I think we learned an important lesson today.

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 1st April 2011, 14:13

Re: I think we learned an important lesson today.

The 'spam it with imps thing' will deal with most problems in the Lair. This list does not include Rupert, who will get just injured enough to berserk, then chase you down and kill you dead.
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 3rd April 2011, 09:10

I've learnt 3 lessons today.

The first two everyone knows: D:1 GDA will never be found by anything remotely suited for heavy armour (DrNe! (least it wasn't a Spriggan I guess) Though since I was going hybrid anyway I kept it and started grinding armour skill later on).

The second: Xom will meet any good luck with a dose of bad luck (mutation potion on D:2 gave berserkitis and hunger, no cure mutation pots, or other chances to mutate to be found the whole game).

And lastly: No matter how safe you feel, don't put heavy armour on in the open, as you get no chance to react to becomming a Hydra's breakfast. :(

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 18:46

DemonOfWrath wrote:And lastly: No matter how safe you feel, don't put heavy armour on in the open, as you get no chance to react to becomming a Hydra's breakfast. :(

It is really inconsistent (read: crap) that spell memorization interrupts exist, but eating/armoring-interruptus does not. Maybe with a "So-and-so comes into view, continue eating/putting on armor? Y/N" prompt and again with "You are being attacked by a so-and-so; continue eating/putting on armor? Y/N".
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 19:01

XuaXua wrote:It is really inconsistent (read: crap) that spell memorization interrupts exist, but eating/armoring-interruptus does not. Maybe with a "So-and-so comes into view, continue eating/putting on armor? Y/N" prompt and again with "You are being attacked by a so-and-so; continue eating/putting on armor? Y/N".

There are too many annoying prompts as it is. I like the 'no interrupts' on eating, because your berserker needs to be satiated to berserk. As for donning armour, it kind of makes sense as a 'shirt over your head' condition.
Granted, I've been killed for donning armour a couple times myself.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 02:24

Katak wrote:
XuaXua wrote:It is really inconsistent (read: crap) that spell memorization interrupts exist, but eating/armoring-interruptus does not. Maybe with a "So-and-so comes into view, continue eating/putting on armor? Y/N" prompt and again with "You are being attacked by a so-and-so; continue eating/putting on armor? Y/N".

There are too many annoying prompts as it is. I like the 'no interrupts' on eating, because your berserker needs to be satiated to berserk.

It could work if a partial food consumption would apply. Anyway, offtopic.

I learned today that big rations take three turns to eat, regardless of your race or character speed.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 02:51

I learned today that big rations take three turns to eat, regardless of your race or character speed.

Sounds like a hint to some worthy addition to the game.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 06:43

Okawaru can gift you something in the same turn that your teleport kicks in. Resulting in you not getting your prezzie. This can happen in the Abyss.

Speaking of the Abyss, a legendary deck of escape can put you there. Don't draw from such decks.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 15:53

pratamawirya wrote:

Sounds like a hint to some worthy addition to the game.

I've submitted it to the dev wiki for discussion.

Today I learned that Sure Blade really is awesome.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 20:28

Grimm wrote:Speaking of the Abyss, a legendary deck of escape can put you there. Don't draw from such decks.

To be more precise Damnation card will banish u to abyss but only if u dont have no monsters in sight.

Btw this card doesnt consider animated weapons as "monsters" so it will banish u instead :evil: :!:
The flail fails to defends itself.
You open the flail like a pillowcase!!!

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 8th April 2011, 01:20

I have learned that the ghosts of my lost characters are like my old characters on steroids. I don't think I would ever have pulled off spam summoning 10 ice beasts in a row while playing o.o;

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 8th April 2011, 16:28

galdon wrote:I have learned that the ghosts of my lost characters are like my old characters on steroids. I don't think I would ever have pulled off spam summoning 10 ice beasts in a row while playing o.o;

At least berserker ghosts don't seem to berserk, but they do keep your +6,+8 vorpal short swords.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 8th April 2011, 23:17

At least berserker ghosts don't seem to berserk, but they do keep your +6,+8 vorpal short swords.[/quote]
This is why I always wield a meat ration before I die.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 9th April 2011, 07:54

This was my most annoying and stupid death in any roguelike. Ever.

Put this:

Code:
force_more_message = You are starting to lose your buoyancy

in your init.txt.

By default the game will warn you only when this happens while over water (Careful! ...) and force a "more" message. If you happen to be on a land square at just this moment - then not. You will miss the message and no matter how strong your character is you will drown horribly.

This might be considered a bug: You can be one turn from instantdeath and the game will not warn you at all. Iirc you get ample warnings when your hitpoints are low. I think you should get a warning every turn if you are over water/lava and levitate/fly is known to be running out.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 9th April 2011, 08:42

Use-IDing crystal balls is unadvisable...

Doing so while you have teleportitis ON A LEVEL THAT'S NOT ENTIRELY EXPLORED is a recipe for YASD (man, that was so stupid...)

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 9th April 2011, 09:24

shiweera wrote:This was my most annoying and stupid death in any roguelike. Ever.

Put this:

Code:
force_more_message = You are starting to lose your buoyancy

in your init.txt.

By default the game will warn you only when this happens while over water (Careful! ...) and force a "more" message. If you happen to be on a land square at just this moment - then not. You will miss the message and no matter how strong your character is you will drown horribly.

This might be considered a bug: You can be one turn from instantdeath and the game will not warn you at all. Iirc you get ample warnings when your hitpoints are low. I think you should get a warning every turn if you are over water/lava and levitate/fly is known to be running out.

I changed this recently. The old behaviour was to force a more prompt whenever levitation was expiring, which was sometimes very annoying. And there was no prompt for form expiration. The new behaviour tries to be smarter. You get a prompt if it starts expiring when you're over deep water / lava, but also when you enter such cell while your effect is expiring. So the only way to die without a prompt would be to fly over deep water and then have your levitation immediately expires. In this case, you still have a chance to scramble free. Is that what happened to you?
A better way to fix this than going back to the always prompt behaviour, like you suggested, would be to ask the player for confirmation when he tries to enter deep water / lava while his lev / form is expiring.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 9th April 2011, 11:39

galehar wrote:I changed this recently. The old behaviour was to force a more prompt whenever levitation was expiring, which was sometimes very annoying. And there was no prompt for form expiration. The new behaviour tries to be smarter. You get a prompt if it starts expiring when you're over deep water / lava, but also when you enter such cell while your effect is expiring. So the only way to die without a prompt would be to fly over deep water and then have your levitation immediately expires. In this case, you still have a chance to scramble free. Is that what happened to you?
A better way to fix this than going back to the always prompt behaviour, like you suggested, would be to ask the player for confirmation when he tries to enter deep water / lava while his lev / form is expiring.

I thought I would always get at least a warning one turn before things expire. Maybe it happened to me that it immediately expired. I thought that I just missed the warning. The message backlog in the morgue file (which I do not have anymore unfortunately) did not go back very far - so no way to check. I played in the git version of a few weeks ago at most.
If flight/levitation can expire immediately then hovering over water for extended periods of time is fucking dangerous - didn't know that.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 9th April 2011, 12:39

shiweera wrote:
galehar wrote:I changed this recently. The old behaviour was to force a more prompt whenever levitation was expiring, which was sometimes very annoying. And there was no prompt for form expiration. The new behaviour tries to be smarter. You get a prompt if it starts expiring when you're over deep water / lava, but also when you enter such cell while your effect is expiring. So the only way to die without a prompt would be to fly over deep water and then have your levitation immediately expires. In this case, you still have a chance to scramble free. Is that what happened to you?

I thought I would always get at least a warning one turn before things expire. Maybe it happened to me that it immediately expired. I thought that I just missed the warning. The message backlog in the morgue file (which I do not have anymore unfortunately) did not go back very far - so no way to check. I played in the git version of a few weeks ago at most.
If flight/levitation can expire immediately then hovering over water for extended periods of time is fucking dangerous - didn't know that.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. There's no warning "one turn before things expire", there never was. The expiring message is a few turns before the spell ends. There's always a message when your levitation starts expiring. If it happens over deep water, then you also get a more prompt. If you didn't get the more prompt (because the spell started to expire while you were over solid ground) and then go over deep water, you get another warning with a prompt. But it happens after your move, so if the spell ends on the same turn, you can drown before being warned with a more prompt. That's why maybe a confirmation message may be more appropriate.
Same logic is used for swimming/flying forms and also lava.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 9th April 2011, 12:56

What I've noticed is that if I'm auto-traveling, I get the more prompt, but that doesn't stop my movement. It seems like prompts should always stop auto-movement.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 9th April 2011, 13:04

jejorda2 wrote:What I've noticed is that if I'm auto-traveling, I get the more prompt, but that doesn't stop my movement. It seems like prompts should always stop auto-movement.

Good point. On the other hand, is this even possible to travel/autoexplore over deep water or lava unless you can do it permanently (boots of levitation/merfolk/grey drac/kenku)? I think it shouldn't be possible, and I thought it wasn't.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 9th April 2011, 13:32

I just tried in wizard mode for the latest trunk version: Go to shoals, cast fly while on land. Wait until expire message pops up. Go into deep water: no warning. Wait a few turns. Die.

Edit: All Forms of auto travelling didn't work while flying over deep water.
2nd Edit: Tried again in wizard mode: I get the warning sometimes. Seemingly randomly.

For this message the author shiweera has received thanks: 2
galehar, pratamawirya

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 9th April 2011, 15:28

I've implemented the confirmation prompt. This should be safer. Let me know if you keep drowning without warning.

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
shiweera

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 10th April 2011, 16:55

Don't walk around at Near Starving when there are vault rooms filled with eyeballs. I literally stood there while my berserk status faded and died.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 10th April 2011, 18:43

A dagger of draining can, when wielded against you at XL 1, drain all your tiny amount of XP and kill you in one blow.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 10th April 2011, 20:22

kiku's recieve corpses ability got horribly, horribly nerfed in the newest version. it is now useless. :cry:

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 10th April 2011, 21:05

The Mantis wrote:Don't walk around at Near Starving

Words to live by!

Barkeep

Post Monday, 11th April 2011, 00:30

ghend wrote:kiku's recieve corpses ability got horribly, horribly nerfed in the newest version. it is now useless. :cry:

Really? Nerfed how? I was just gonna try a Ghoul of Kiku and was kinda counting on snacks...
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th April 2011, 08:44

Crazy Yuif can, in a remarkable series of events, ignite the trees outside his hut, causing a wild forest fire, then confuse you, causing you to stumble into said fire, burning most of your scrolls and then you yourself just a couple of turns later.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks: 2
mageykun, Stormfox

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 11th April 2011, 10:45

njvack wrote:
ghend wrote:kiku's recieve corpses ability got horribly, horribly nerfed in the newest version. it is now useless. :cry:

Really? Nerfed how? I was just gonna try a Ghoul of Kiku and was kinda counting on snacks...

Should still be alright for snacks. It summons up about 1-3 corpses of mediocre strength now, when before it was about 9 corpses and about 2-3 guranteed strong ones.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 12th April 2011, 18:55

galehar wrote:I've implemented the confirmation prompt. This should be safer. Let me know if you keep drowning without warning.

Thanks. Tested again (but not extensively). Seems to work now.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2011, 01:22

joellercoaster wrote:The 'spam it with imps thing' will deal with most problems in the Lair. This list does not include Rupert, who will get just injured enough to berserk, then chase you down and kill you dead.

The "spam it with snakes" thing will deal with most problems in the Lair, including Rupert. By the time he's done mowing through a dozen (or two) arrows' worth, he's almost dead, poisoned, and waiting for that last hit to finish him off.

They'll take down hydras, too.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2011, 05:12

It is possible to reach D 7 without seeing a single wand or piece of jewellery.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2011, 12:47

ghend wrote:
njvack wrote:

Should still be alright for snacks. It summons up about 1-3 corpses of mediocre strength now, when before it was about 9 corpses and about 2-3 guranteed strong ones.

was
  Code:
3 + pow / 18; // 3 at 0 Inv, 9 at 27 Inv.

is now
  Code:
1 + random2(pow / 36); // 1 at 0 Nec, up to 4

I don't think there ever was guaranteed strong ones. Strength of corpses hasn't been changed appart from depending on necromancy instead of invocation.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 05:57

Do not fight ice beasts while wearing dragon armour.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 06:06

Sprinter wrote:
Grimm wrote:Speaking of the Abyss, a legendary deck of escape can put you there. Don't draw from such decks.

To be more precise Damnation card will banish u to abyss but only if u dont have no monsters in sight.

Btw this card doesnt consider animated weapons as "monsters" so it will banish u instead :evil: :!:

This is not exactly true. Damnation is guaranteed to abyss you if there are no monsters in sight, but it still has a chance of banishing you if there are... which is probably what happened with this dancing weapon of yours.

Also, all types of escape deck can contain damnation. Hooray for escaping.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 07:28

Before going into an Ice Cave, make sure you have all the fire power you can possibly muster. In my specific case, take at least one recharging scroll for that wand of fire, so that you can take out the ice statue at the end of the cave instead of it taking out you.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 07:51

*one* ice statue? i hardly find less than two. and ice devils. and berserking polar bears. and sometimes a frost giant. may be my luck, but lately i've fared way, way worse than on any other kind of portal. bail out, or die! and that was with (near-bloodless) vampires or transmuters with ice form, so resistances were not the problem.

done rantin'!
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 07:58

This one had imps, simulacra and freezing wraiths - these latter were the worst - then one ice statue at the end. I rushed it foolishly and got pinned by some summons. Even my flaming broad axe (tip of the visor to Okawaru) couldn't save my by then well-refrigerated bacon.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 12:23

absolutego wrote:and sometimes a frost giant

I just teleportitis'ed my way straight into a room with a frost giant and his little gang of polar bears. And wolves. Always the wolves.

Fortunately, I got to leave the same way I came in! Then I stayed gone.

This then turned out to be a valuable lesson when the same Lair floor generated a Spider Nest portal. I didn't even go inside, just kept right on walking...

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 15:48

2. Simulacra are vulnerable to Dispel Undead :)

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 19:14

'z' and 'a' are right next to each other. This does not mean that 'zd' (Animate Dead) do anything remotely similar to 'ad' (Summon Greater Servant).

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 19:57

^Yeah, invoker / spellcasters can be a deathtrap for the unwary. There's nothing quite like activating the wrong spell or ability in a critical situation, just because you couldn't remember the difference between z and a.

My lesson for the day: Ossuaries are a paladins best friend. They're a piety bonanza!

Edit:

An Additional lesson: the Shinning One may disprove of your using poisoned weapons, but He's got nothing against you leading pesky ogres over needle traps. ;)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th April 2011, 08:17

If you test a wand on a queen bee, and that wand turns out to be a wand of polymorph, one of the things that queen bee might turn into is a guardian serpent.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th April 2011, 09:15

They are now putting necromancers in Ice Caves, which is hardly fair, as you are all togged up for cold combat and these necromancers come throwing fire at you, with predictable results.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 15th April 2011, 18:28

Just tried Ash for the first time. The important lesson:

Do not convert ALL of your remove curse scrolls. You'll need a couple to upgrade your equipment...
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 15th April 2011, 22:39

When you draw Orb of Electrocution from a legendary Deck of Destruction, it can deal 105 damage to you even if you target something 2 squares away. The Wiki suggests 100 HP is safe. It is wrong.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 16th April 2011, 06:19

the abyss rune is far easier than the vault 8 rune. I didn't even see a single 1 all my time there, just lots of skeletal warriors.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 16th April 2011, 15:21

Hunters are so, so, sooooo hosed when beserked. Shoot my crossbow? Too beserk. Swap to axe? Too beserk. Wands? Spells? Just use your speed to run to the place where it's most convenient for the monsters to butcher your passed out not-yet-corpse.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 17th April 2011, 05:46

ctrl-f does not find trees or fungi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 17th April 2011, 06:25

If you are in the bailey with the big central lake with towers at the corners, please do not forget that there are teleport traps in the centers of the towers, because if you do forget, you will step on one, be teleported into the central death chamber, and lose your pretty awesome character.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 17th April 2011, 08:00

Well, that Death Yak is NOT a goat !

For this message the author Artan has received thanks:
joellercoaster
PreviousNext

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice