God gifts and shortblades

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 14th July 2015, 00:13

God gifts and shortblades

So god gifts are based on skills. High skill will gift more of that type. High shields gifts more one handers etc.

For short blades, does this mean leaving my skill at 8 while using a dagger/short sword/rapier instead of up to 12 or 14 will give me more chances at getting quick blades? Or is quick blades chance higher at higher skill?

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 14th July 2015, 01:08

Re: God gifts and shortblades

I'm pretty sure the skill correlation just means you are more likely to get a short blade than a mace, and has nothing at all to do with which short blade you receive.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 14th July 2015, 01:38

It's by weapon category, inside a category you're more likely to get weapon types you haven't seen before.

The chance of getting something in the category you've trained is higher, the chances max at out 10 more than any other weapon skill (So technically you've optimized your chances at getting a quickblade by not having seen one and having 10 more shortblade than any other weapon skill)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 14th July 2015, 01:52

Siegurt wrote:(So technically you've optimized your chances at getting a quickblade by not having seen one and having 10 more shortblade than any other weapon skill)

Technically, isn't there an interaction between multiple skills? e.g. wouldn't your odds of getting a short blade go up if you have 20 short blade skill, 10 long blade skill, and 0 in everything else?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 14th July 2015, 07:58

Even if you havent for some reason seen all of {a dagger, a shortsword, a rapier} yet, you have a very high chance of pulling a quickblade with acquisition (including god gifts of course, same mechanic), assuming your highest weapon skill is in short blades. Sometimes you will still get something stupid tho, like a falchion or a mace for whatever god awful reason. So if you are doing extended or at least more than just three runes, you have an almost certain chance of getting a quickblade, especially if you are with Oka or Trog.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 14th July 2015, 17:41

Side note, Elf is a good place to find quickblades.

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 15th July 2015, 02:52

Rast wrote:Side note, Elf is a good place to find quickblades.
Rarely in my experience AND the kind of character that would need a quickblade isn't the kind of character that would have an easy time in Elf early. (Unless you are a pure caster that wants one as a backup weapon. DON'T try elf as an enchanter that's idiotic.)
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 15th July 2015, 03:02

You have a decent chance of getting them off blademasters, or maybe in the hall of blades.

Of course, if you're taking on blademasters, you don't need their stuff, and I cannot imagine walking into the hall of blades on purpose, ever, unless maybe I had Tornado and was feeling ornery.

If you don't have a gifting god, weapon acquirement is far and away your best bet if you want a quickblade.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 15th July 2015, 03:07

The bigger spriggans in the depths tend to have quick blades too.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 15th July 2015, 03:49

bcadren wrote:
Rast wrote:Side note, Elf is a good place to find quickblades.
Rarely in my experience AND the kind of character that would need a quickblade isn't the kind of character that would have an easy time in Elf early. (Unless you are a pure caster that wants one as a backup weapon. DON'T try elf as an enchanter that's idiotic.)

It really isn't. Ac is fairly low in elf and everyone is vulnerable to either invisibility or silence and then you can tab them with a branded rapier or short sword.

njvack wrote:I cannot imagine walking into the hall of blades on purpose, ever, unless maybe I had Tornado and was feeling ornery.

Dancing weapons can't see invis. It's not hard to stab them to death if you have invokable or castable invis.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

For this message the author byrel has received thanks:
MainiacJoe

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 15th July 2015, 13:39

If tornado is a possibility, then airstrike is wonderful against dancing weapons.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 15th July 2015, 14:50

I've done it with Airstrike before, and it works, though the weapons do have pretty good AC. Summons would be OK too. The weapons are real fast, though, and it's easy to get mobbed by them; the terrain is not generally on your side. A disto or draining bardiche coming your way is no fun at all.

And after that, you're not guaranteed any particular weapon type, and I don't think there's other loot.

I guess maybe if I had a really solid ranged attack, had explored basically everywhere else, still hadn't found the weapon type I really wanted, and still had a bunch of enchant scrolls laying around after enchanting up something else, then maybe I'd go?
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 16th July 2015, 21:47

Ive never had any trouble in hall of blades (at least with any type of melee focused build), and am often confused by the rep it gets. Distortion is fairly common, theres that, so have plenty of MR and be able to kill them quick, but otherwise... meh. Free xp.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th July 2015, 22:08

MR does not help against distortion, though. But obviously you want to have good MR in Elf anyway.

I always do Blade but I don't claim that it's wise. I might flee if I see a disto weapon and can't take it out with ranged/summons. I like free exp too.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 22nd July 2015, 21:00

Yeah I don't see any need to be super afraid of hall of blades, it's easy enough to clear. Distortion is always a risk of banishment, but by the time you're doing elf abyss shouldn't be a significant threat to you either. You don't gain much from doing it, so if you don't want to clear it, there's no harm in that. It just isn't very dangerous to any character who's intending to clear elf:3, so I include it on the way down.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
dowan

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 27th July 2015, 03:50

byrel wrote:Dancing weapons can't see invis. It's not hard to stab them to death if you have invokable or castable invis.
Oh, good to know! My enchanters have had lots of trouble with them. One got Turkima's Studio for WizLab and barely survived!
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice