Faith

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 19th July 2015, 15:28

Faith

sounds much like Faith - either a godsend or really unwanted
Chicken wrote: (You should be able to control it with the control spell)

all sources of control teleport are gone in trunk

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th July 2015, 18:10

Re: Make ring of teleportation stop working when uncursed

the only circumstance where faith is ever unwanted is you are a demigod

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
nago, rockygargoyle, Sar

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 19th July 2015, 21:01

duvessa wrote:the only circumstance where faith is ever unwanted is you are a demigod

I'm no expert, but so far it seems better for my chars to have gourmand so that they can get ahead on food and not have to go diving into something too quickly.

The idea that a ring of distortion could be really good or really bad is intentional. I think items that are all good or (especially) all bad don't add much to gameplay, because there's no decision making involved. But give someone a random artifact with various strong positives and negatives combined ... then (s)he has to make decisions.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th July 2015, 23:35

Gourmand is one of the least useful amulets. What are you doing to be so hungry that permafood and chunks don't cut it?
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 20th July 2015, 06:02

duvessa wrote:the only circumstance where faith is ever unwanted is you are a demigod

Or worshiping Gozag, though in that situation you have bigger problems to worry about.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
rockygargoyle

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 20th July 2015, 20:03

Sprucery wrote:Gourmand is one of the least useful amulets. What are you doing to be so hungry that permafood and chunks don't cut it?

Spells and channel energy. Sick of constantly being at some stage near starvation while trying to get enough magic power to survive. Or trying to bash my way through walls with deconstruction...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 25th July 2015, 08:06

duvessa wrote:the only circumstance where faith is ever unwanted as long as you don't have better amulets is you are a demigod

FTFY.
Or am I the only one who uses scrolls to id unknown plain amulets late game?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 03:31

Sandman25 wrote:
duvessa wrote:the only circumstance where faith is ever unwanted as long as you don't have better amulets is you are a demigod

FTFY.
There are no better amulets, so...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 05:18

duvessa wrote:There are no better amulets, so...

Are we ignoring Vehumet/Sif Muna/Ashenzari/Makhleb/Dithmenos etc. here?
Amulet of regen/guardian/gourmand is better often and I would use amulet of 4 winds, brooch of shielding, amulet of vitality, macabre finger necklace over faith even with Trog/Oka/Qazlal/Yred.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
Berder

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 05:49

Well sure, artefacts can be better, but I figured that kind of goes without saying, and randarts can also have faith on them.
Sandman25 wrote:Are we ignoring Vehumet/Sif Muna/Ashenzari/Makhleb/Dithmenos etc. here?
Faith is excellent for all of those gods except for the specific case of vehumet at already-high piety.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, gammafunk

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 08:15

duvessa wrote:Well sure, artefacts can be better, but I figured that kind of goes without saying, and randarts can also have faith on them.
Sandman25 wrote:Are we ignoring Vehumet/Sif Muna/Ashenzari/Makhleb/Dithmenos etc. here?
Faith is excellent for all of those gods except for the specific case of vehumet at already-high piety.

I dislike Faith with Vehumet.
Regen/gourmand is better with Vehumet/Sif Muna/Ashenzari, regen/guardian is better with Makhleb/Dithmenos/Ashenzari IMHO.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 12:49

Re: Faith

Makh, really? You don't use active abilities much?

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 13:40

You must not spam shadow step as much as I do. Ash I'll give you though.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 15:04

Yes - pointless to have faith with Vehumet since you get piety quickly and it doesn't take long to get all the gifts. Faith is even bad while you're wearing it because you may get offered good gifts faster than you have the spell levels to accept them.

I don't like faith with Sif, because it just means you get a few more books. You get books anyway through Sif, through shops, and through floor drops, so it's not a large percentage increase in the total number of books available.

Faith with Ash might be ok until you're near full piety due to the initially slow piety growth, but then it's a nuisance. Scrying is very optional. You want to stay near full piety to maximize passives.

I, too, hardly use Mak active abilities due to the risk of hostile demons I can't handle, and also because you need to keep Mak piety at 200 to maximize passive healing. So faith with Mak is a problem.

Dithmenos - definitely, no faith. With Dith, it's more important to get the passives, which maximize at 200 piety. Shadow step is a completely optional thing that stabbers can use to reduce their turn count if they don't mind taking unnecessary risks. Every shadow step has the potential to put you in range of many dangerous things at once; it violates the rule to never walk towards enemies. Shadow form has little use before extended.

In addition to the ones you've listed, I usually wouldn't want faith on the following gods:

Gozag - faith does nothing with Gozag.

Kiku - I use corpse delivery with Kiku rarely enough that faith is primarily a nuisance that takes my amulet slot. Without faith I don't tend to run out of corpses to have delivered, and Kiku piety isn't good for much besides that.

Ru - faith does nothing with Ru.

Beogh - smiting is not worth training invo for.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

For this message the author Berder has received thanks:
Sandman25

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 15:17

Often toward the end of a 3rune game its less risky to shadow step stab than to kite a monster out of position. Especcially with dith umbra stealth its fairly unlikely they wake up and even if they do you can escape. Stabbers have trouble killing nonhexable high Ac monsters. A free stab lowers the risk of a golden dragon or tentacled monstrosity considerably.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

For this message the author byrel has received thanks:
partial

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 15:21

Eh? I think faith is great with Vehumet. You are showered with gifts, and can take it off when it reaches 15. Max piety is easily regained. There's almost no downside and plenty of upside.

Vehumet's early gifts are crappy, this overcomes this weakness and can result in an absurd power boost. Early sticky flame, cloud spells in Lair, lvl 8/9 spells in lair branches or vaults, and so on. Just train enough spellcasting to have slots open.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 16:00

I guess faith is poor with xom and gozag, but like, they're xom and gozag...

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 17:08

Xom is actually one of the gods I would use faith with. There's no penalty for removing it, and if you keep it on you get your mutations faster.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 19:10

Berder wrote:In addition to the ones you've listed, I usually wouldn't want faith on the following gods:

Gozag - faith does nothing with Gozag.

Not to argue that it's *worth* it, to wear faith over another amulet but, Faith reduces the prices on Gozag abilities, and increases the rate at which you are offered Ru sacrifices, which isn't "nothing" although it certainly isn't very interesting or really particularly good.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 19:57

Faith doesn't actually do anything with gozag: http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a= ... 1d975cc92e

I stand corrected about Ru.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 20:11

Berder wrote:Faith doesn't actually do anything with gozag: http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a= ... 1d975cc92e

I stand corrected about Ru.

Well, it did the last time I used it, although that just shows how interested I am in using Gozag :)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 27th July 2015, 10:08

Faith is not bad... ? Faith kinda sucks for a lot of gods. I can see it for gifts and for the few gods where spamming invocations is a useful thing to do, but usually not worth the slot much past lair.
Dungeon Crawling Advice tl;dr: Protect ya neck.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 27th July 2015, 15:10

Berder wrote:Kiku - I use corpse delivery with Kiku rarely enough that faith is primarily a nuisance that takes my amulet slot.

Why? Corpse delivery is pimp.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 29th July 2015, 06:00

bel wrote:Eh? I think faith is great with Vehumet. You are showered with gifts, and can take it off when it reaches 15. Max piety is easily regained. There's almost no downside and plenty of upside.

If I start with a book background then I have spells that can carry me to and through lair. It's icicle, fball, sticky, sandblast, bolt-o-lightning, bsphere. I really don't need that bolts of fire, IOODs and freezing clouds that early. What I want is to level my conj/elemental skills and get some defences if I have spare XP. I rarely spend too much XP on spellcasting (if I have negative or zero apt) until I have FS online, so spell gift shower will make me loose that IOOD or Iron Shot because I don't have ?amnesia in my bag.

For this message the author ololoev has received thanks:
Sandman25

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 29th July 2015, 23:16

duvessa likes ignoring all playstyles other than his own.
minmay wrote:
Sandman wrote:Are we ignoring Vehumet/Sif Muna/Ashenzari/Makhleb/Dithmenos etc. here?
To talk about these intelligently:
  • with some characters Faith makes Vehumet WORSE, because if you are say a HO or a Ce (-3 Spellcasting apt) the faster piety gain makes it unlikely you'll be able to accept most the gifts.
  • Sif actually is good with Faith for a good while (get to 6* faster in order to get gifts and to get gifts more often); but could probably be removed once you have the book gifts you want.
  • Now that Ash's skill boosts are available at **...knock yourself out; unless you are really spamming Scrying and Knowledge Transfer; you don't have a use for Faith.
  • Makhleb - sure. early game faith, maybe. But the Invos become useless with the passive still good.
  • Dith - I can see someone using Shadow Step often enough to want Faith.

hyperminqmay wrote:There are no better amulets, so...
This is the more dubious claim. I'd argue that the best (common) amulet depends on the character.
  • Faith is a contender with some of the Invo-heavy gods.
  • Spirit Shield is better on a low HP race (IE DETm).
  • Regen strikes me as fairly useless, but using it so you don't have 5 as much is cool, especially in Hell.
  • Amulet of Rage suits some characters (I evoked it a lot on a Troll with Statue Form).
  • Gourmand, I don't understand why so many people call it useless; to some character's sure, but if you're making heavy use of level 9's and don't want to run out of Perma-Food, you pretty much need it. It also makes it so you don't have to train Spellcasting as high to not starve yourself as a blaster-caster (very important to those with low apts).
  • Clarity - Necessary for a mummy or using alistair's intoxication. Really good as a switch when a player ghost has Dazzling Spray.
  • Resist Corrosion - Good switch for Slime and Depths [Caustic Shrikes and Rust Demons] (borderline necessary, actually).
  • Resist Mutation - Goodish for Haste users, again good switch for Slime and Pandemonium and Abyss. (borderline necessary for wretched stars if you don't have a way of killing them quickly and bad stealth)
  • Stasis - Switch for enemies that have paralysis, mostly. Good for Orc, Elf and Ancient Liches.
  • Warding - Underrated. Not the best way to do Tomb; but a way to do Tomb. Also a good switch in Elf. Making summons cantrip does a lot.

I don't like committing to faith except on really high Invo gods (or searching for a specific book with Sif); since the cost for switching is -1/3 piety is really high. It does cause me to scroll ID all amulets until I see it (more than Innacc which is harmless except costing a curse scroll).
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th July 2015, 23:54

bcadren wrote:duvessa likes ignoring all playstyles other than his own.
minmay wrote:
Sandman wrote:Are we ignoring Vehumet/Sif Muna/Ashenzari/Makhleb/Dithmenos etc. here?
To talk about these intelligently:
  • with some characters Faith makes Vehumet WORSE, because if you are say a HO or a Ce (-3 Spellcasting apt) the faster piety gain makes it unlikely you'll be able to accept most the gifts.
  • Sif actually is good with Faith for a good while (get to 6* faster in order to get gifts and to get gifts more often); but could probably be removed once you have the book gifts you want.
  • Now that Ash's skill boosts are available at **...knock yourself out; unless you are really spamming Scrying and Knowledge Transfer; you don't have a use for Faith.
  • Makhleb - sure. early game faith, maybe. But the Invos become useless with the passive still good.
  • Dith - I can see someone using Shadow Step often enough to want Faith.
well when I say faith is good I assume that you picked a god that you actually wanted to use, rather than picking a god and then not using any of their abilities. if picking a god and then not using it is your playstyle, sure, knock yourself out

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 30th July 2015, 00:59

duvessa wrote:well when I say faith is good I assume that you picked a god that you actually wanted to use, rather than picking a god and then not using any of their abilities. if picking a god and then not using it is your playstyle, sure, knock yourself out
That's actually really common for Makhleb in late game...It's also high cost, you can't switch to rMut when you need it, etc. Also geez it's piety +1/3 not piety x2; It's not such a huge boost to make it a no-brainer. Closest it gets to being a no-brainer is with Qazlal; but even then nuking your piety when you need rMut and rCorr might not be worth it...
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 30th July 2015, 01:32

if you are a HO or a Ce and you took Vehumet I assume you actually want to cast spells and, as such, want his boosts to come as early as possible

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
nago

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 30th July 2015, 05:38

duvessa wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:

FTFY.
There are no better amulets, so...

Says the person that said crown of eternal torment was bad (Guardian spirit essentially turns your MP into HP meaning that on a near pure/pure melee character GS is essentially like +20% HP some of the time. If torment immunity in extended wasn't worth -20% HP, I don't see how little extra piety is. This is assuming no other sources of GS have dropped, but still... Some of the time GS will be much better than faith.)
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 30th July 2015, 06:50

Berder wrote:

Dithmenos - definitely, no faith. With Dith, it's more important to get the passives, which maximize at 200 piety. Shadow step is a completely optional thing that stabbers can use to reduce their turn count if they don't mind taking unnecessary risks. Every shadow step has the potential to put you in range of many dangerous things at once; it violates the rule to never walk towards enemies.

shadow step is really handy... it is fun to warp into the middle of a sleeping group and stab them all, but it is useful in more conservative play also. i like to scout the area around sleeping enemies, then use shadow step to pick off the most dangerous at the start of the fight. also allows you to avoid risk of waking enemies whose los intercepts your path of travel but does not extend to your target. you don't have to just teleport blind into groups of enemies every time a sleeping monster appears. just a few uses will diminish the umbra so faith is really nice to have... though true dithmenos passives alone are enough reason to worship.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 30th July 2015, 12:48

You think regen is useless? I think its pretty nice especially if you can get a few sources of it at once. The healing rate feels like it becomes exceptionally fast. My one KoBe felt like I wasn't taking damage but when I switched out my Regen gear, it became apparent that I was just healing extraordinarily fast. Granted, there might be better choices if I were playing more extended now, and I will often switch out regen for rMut late game too.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 30th July 2015, 13:46

Sar wrote:if you are a HO or a Ce and you took Vehumet I assume you actually want to cast spells and, as such, want his boosts to come as early as possible
True; I'm conflicted though. If you take Vehu as a non --Cj or ---E start, you'll need to take a lot of the gifts to get started with Conjurations and trying to focus only spellcasting so you can keep up with the gifts gimps the character badly enough to be fatal. (It's good long term; but hurting yourself short term in early game is...pretty bad).

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 30th July 2015, 14:01

You don't have to take them all though. Most of the low level ones are ok, but not necessary if you aren't one of the backgrounds you mentioned. Just wait for the good ones. The passives are nice and the end ones are also a nice guarantee.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 30th July 2015, 14:54

When wearing faith with Veh, you can just take off the amulet if there's a spell that you really want.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 30th July 2015, 17:20

dowan wrote:When wearing faith with Veh, you can just take off the amulet if there's a spell that you really want.
that's actually Genius; the -1/3 immediate effect will greatly slow down the next gift.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 30th July 2015, 18:09

yeah ive done that on my current DEFE

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 31st July 2015, 02:11

Sar wrote:Makh, really? You don't use active abilities much?

It depends on character. As Gh I don't care about mutations/executioners/green death so I still spam servants even at low Invo (had Invo 12 with 15 runes).
As DD I tried Invo 27 but I liked Invo 0 and ignoring all abilities much more

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 31st July 2015, 02:19

Berder wrote:Gozag - faith does nothing with Gozag.

Kiku - I use corpse delivery with Kiku rarely enough that faith is primarily a nuisance that takes my amulet slot. Without faith I don't tend to run out of corpses to have delivered, and Kiku piety isn't good for much besides that.

Beogh - smiting is not worth training invo for.

I didn't mention 3 of those 4 gods because it was obvious for everyone IMHO. As about Kiku I agree with you, I don't spam corpse delivery unless I really need it because it takes away 50% XP. The more often you use corpse delivery, the weaker you become and the more often you need corpse delivery. Being both weak and piety-dependent is a very bad idea as is easy to see with Fedhas/Yred/Beogh/Kiku.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 31st July 2015, 02:26

well XP penalty doesn't really matter because you still have Kiku...

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 31st July 2015, 02:30

Sar wrote:well XP penalty doesn't really matter because you still have Kiku...

Yes, it is hard to run out of piety with Kiku (it's really OP in late game and requires low piety) yet I like to be strong and clear most levels alone, less key strokes and less real time.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 31st July 2015, 03:11

Sandman25 wrote:I didn't mention 3 of those 4 gods because it was obvious for everyone IMHO. As about Kiku I agree with you, I don't spam corpse delivery unless I really need it because it takes away 50% XP. The more often you use corpse delivery, the weaker you become and the more often you need corpse delivery. Being both weak and piety-dependent is a very bad idea as is easy to see with Fedhas/Yred/Beogh/Kiku.

I don't understand. Dropping a bunch of corpses in a corridor to Corpse Rot doesn't cost any xp in any sense, and neither does chain-Tormenting large monsters that I can then one-shot with ranged attacks.

Even if I'm making zombies, it isn't like they're going to be outdamaging me with my pain weapon. Since they are usually slow, they're probably all trailing behind me in the first place, so I can swap with them if something dangerous comes up, and if they're behind me they aren't going to be stealing any of my kills. Technically there's probably a tiny bit of xp leak when they kill off river rats or something, but I'm not even sure it's possible to approach 50% xp loss if the only pets you're using are distraction zombies.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 31st July 2015, 05:51

Sar wrote:if you are a HO or a Ce and you took Vehumet I assume you actually want to cast spells and, as such, want his boosts to come as early as possible

But Veh piety is easy to get. Even with a very late altar I usually get wizardry boost in L1-2. Ce can train enough conj&fire to have sticky for all early threats.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 31st July 2015, 05:56

Well with !faith you can get it earlier, every bit helps.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 31st July 2015, 06:18

KoboldLord wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:I didn't mention 3 of those 4 gods because it was obvious for everyone IMHO. As about Kiku I agree with you, I don't spam corpse delivery unless I really need it because it takes away 50% XP. The more often you use corpse delivery, the weaker you become and the more often you need corpse delivery. Being both weak and piety-dependent is a very bad idea as is easy to see with Fedhas/Yred/Beogh/Kiku.

I don't understand. Dropping a bunch of corpses in a corridor to Corpse Rot doesn't cost any xp in any sense, and neither does chain-Tormenting large monsters that I can then one-shot with ranged attacks.

Even if I'm making zombies, it isn't like they're going to be outdamaging me with my pain weapon. Since they are usually slow, they're probably all trailing behind me in the first place, so I can swap with them if something dangerous comes up, and if they're behind me they aren't going to be stealing any of my kills. Technically there's probably a tiny bit of xp leak when they kill off river rats or something, but I'm not even sure it's possible to approach 50% xp loss if the only pets you're using are distraction zombies.

You might run into significant losses if you relied on Delivery+Animate to mob kill most difficult enemies, who of course give a disproportionate share of XP.
I think that would only be a problem if you had an otherwise weak start, went Kiku very early and didn't get gifted Corpse Rot.
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 31st July 2015, 06:27

50% sounds scary on paper, but as both XP levels and skills become more expensive with each level and monster XP increases significantly, this really means lagging behind a couple of XP/skill levels at most, which isn't really a big deal since you are using Kiku/Summonings and those kill things just fine.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 31st July 2015, 06:33

Oh, right, I guess it's actually the non-degenerate version of "-1 skill while wielded". That's kind of cool.
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 31st July 2015, 09:55

KoboldLord wrote:I don't understand. Dropping a bunch of corpses in a corridor to Corpse Rot doesn't cost any xp in any sense, and neither does chain-Tormenting large monsters that I can then one-shot with ranged attacks.

I don't need any help in corridors usually. I am a bad player with regard to torment, I literally never use it unless I have rTorm.

Even if I'm making zombies, it isn't like they're going to be outdamaging me with my pain weapon.

Right, this is why I don't need them in corridors. I do use them in open terrain when I have to fight there, it's great when you are surrounded with allies instead of with enemies.
Since they are usually slow, they're probably all trailing behind me in the first place, so I can swap with them if something dangerous comes up, and if they're behind me they aren't going to be stealing any of my kills. Technically there's probably a tiny bit of xp leak when they kill off river rats or something, but I'm not even sure it's possible to approach 50% xp loss if the only pets you're using are distraction zombies.

Yes, I liked to use zombies shield this way when zombies were permanent. I still use them in trunk but not that often. Sometimes I leave corpses of killed monsters on ground and lure alive monsters to them before casting Animate Dead.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice