive. Going berserk seams to have a lot of down sides and and only a couple helpful traits. If I go berserk to try and clear a group it ends leaving me unable to do anything. While berserk you can't do anything to help like use scrolls,potions, or abilities. The random berserk often happens at the worse time when facing one enemy. Then a group shows up while your dead in the water and end up dead. If your facing one strong enemy it can help take them down but just as often all the handicaps lead to death.

How do you use the berserker, and berserk, after floor 3?
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
●→ Wins: MiFi,MiGl DsFi HoBe DDHu DECj DrCj ←●
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 04:08

Re: Need help with Berserker

you don't berserk every fight, think of it as a fighter with "berserk" being one option or one tool to use. If there is a very large group, you will likely calm down and then get crushed. So try to only use it against solo tough enemies or small groups. Also, if you have no other options, might as well go down swinging? "berserker" follows trog and he grants other abilities later like regen and MR++, and the ability to call berserked followers to aid you.

oddly enough, these might be more useful than berserking for berserkers.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 04:11

There is no random berserk unless you mutated (don't do that) or are wearing a *Rage item (you can just take it off).
The way you use berserk is to berserk on or near stairs, so that you can wait out the slowing on the previous level. Just berserking in explored territory is fine too, really. When berserking you don't want to do actions other than attacking in melee because it runs out really fast during those actions (except for butchering and eating). Berserking to move is generally not good.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
n1000, Sandman25

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 04:32

ajon wrote:If there is a very large group, you will likely calm down and then get crushed.

With Trog, it depends on how many squishy things there are in the group, since killing things can extend the timer. Especially if you have an axe, so that you don't have to choose between attacking the beefy stuff and the squishy stuff.
Last edited by Hurkyl on Monday, 3rd August 2015, 05:56, edited 1 time in total.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 05:05

LawndartJedi's ghost hits you!
You puncture LawndartJedi's ghost!
LawndartJedi's ghost explodes!
The fiery explosion engulfs you!
You die...

I've tried so many time my own ghosts are now hunting me down and killing me after I killed them because I got them killed. :shock:

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 06:05

One way to play a berserker is: don't berserk until you know the game better! Playing just a Fighter (or a Berserker who hardly ever berserks) will teach you the core tactics of luring enemies back to safe places to kill them. Berserk is an extra complication on top of that.

You should only berserk in emergencies, or if you are in a safe place and you know Berserk will kill all the things.

Check out this tactics guide: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16109
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 08:04

Lawndart Jedi wrote:only a couple helpful traits

1.5 HP modifier
Haste
+1d10 damage

That's not "only a couple helpful traits", that's "holy shit I am a killing machine".

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 5
Aethrus, nago, Sandman25, Sprucery, WingedEspeon

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 08:19

It's not clear what you mean by "random berserk". Berserk is voluntary for berserker, it doesn't happen by itself. Do you have berserkitis mutation, or are wearing some *Rage artefact?

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 09:46

Lawndart Jedi wrote: If I go berserk to try and clear a group it ends leaving me unable to do anything.

Don't berserk against groups, especially with low piety (you have greater chance to pass out, plus you are generally weaker and with lesser consumables to use after if it's still shit situation). Instead, separate the pack like you should do with any char, and kill the single dangerous monster alone eventually berserking if necessary - e.g. a single orc warrior with good equipment, a ogre etc.
Like minmay said, you don't want to berserk near unexplored territory, as you don't want either to attract new monster in the fight (at some point berserk will end) neither fight\escape things while slowed and maybe with low hp. I don't have the patience to kite things to nearby stairs before berserking but for a new player is certainly the most sensible thing to do.

How do you use the berserker, and berserk, after floor 3?

Whenever I want to kill something - e.g. I can't escape from it, or it is worthy enough xp\has good item\etc to be worth the hassle - I otherwise couldn't without using consumables or without risking a lot - lot depend of player style but it's like more than 30% max hp, This could be an adder on D:1 or orc warrior on D:4 with a plate I want. Anyway, I use it even in zot:5 - it's a very powerful ability, which requires a bit of experience to be used without being crippled by the drawbacks
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
Sar

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 10:04

One addition to these good advice above: avoid berserking against enemies that can blink. Orc wizards, crimson imps, phantoms and the unique wizard Eustachio are the first monsters in the Dungeon to do so. They blink away from a melee range leaving you raging against thin air and you will end up being slowed and thus more vulnerable.

Same pattern goes throughout the game. If you do not know the monster, check its spell list. If it has blink, deal with it some other way than berserking.

For this message the author Sphara has received thanks: 3
Sandman25, Sar, WingedEspeon

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 5th August 2015, 03:06

one excepting to the no berserking thing that can blink is if you can berserk it while standing on an up staircase to a cleared floor and you have enough nutrition to try the fight several times. If the monster blinks, run up the stairs and reset the fight. But for the most part, don't berserk things that can blink.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 24th August 2015, 19:39

I just can figure the Berserker out. In the later game you die so easy its crasy. Multiple times I have had characters with over 100 or 200 hit points and they die from one attack. Everything seams good, your tacking little hits and at almost max life, then death in one turn.

I wish there was a way to turn on damage so you can see what is happening
Last edited by Lawndart Jedi on Monday, 24th August 2015, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th August 2015, 19:42

Don't wait to be low on HP before escaping. I often use teleportation (and sometimes even blinking) while still at full HP. It requires some experience with game though. Or you can just check monsters list - if you have 3+ "extremely dangerous" monsters in LoS, it's probably time to escape, they can kill in 1-2 turns (depending on monsters and character of course).

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 24th August 2015, 19:49

Sandman25 wrote:Don't wait to be low on HP before escaping. I often use teleportation (and sometimes even blinking) while still at full HP. It requires some experience with game though. Or you can just check monsters list - if you have 3+ "extremely dangerous" monsters in LoS, it's probably time to escape, they can kill in 1-2 turns (depending on monsters and character of course).

The old versions use to show how hard an enemy is, current does not. I don't have the experience to know what is "extremely dangerous".

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th August 2015, 19:52

Lawndart Jedi wrote:The old versions use to show how hard an enemy is, current does not. I don't have the experience to know what is "extremely dangerous".

It is visible in "xv" mode ("extremely dangerous", "dangerous", "harmless" etc.). Very time consuming to check every monster, yes.

Consider playing in explore mode (you cannot die in this mode, no other difference with standard mode) to get yourself more familiar with late game monsters.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th August 2015, 20:54

Also, you will get more specific help if you post morgue files of dead characters.

Edit: ...or character dumps of living ones, of course :)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 24th August 2015, 22:29

One thing I've learned about berserking is to fire off Trog's Hand *before* going berserk. You can't do it after you're berserk and you start losing HP faster than you expected. You'll probably still have it going after you come out of berserking, so if there are still enemies around, the extra regeneration and MR could keep you alive while suffering from the slowness.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 24th August 2015, 23:18

Lawndart Jedi wrote:I just can figure the Berserker out. In the later game you die so easy its crasy. Multiple times I have had characters with over 100 or 200 hit points and they die from one attack. Everything seams good, your tacking little hits and at almost max life, then death in one turn.

I wish there was a way to turn on damage so you can see what is happening

Are you wearing and training armor? You can't cast spells so you basically have no reason not to wear the heaviest armor you can.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 25th August 2015, 03:53

Can you post a character dump or two? Are you playing online or offline?
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 25th August 2015, 04:35

Heavy armor melee characters are about the toughest thing in the game. If you're dying in a small number of hits, something's wrong. Wear heavy armor, train armour and dodging. Don't bother with a shield, just use a big 2-handed weapon. Trog gives you a lot of them.

If you're having trouble in the endgame specifically, my guess is the problem is bad armor selection (or really bad tactics, but you've won other melee dudes, so can't be that bad). In crawl, you want to optimize the quantity (AC + EV). For this kind of character, crystal plate armour (CPA) is your best bet, but it doesn't always generate. What always generates is storm and shadow dragon hides, both of which make nice dragon armor. Good SDA will make your berserker not easy to kill. Good plate works too if you find it.

Another possibility is that you're wasting stat points on str. Always go dex on berserkers until you've got 24 dex.

Still another possibility is that you're not using Brothers in Arms effectively. If you have a tough fight on your hands, summon some bros before you engage. Very few monsters are able to stand up to BiA.
Dungeon Crawling Advice tl;dr: Protect ya neck.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 29th August 2015, 11:49

Sandman25 wrote:
Lawndart Jedi wrote:The old versions use to show how hard an enemy is, current does not. I don't have the experience to know what is "extremely dangerous".

It is visible in "xv" mode ("extremely dangerous", "dangerous", "harmless" etc.). Very time consuming to check every monster, yes.

Consider playing in explore mode (you cannot die in this mode, no other difference with standard mode) to get yourself more familiar with late game monsters.

How do you change "modes?
----------------------------------------------------
Sprucery wrote:Also, you will get more specific help if you post morgue files of dead characters.

I play online so don't have any to upload.
----------------------------------------------------
mps wrote:...
Still another possibility is that you're not using Brothers in Arms effectively. If you have a tough fight on your hands, summon some bros before you engage. Very few monsters are able to stand up to BiA.

BiA has such a high cost in piety and food. Using it seams to remove all the piety gains and the food cost leave you hungry and unable to use any other skills. Then there is the fact that it doesn't always work so you wasted time and just got closer to death.

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 29th August 2015, 12:12

I don't know what game you're playing, but a couple things:

1. "Consider the hunger cost" is a joke. If you're in a situation where hunger costs seem significant, you've made a tactical error... one that can be corrected by eating a fruit.

2. While you can't use BiA in every fight, you can definitely use it in the ones that count and in those fights, it's one of the best god abilities in the game.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 29th August 2015, 13:26

Lawndart Jedi wrote:How do you change "modes?

Sorry, I was not clear, I used "mode" with 2 different meanings in that message. To enter explore mode you need to press "+" (Shift + "=") in main screen. To check monsters you need to press "x" (then "+" to rotate between monsters or just directional arrows) and then "v".

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 29th August 2015, 14:09

Lawndart Jedi wrote:
Sprucery wrote:Also, you will get more specific help if you post morgue files of dead characters.

I play online so don't have any to upload.

Actually, it's even easier to find morgues and character dumps online. All of your morgues are here. If you're playing on webtiles, character dumps can be found immediately in the tileschat window at the lower right of the screen; when you hit #, a link to your dump is generated. I'm not sure how it works for console players, but I'm sure someone else can help with that.

I took a look at some of your recent games. You should train more dodging and throwing, but I think the reason you're dying is because you're not running away. In every death I see after Lair, you had abundant options for getting out of fights, including blink and teleport scrolls, but you were standing and fighting instead. If your character is at 50% HP, you should already be exiting the fight unless you're sure you can win it. Knowing when to run away and when to keep fighting is one of those crawl skills that come with experience, but erring on the side of caution is a good idea in a game with permadeath.

It also looks as though you're underusing berserk; I'd suggest doing a lot more of that.

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 29th August 2015, 15:00

thx archaeo, doing god's work as usual.

Taking a look at your morgues, first thing that jumps out at me is using polearms. Don't do that. You're playing HO's, use axes. They're good. There are like four situations where committing to polearms is good: 1: you plan to do a lot of ally play, e.g. summons, necromancy, beogh, or yred; 2: you're sure you're going to have spectral weapon and you have kind of flat aptitudes (i.e. certain skalds, early book of battle finds); 3: you're merfolk; 4: you're a centaur. Notice that these are not you. Polearms are like axes in that they take a ton of xp, but they do very little for combat effectiveness unless you have some kind of angle, e.g. the situations listed above.

You should skill weapon only to about 10, then start mixing in fighting and then armour if you've got decent armour and then dodging. You want to keep fighting, armour, and dodging at about half your weapon skill as much as possible, prioritizing fighting and letting dodging lag behind a bit. Always skill your weapon until whatever you're using is at mindelay -- mindelay for battleaxe is at 20 axes, 26 axes for executioner's axe. As you start picking up runes, mix in evo and aim for about 10 by v:5. Carry a phial, a lamp, a fan, and sacks of spiders. Know how to use them.

This combo should easily beat the hell out of anything in a 3 rune game. Just use your god abilities.

e: of course, if you're really having trouble, MiBe is considerably stronger...

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 29th August 2015, 15:29

mps wrote:Polearms are like axes in that they take a ton of xp, but they do very little for combat effectiveness unless you have some kind of angle, e.g. the situations listed above.

You're really exaggerating. Polearms are only a little bit worse than M&F pretty much across the board, and even a little better at some points. Ignoring giant clubs, the only significant advantage of M&F is that Dire Flails are available unusually early for a weapon of its class. (and even that advantage goes away as you level up to the more damaging options)

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 29th August 2015, 16:38

I mean, mps may be exaggerating, but so are you. M&F is the best 1h weapon school (which is nice for those of us who like shields!), the cheapest 2h weapon school, and the only school in which endgame quality weapons are very common in the midgame. Those are all pretty significant, imo.

That said, you've sort of cut around mps' core argument, which I'd sum up as "pick a weapon type that's good for your species," which nearly always means picking whatever has the highest aptitudes. Of course, if you have flat apts and you're not speedrunning, I'd always pick M&F or staves, but that's probably personal preference. In the case of HOBe, not using axes is a little crazy.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 29th August 2015, 18:56

Hurkyl wrote:
mps wrote:Polearms are like axes in that they take a ton of xp, but they do very little for combat effectiveness unless you have some kind of angle, e.g. the situations listed above.

You're really exaggerating. Polearms are only a little bit worse than M&F pretty much across the board, and even a little better at some points. Ignoring giant clubs, the only significant advantage of M&F is that Dire Flails are available unusually early for a weapon of its class. (and even that advantage goes away as you level up to the more damaging options)

I'd call halberds the polearm equivalent of dire flails (they have the same base damage/accuracy, halberds are slower, take 2 more pips of skill, and get reach) which are also available really really early.

The extra hit you get at range 1 is slightly better in overall damage per attacks suffered against a single critter, unless you're fighting things with excessive high EV or HP, but it's slightly worse once it gets into a situation where there's more than one critter to fight (You can think of polearms as the inverse of axes in that sense)

All in all with flat aptitudes I always take the first good weapon I find and run with it, because the slight variances in damage per weapon type just don't make a large enough difference to be important in the long run.

Oh, and one situation I do particularly love polearms for which wasn't mentioned is when you have any spell that keeps critters away from you either for a while or even for an extra turn (e.x. conjure flame, confusion, mephitic cloud, slow) being able to poke things from an extra square away becomes more powerful in those circumstances.

None of that really relates to the OP, who needs help with berserkers.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 29th August 2015, 19:14

Polearms are not just slightly worse than M&F. If you cannot reliably exploit the range of polearms in fights, it is not worth 4 to 6 extra xp levels to use them. One extra attack is not reliably exploiting range.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 30th August 2015, 00:21

mps wrote:Polearms are not just slightly worse than M&F. If you cannot reliably exploit the range of polearms in fights, it is not worth 4 to 6 extra xp levels to use them. One extra attack is not reliably exploiting range.

Hint: Polearms come in a variety of types, just like M&F's do. e.g. you don't compare a Flail to a lament that it takes 6 more skill levels to get a Glaive to min-delay, you compare Flails to Tridents and you compare Great Maces to Glaives.

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 30th August 2015, 01:22

Please stop wasting my time. This is worse than the distortion thread. I'm not interested in discussing this with someone who wants to equate weapons having base damage 15 and 17.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 30th August 2015, 01:51

mps wrote:Please stop wasting my time. This is worse than the distortion thread. I'm not interested in discussing this with someone who wants to equate weapons having base damage 15 and 17.

Then it's fortunate that nobody here has equated weapons with base damage 15 and 17.

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 30th August 2015, 02:05

Regardless, HOBe should probably use axes unless Trog gifts some kind of absurd something else early on.

Remember to swap gear for even modestly tough fights (in that last morgue, you were fighting two fire dragons with an rF ring in your pocket). Spend your enchant scrolls (the cloak or the boots would be defensible choices). Consumables and piety don't do you any good after you've died, so you're saving things like blink scrolls and BiA invocations for longer than is helpful. In that same morgue, you had !Might, !Agility, and !Haste, any of which would have helped you take on those dragons. Or you could have berserked (though I tend to not like that so much with 1v2 tough monsters).

Using terrain better would also help (you could have taken one step backwards in that last fight and been in melee with only one dragon at a time) and as archaeo said: run away from things.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 30th August 2015, 03:47

mps wrote:Polearms are not just slightly worse than M&F. If you cannot reliably exploit the range of polearms in fights, it is not worth 4 to 6 extra xp levels to use them. One extra attack is not reliably exploiting range.

Polearm vs M&F, one on one analysis:

In all cases I used a Human, with 15 str, 10 dex, and 75-80% of weapon aptitude in fighting, and the same skill in M&F and Polearms (yes, this means that the polearm will be swinging more slowly, I also used a +0 unbranded variant of each weapon
  Code:
Spear vs Mace (low level, starting weapon) vs. hobgoblin:
5 Weapon skill, 4 fighting:
avg damage/turn (AvEffDam):
Mace: 1.9
Spear: 1.8
Hobgoblins have an average of 5.5 hps, that's 2.89 turns with a mace and 3.05 turns with a spear (on average)
On average the hobgoblin will get 1.89 attacks on the mace user and 1.05 attacks on the spear user.

Obviously that's the easiest case for the spear to win, let's move up the weapon scale, and do trident and flail against an orc:
  Code:
Trident vs flail (low level one of your first upgrades) against an orc:
8 weapon skill, 6 fighting:
Flail: 3.8
Trident: 2.7
(Now we're getting somewhere, that's a significant difference in damage/turn)
Orcs have an average of 7hps, Flail takes an average of 1.8 turns, Trident takes an average of 2.6 turns.
On average the Orc will get 0.8 hits against the flail user and 0.6 hits against the trident user

Um, well, that's closer the trident still won, but maybe if the trend continues we'll see a clear winner for M&F.
  Code:
Hablerd vs dire flail (Pre-lair, sometimes first, sometimes second upgrade) against an gnoll
14 weapon skill, 11 fighting
This should work pretty well in favor of dire flails, dire flails are pretty well known to be just awesome, and 14 is min delay for dire flail
dire flail: 9.8
halberd: 6.9
Gnolls have 13 hps on average, that's 1.32 turns from the dire flail and 1.88 turns on average with the halberd.
On average a gnoll (not using a polearm himself) will get .32 attacks against the dire flail user, and.... less than 0 attacks against the halberd user???

Ok, maybe I need to put us up against a bigger thing, let's try that halberd/dire flail again against a yak, it's tougher and should last longer:
  Code:
Hablerd vs dire flail (Pre-lair, sometimes first, sometimes second upgrade) against an Yak
14 weapon skill, 11 fighting
Dire flail: 9.6
halberd: 6.8
Yaks have 39 hps on average, That's 4.06 turns from the dire flail and 5.7 from the halberd.
That means the dire flail user will suffer 3.06 hits from the yak and the halberd user will suffer 3.7 hits

Aha! a success the numbers are all reasonable, and the difference is significant.
Well maybe we should try higher up the chain still then
  Code:
Glaive vs Great mace against a stone giant
20 weapon skill, 16 fighting
Should be interesting, both weapons take the same skill (20) to get to min delay.
Great mace: 13.0
Glaive: 10.0
Stone giants have 88 average hps, it takes 6.76 turns to kill it with the great mace, and 8.8 turns to kill it with the glaive,
The great mace user will suffer 5.76 attacks and the glaive user will suffer 6.8 attacks

Well, that seems to confirm our earlier results, but let's try for end-game stuff and see how that goes:
  Code:
Bardiche vs great mace, against a draconinan
weapon skill 22, fighting 22
great mace: 11.8
Bardiche: 10.3
Draconians have average hps 64.5 It takes 5.4 turns to kill one with the great mace, and 6.2 turns to kill one with a bardiche.
The great mace user will take 4.4 attacks and the bardiche user will take 4.2 attacks.....

So what's going on here?

So the truth is that polearm's extra attack (When you only get one) is worth less when the critters you're fighting take more attacks to kill, and when there's more of them (you have to fight a pack), when they're faster and when they have ranged attacks, and worth more when a critter is on it's own, and takes less hits to kill. It's also true that polearms take more XP to get to min delay, and like all weapons, gain a lot more damage from investing XP into weapon skill before reaching min delay than they do afterwards.

On the whole this means that polearms are better than M&F in the earlier part of the game, and not as good late in the game.

I don't think the difference is enough that you shouldn't ever use polearms, even if you only take the later game into account, if you only want to survive the early game, polearms are obviously a pretty good choice.
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 30th August 2015, 05:38

Siegurt wrote:Trident vs flail (low level one of your first upgrades) against an orc:
  Code:
Orcs have an average of 7hps, Flail takes an average of 1.8 turns, Trident takes an average of 2.6 turns.
On average the Orc will get 0.8 hits against the flail user and 0.6 hits against the trident user

Um, well, that's closer the trident still won, but maybe if the trend continues we'll see a clear winner for M&F.

Actually, your flail was against an unarmored orc, and your trident was against one wearing leather armor.

When I create an unarmored orc and run fsim against it, I get 3.7 and 3.6 AvEffDam for Flail and Trident respectively. With leather armor, it's 3.0 and 2.7.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 30th August 2015, 05:40

Hurkyl wrote:
Siegurt wrote:Trident vs flail (low level one of your first upgrades) against an orc:
  Code:

Actually, your flail was against an unarmored orc, and your trident was against one wearing leather armor.

When I create an unarmored orc and run fsim against it, I get 3.7 and 3.6 AvEffDam for Flail and Trident respectively. With leather armor, it's 3.0 and 2.7.

Ah fair enough, so the trident is significantly better than the flail against either kind of orc then (rather than only slightly better)

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 30th August 2015, 10:12

The numbers I see here suggest the following:

1. Polearms are sometimes better in 1v1, well-controlled fights, especially against weak opponents. This strikes me as fairly obvious.
2. Raw damage from polearms is generally lower at comparable xp investment given equal aptitudes.

Given my analysis upthread was that polearms are not worth it outside of situations involving high aptitudes or a reliable tactical angle that keeps the reaching advantage relevant for more than one turn in important fights, I don't think there's much else to say re: polearms vs. M&F.

More germane to this thread is axe vs. polearm. HO has a +3 axe aptitude vs. +1 polearms, so the comparison would not have equal weapon levels. Axes have the advantage of getting stronger instead of weaker in bad situations and have a powerful synergy with Trog's berserk mechanics. I think it's essentially incontrovertible that axes are the stronger option on an HOBe.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 31st August 2015, 03:48

1905674 LawndartJedi the Invulnerable (level 27, 273/273 HPs)
Began as a Hill Orc Berserker on Aug 24, 2015.
Was an Elder of Trog.
Escaped with the Orb
... and 4 runes on Aug 31, 2015!

The game lasted 13:54:16 (114172 turns).

Thanks to all that gave me pointers on staying alive. I think that was my biggest mistake, in that I would try to kill more than stay alive.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice