Hexes

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 23rd July 2015, 21:50

Hexes

Maybe the hexes school should have good spells that don't improve stabbing then. And I mean good spells, the mediocre mass confusion and discord are not good enough. It will never be worth training hexes for non-stabbers even if darkness was level 5.
Edit: this post and the rest were moved from another thread, I didn't start this thread.
Last edited by Wahaha on Saturday, 25th July 2015, 04:08, edited 1 time in total.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 24th July 2015, 04:24

Re: consider moving darkness from level 7 to level 6.

Confusing touch, invisibility and tukimas are all legit on nonstabbers. So is dazzling spray.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 24th July 2015, 04:38

Spectral weapon is good too.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 24th July 2015, 04:54

As is fulminant prism.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 24th July 2015, 04:54

byrel wrote:Confusing touch, invisibility and tukimas are all legit on nonstabbers. So is dazzling spray.
I grant you invisibility and tukima's, but nothing else.
Last edited by File200 on Friday, 24th July 2015, 05:08, edited 1 time in total.

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 24th July 2015, 05:01

Looks like this conversation needs a list.

The definitive mps list of good hexes:

1. spectral weapon
2. this space intentionally left blank
3. silence
4. invisibility if it were level 5
5. darkness if it were level 5

That is all.
Dungeon Crawling Advice tl;dr: Protect ya neck.

For this message the author mps has received thanks:
Wahaha

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 24th July 2015, 12:34

Re: Hexes

There are some spells that while even better for stabbers, are good for everyone.
Confuse, dazzling spray, tukima's, invis,
Then there are some hexes that benefit everyone pretty equally
Silence, darkness, corona, slow,
Leaving really just EH as only really good for stabbers

I don't think it's true that hexes are only good for stabbers, I think it's more that if you're going to use hexes, you might as well stab. Another possible issue is that hexes need good investment because they work off spellpower, so you can't just grab confuse and get it castable, you need to dedicate enough XP for it to effect targets worth confusing.

For example, as an AM who decides to invest in hexes, confuse is still a great spell, even if you don't use a short blade at all. Filling an enemy with arrows as they wander around aimlessly kills them just as well as a dagger stab, if not as quickly.

Mass confusion just doesn't last long enough, I think it could use a buff there.

Some hexes are basically throwaway garbage after the first few levels, like corona and slow.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
Lasty

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 24th July 2015, 13:20

come back enslavement!

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 24th July 2015, 13:31

I agree with dowan -- many hexes, particularly confuse and cause fear, are great for pretty much all characters. The reason is that there are a lot of dangerous enemies with remarkably low MR throughout the game, and all enemies are pretty harmless once confused or running away. A small investment in Hexes can give you a reliable way to safely handle a large number of otherwise dangerous monsters and situations.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 24th July 2015, 14:43

File200 wrote:
byrel wrote:Confusing touch, invisibility and tukimas are all legit on nonstabbers. So is dazzling spray.

Confusing touch and dazzling spray are both resisted by HD instead of MR. They're like mephitic cloud, except affecting rPois monsters and not being triple school and not making a ton of noise. (And not being a cloud spell, hence requiring extra casts if it fails.) I don't think anyone would argue that mephitic cloud is only useful on stabbers.

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 24th July 2015, 14:49

Repeat after me: If it depends on spellpower, it's not good for most characters.

Good spells have effects that do not depend heavily on spellpower.

I rarely use all my fear scrolls in a game, usually not even close. Yet their effect is way more powerful than cause fear essentially always and certainly on any character with a sensible amount of hexes. Similarly, I start dropping confuse wands early and don't seem to be any worse off for it, even though I always train evocations, an actually useful skill that increases their spellpower. The small number of situations where fear or confuse seem genuinely useful are well-covered by scrolls and wands. While I'm sure having spammable fear and confuse would prompt me to use both more, I still don't see the value on actually good characters. Saying that it's good on all characters is nuts -- sure, they'd be okay if you could get dedicated hex-user like spellpower for them, but obviously that's not a good idea through the part of the game where they'd be of much use anyway. Exchanging AC and EV for hexes in midgame is crazy for most characters.
Dungeon Crawling Advice tl;dr: Protect ya neck.

For this message the author mps has received thanks:
Berder

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 24th July 2015, 14:55

mps wrote:Repeat after me: If it depends on spellpower, it's not good for most characters.

Agreed. Which is why hexes that don't depend on spellpower (say, confusing touch, invisibility and dazzling spray) and hexes with huge boosts to effective spell power like tukima's are good on everyone. And EH/confuse is a bit weak on most characters.

Edit: I think I should pitch tukima's a bit. It will have a >50% chance of disarming an ettin or hellknight with minimal training. It creates a dancing weapon ally that never times out till the target is dead, which causes both distraction and a ton of bonus damage. It means you never get hit by distortion (or holy wrath or flaming if vulnerable) weapons on anything without a huge amount of MR. It means you can disarm the reaching weapons in a pack before they can get to you, and you can have those extra attacks on your side.

For this message the author byrel has received thanks: 2
all before, radinms

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 24th July 2015, 15:52

back to 0.16 and start at AM.
worship Cheibriados and spam Enslavement, Cause Fear!

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 24th July 2015, 15:58

I use confuse/enslave wands all through the game, if I train some evo (even 10 or so is good). Convokers/sentinels in Vaults, and draconians in Zot, pretty much everything in spider are good targets.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 24th July 2015, 16:02

Plus tukima's dance weapons kill outside Los, and I can't check right now but I think they're also faster than normal speed so you can get lots of cheap kills!
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 24th July 2015, 16:24

nago wrote:Plus tukima's dance weapons kill outside Los, and I can't check right now but I think they're also faster than normal speed so you can get lots of cheap kills!

Yeah, distortion QB + tukima's is insane. A TP away is basically a kill, since the weapon will hunt them down and kill them.

For this message the author byrel has received thanks:
dowan

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 24th July 2015, 16:36

sadly, tukima's weapon by the player is slow.
(Maybe spellpower)

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 24th July 2015, 16:58

I'm not sure how the move speed goes. I know giant clubs, etc are slow, but I think lighter weapons are faster. Not 100% sure, since I mostly use it on heavy weapons in or close to melee range.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 24th July 2015, 19:10

For an anecdote, I found confusing touch fairly early on a troll of Chei I'm playing and proceeded to use it (with some judicious bend time use) to kill all the hydras in lair. If a hydra is confused, it mostly doesn't attack you. I trained Hexes to 4.5 for that, mostly to get the fail rate down (I was using a shield with minimal training.) I used it to kill a frost giant in an ice cave, and 4 catoblepas's. It's good.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 25th July 2015, 04:12

If these supposedly good spells were actually good, it would be worth getting hexes with non-stabbers. But it's not. Aside from spectral weapon, which is OP and only level 3.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 25th July 2015, 04:42

File200 wrote:

confusing touch is FILTHY on trolls
I love pitsprint and pitsprint culture.
dpeg wrote:The only good player is a dead player.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 25th July 2015, 22:43

radinms wrote:sadly, tukima's weapon by the player is slow.
(Maybe spellpower)

Yes, it gets faster with spellpower.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 03:15

I think hexes are the most versatile spell tree, except for maybe necromancy. Certainly they are my favorite spells. If their were a hex god (no, not sif muna, what a boring god) I would pray regularly.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 27th July 2015, 20:41

My experience with hexes on low-to-moderate int characters is remarkably different from Wahaha's and mps's. Both confuse and tukima's have good success rates even at fairly low int/investment against low MR sometimes-threatening monsters like most merfolk, ironbrand convokers, vault sentinels, draconians, ettins, deep trolls, ugly things, and more. With a moderate investment, the list expands to several more threats, like vault wardens, tengu reavers, fire/ice dragons, stone giants, fire/ice giants, and caustic shrikes.

In one recent game I took out most of the shoals by hitting the dangerous merfolk with confuse and tukima's and then walking away -- safe, reliable, no commitment to dangerous terrain.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 31st August 2015, 10:24

I'm starting to develop an infatuation with Slow in early D and Lair. For just a little skill investment, you gain what against many early threats is for most practical and tactical purposes effectively a 2MP glow-less haste. Obviously, I'm talking about one on one encounters and about being able to start casting it from far away, which is what should happen if you play carefully in early D.

Once you made that little investment, the cost for the next upgrade in Hexes would seem marginal and thus set you on a road to develop hexes fully. It's like crack, I suppose. I'm still exploring and experimenting with it, but that doesn't seem like a bad thing, though. None of my test chars has found Tukima's early enough for me to evaluate it. But high power Mana Vipers seem to be awesome.

EDIT: Correction: It's not 2MP, effectively, since in the described situation it will take more than one casting most of the time. It is lvl2, though.
"... while we / Unburden'd crawl toward death." -- King Lear I,1

Barkeep

Post Monday, 31st August 2015, 14:42

Siegurt wrote:As is fulminant prism.

Why on earth is prism conj/hex? There's nothing hexy about it.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 4
archaeo, duvessa, Sandman25, Wahaha

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 31st August 2015, 15:43

njvack wrote:
Siegurt wrote:As is fulminant prism.

Why on earth is prism conj/hex? There's nothing hexy about it.

I think because they wanted to give conjurers something else in their starting book that used the hexes skill.

The closest I can think of to why it might be a 'hex' is that it is sort of a trap like thing, but that sounds pretty lame to me.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 31st August 2015, 15:54

It's because it hexes... the floor... with a prism status effect.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Barkeep

Post Monday, 31st August 2015, 16:54

maybe it's a hexagonal prism?
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 5
Hurkyl, ldf, Sandman25, Sprucery, xentronium

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 31st August 2015, 17:21

njvack wrote:maybe it's a hexagonal prism?

Just change the tile to a hex and that's it.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 31st August 2015, 17:40

WITCHES

For this message the author ontoclasm has received thanks:
gammafunk

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice