I think we learned an important lesson today.

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 10th November 2011, 01:16

Re: I think we learned an important lesson today.

However tough you think your DS is, an Ettin with a (and possibly two) great mace of holy wrath can hit you for over 100 HP of damage in a single turn.

Also: There is a good chance that in the mid/late game your freezing cloud spamming DsWz will need those extra few HP from training fighting. :)

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 10th November 2011, 23:31

Just because your hybrid has a sword of flaming at level 12 doesn't mean you should melee hydras. Goodnight sweet prince.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 11th November 2011, 00:45

My last lesson led to my next lesson: don't melee a ghost with sticky flame

For this message the author Happylisk has received thanks:
Zelkelion

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 11th November 2011, 06:43

Playing crawl while cooking steak...
You will eat VERY well done. :cry:

For this message the author varsovie has received thanks: 2
MyOtheHedgeFox, pratamawirya

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 11th November 2011, 12:21

Don't forget you took off your amulet of clarity while evoking wucad mu's staff (near YASD).

Also: you CAN evoke decks of cards while confused (prevented YASD :D)

For this message the author greepish has received thanks: 2

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 12th November 2011, 16:22

Disc of Storms + decent evo skill make the random spriggan forest dungeon level silly!

For this message the author robulon has received thanks: 2
mageykun, MyOtheHedgeFox

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 12th November 2011, 19:40

After being greeted on Orc:1 by two orc knights, one sorcerer, a troll, Agnes and a bunch of priests next to the stairs I've learned not to do the Orc branch until at least level 14...

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 13th November 2011, 03:32

Sideways toaster for grilled cheese does not work. Unless you're trying to make a poor man's fog machine and set off the fire alarm.

For this message the author AtT has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 13th November 2011, 04:34

Disappointingly, iron devils don't explode in a show of metal shrapnel as you might expect when hit with Lee's Rapid Deconstruction.

(Okay, that's more of a mediocre lesson).

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 13th November 2011, 08:30

After stabbing a ballistomycete for twenty something turns with a dagger as a SpEn, a quokka wanders in. Tired of plinking at the fungus I decide to try out my new spell, inner flame, on said Quokka. Quokka walks next to me and the ballistomycete, I stab it:

Code:
You hit the quokka.
The quokka explodes!
The fiery explosion engulfs the ballistomycete.
You destroy the ballistomycete!
The fire burns you terribly!
Ouch! That really hurt!
You die...

So... Yeah. Exploding quokkas work as fine fungicide, with the side effect of killing nearby Spriggans. Sadly the morgue only says "Killed by a exploding inner flame", really should read "Killed by a exploding quokka".

For this message the author FluidDynamite has received thanks:
Yermak

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 13th November 2011, 09:06

Never, ever, ever, ever learn Inner Flame before you can cast Liquid Flames decently or until you have a surefire ranged spell! And never, ever, ever hit the selfdestructors in close combat, and do try to keep them far enough from yourself -- at least one square far! When they can be killed with a single hit of whatever you have, they should be far from you at the same time -- your goal is not to eventually destroy them, but to stay safe when they are no more!

In case of Enchanters, you might want to learn Enslavement. Inner Flame will ignite those who kill the selfdestructor.

Inner Flame on a relatively weak creature, enslave, tell it to attack something that can and will counterattack in melee.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 13th November 2011, 17:05

Aww, MyOtheHedgeFox gave me an idea to try out, but it didn't quite work. I was wondering what would happen if you used Inner Flame on giant spores under Fedhas. Apparently only the regular spore explosion triggers. Ok, it probably would've been penance waiting to happen, but who could resist a double-exploding spore? (please please please make this happen devs)

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 14th November 2011, 08:35

MyOtheHedgeFox: Enslavement/Inner Flame sounds like a very fun idea, I've got to try that out next time I get my hands and that spell.

Oh, and new lesson today. Apparently centaur warriors are perfectly capable of double-shotting your SpEn... When said SpEn is invisible. Well, I knew those guys were good, but I didn't know they were this good. Don't mess with those things...

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 14th November 2011, 13:25

Let's see, what would you do if you encounter an invisible enemy?
Shoot when you think he is.

That is what they do, and despite that invisibility makes you twice as harder to hit, you can be hit.
If you are quiet enough, you might run away from your last I-AM-HERE-GUYS spot without being re-detected. They will pursue their image of you, while you may relax.
However, whenever you cast something, throw something or do anything that makes even the slightest noise, they can and so will find where you are.

Have you tried using some protective charms? Two ropes hold a ship better than one.

Not quite by the way, invisibility is not good for everyone. If you cannot see invisible, it gets much harder for you to direct your INVISIBLE DAGGER into the right spot, severely reducing accuracy. So an Enchanter needs to be able to see invisible in the mittenspiel.
Luckily, there is a deity who gives this ability.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 14th November 2011, 14:16

AtT wrote:Sideways toaster for grilled cheese does not work. Unless you're trying to make a poor man's fog machine and set off the fire alarm.

Try leaving the cheese slice out until it's unpleasantly soft, then toasting the bread, then putting it on the bread and pressing it together firmly.

Not quite the same, but delicious and perfect for stale bread.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2011, 03:25

Invisibility is the solution to shoals:5, hands down.

I don't think a single thing of note there has sInvs, and you can effortlessly stab the entire group of rune guardians, or Ilsuiw and her entourage. And if they do happen to wake up before your done passing out coup de grase-es, you can safely blast them to death while they stumble (swimble? Swumble?) around looking for you. And if for some reason you can't do that, just leave. Come back in a while and you'll find everything has wandered away looking for you (here the wide openness of shoals works in your favor, for once!) and the rune will be unguarded.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2011, 14:12

mageykun wrote:Invisibility is the solution to shoals:5, hands down.

With flight or levitation, preferably, so you're not leaving footprints in the water.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Eringya's Employee

Post Wednesday, 16th November 2011, 00:41

Don't underestimate Kirke! Just because you tend to own her fast in most games doesn't mean she can't bring you down. A few days ago, I was in an open level with my 27 polearm skill +6, +4 vampiric bardiche wielding Merfolk Berserker, after clearing Lair and Orc without much effort, when SHE popped. I said, hey, it's just Kirke. So I just held TAB, seeing as it had worked wonders before (except when facing hydrae). Well, I got turned into a pig in just a few turns. Now, the "funny" thing about the pig form, is you can't use potions, scrolls, wands and all your armour except your necklace becomes useless. Also I don't know how long it lasts. Maybe you have to kill her to break it. But the thing is, if you're a pure melee character without a decent UC skill, you're most probably screwed. I got slowed and ganged upon by her, her pigs and some small/big tentacle monstrosities, struggling to reach the nearest stairs. It was no use however, since my scrolls of blinking were useless. I litterally couldn't do anything. OR SO I THOUGHT. I totally forgot about brothers in arms... :lol: Daaamn you overconfidence! Not that they'd probably help much, since there were too many enemies surrounding me.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 16th November 2011, 02:06

TehDruid wrote:Now, the "funny" thing about the pig form, is you can't use potions, scrolls, wands and all your armour except your necklace becomes useless. Also I don't know how long it lasts. Maybe you have to kill her to break it. But the thing is, if you're a pure melee character without a decent UC skill, you're most probably screwed.

Never ever fight while in pig form. Pig form wears off fairly quickly. Pig form is also faster than most normal speed characters. The moment you see Kirke, position yourself near the closest upstairs. If you get porkalated, run upstairs as quickly as possible.

Eringya's Employee

Post Wednesday, 16th November 2011, 02:12

Grimm wrote:
TehDruid wrote:Now, the "funny" thing about the pig form, is you can't use potions, scrolls, wands and all your armour except your necklace becomes useless. Also I don't know how long it lasts. Maybe you have to kill her to break it. But the thing is, if you're a pure melee character without a decent UC skill, you're most probably screwed.

Never ever fight while in pig form. Pig form wears off fairly quickly. Pig form is also faster than most normal speed characters. The moment you see Kirke, position yourself near the closest upstairs. If you get porkalated, run upstairs as quickly as possible.

Huh? But, my unarmed fighters tend to violate everything in pig form. :twisted:

EDIT: Well, okay, except for Mennas, maybe.
MuCK;
  Code:

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 17th November 2011, 01:30

What exactly does pig form do anyways? I let myself get him with it only once, and I just ran away till it wore off.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th November 2011, 01:37

minmay wrote:Hog form takes a few hundred turns to wear off, I wouldn't call that "fairly quickly." Better to not let yourself be porkalated in the first place; even if you go right up the stairs, a dangerous monster could come along on that level before the form wears off, and you won't be able to use any of your escape items.

True but since pig form is faster than a lot of things it's usually easy to get away. And a couple of hundred turns is fairly quickly for an MDFi.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 17th November 2011, 02:35

Wow, three lessons in less than one minute:
      Code:
     The orb of destruction hits your Executioner.
    _You blow up your Executioner!

• A friendly executioner is apparently faster than an orb of destruction!
  • If you want to cut something out of a Putty terminal, use the left mouse button. The right mouse button will paste whatever is in your clipboard into the window. However funny you think a message might be if you copy it for the Tavern, it's better not to get confused. - I spent the next few turns dropping random items from my inventory.
  • You might not want to do either of these things in front of an Orb of Fire.
    (Actually I escaped with 56 HP and only 4 bad mutations but, seriously, fuckit.)

For this message the author dassem has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 17th November 2011, 04:43

No matter how good notes you took, how much you studied, and how prepared you were, if you forget to actually go to class to take your quiz, you will not do better.

For this message the author AtT has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 17th November 2011, 04:51

AtT wrote:No matter how good notes you took, how much you studied, and how prepared you were, if you forget to actually go to class to take your quiz, you will not do better.

Unless it's multiple choice and they take off points for wrong answers and you really screwed up

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 17th November 2011, 05:13

If the quiz was over Dungeon Crawl, just tell your professor Sigmund killed you on the way to class.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 17th November 2011, 05:31

Unfortunately it was on matrices :(

And when you find temple on D6, for the love of god make sure it's actually the temple and not orc before going down the stairs.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 17th November 2011, 13:57

The notation for matrix multiplication written out longhand looks like a really complicated Crawl macro.

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 20th November 2011, 15:04

If you're using Conjure Flame to block off a corridor to stop that Orc Warrior from carving you up, make sure he isn't doing it with a halberd before you stand next to the fire and start plinking him to death with Flame Tongue :D
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 20th November 2011, 15:52

If a hydra has more heads than you have AC, don't let him get close.
And no matter how powerful you are, how many times you can cast poison arrow and hax magicks, sliding a frosty shiv into someone's warm ribcage will best it every time.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 01:29

A D:1 ogre for most characters: Very bad news.
A D:1 ogre for a summoner with a spear: Very good news. A bat makes a surprisingly good blocker when trapped in a hallway against an enemy with abysmal accuracy.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 07:42

The blink mutation is immune to the Mennas' silence ability. If you hit it often enough, you'll eventually land outside the silence area. Fighter+Heroism+Finesse+Might=-Mennas. :)

(I think I actually buffed a lot more than I needed to though; he didn't do much damage.)
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

For this message the author byrel has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 17:20

byrel wrote:(I think I actually buffed a lot more than I needed to though; he didn't do much damage.)

With Mennas, there is no such thing as buffing too much. Mara before he generates an illusion of you, on the other hand...

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 18:11

If you live in a shitty apartment and leave your bike outisde on game day, someone on the upper floor will throw up on it.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 18:25

AtT wrote:If you live in a shitty apartment and leave your bike outisde on game day, someone on the upper floor will throw up on it.

What!? That's just terrible luck.

Restart your game.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 19:05

Very first Webtiles character, level 24 GhSu of Nemelex: Stabber/Evoker/Summoner of Nemelex hybrid. I'm mopping the floor with everything I run across, three runes and ready to do Zot (or so I thought). Go down from D26 to D27: A high level orc pack is in my entry room, two orc sorcerers and an orc warlord, among others. Paralyzed as soon as I come down the stairs, and a ridiculous number of 'mores' later, I go from 187 hp to dead without a chance to input a command.

Don't stop surrounding yourself with summons when going down a new level just because you're doing well. (Something I'd been doing in shoals, swamp, and vault constantly, before finally getting complacent because of how 'easy' everything I'd run across was)

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 20:55

In 0.10, it appears Spiny Frogs can poison you even through rPois, like Poison Arrow.

Poison Arrow Frogs?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 21:05

joellercoaster wrote:In 0.10, it appears Spiny Frogs can poison you even through rPois, like Poison Arrow.

Poison Arrow Frogs?

Every poison attack has a 10% chance to bypass rPois in 0.10, it's not spiny frog exclusive.

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 21:24

1. Getting Orb of Destruction reliable before getting any runes and Ice Storm after getting your first will trivialize the rest of the game.

2. Necromutation makes most of Tomb's death curses a joke. Abjuration takes care of a good chunk of what's left.

3. Turning Invisible before going to new regions of Pan just in case you land on Hellion Island means you won't actually do that. Instead, you'll appear next to Glorrx who will proceed to not notice you as you apport his rune, pick it up, and teleport away.

4. Your heavily enchanted lajatang is worth more points than pretty much every single artifact in the game.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

For this message the author TwilightPhoenix has received thanks: 2

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 21:59

cerebovssquire wrote:Every poison attack has a 10% chance to bypass rPois in 0.10, it's not spiny frog exclusive.

Oh. Cool, I guess.

On Topic: If you have a spell at Good, and are in deep trouble but only need to cast it once to survive? You can most definitely miscast it five times in a row then run out of MP :roll:

As they keep saying, Good is not good.

Eringya's Employee

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 22:18

I rolled a TrCK to see how far I could go, and found a bottled efreet at some point. I uncorked it, and the efreet became my ally. I was running around D:10 with a robe of the clouds that i bought for 180 g or something at an antique armour store. There were rain clouds and steam everywhere, it was total chaos. xD
Two things I noticed and liked a lot:

1) The efreet was taking damage from the rain clouds.

2) Xom polymorphed the efreet into a rakshasa (or however it is spelled :P ) permanently! It even picked the flaming scimitar it dropped because of getting polymorphed. Unfortunately I read-IDed a scroll of immolation and it got pissed, so I had to kill it... :( Better luck next time.
MuCK;
  Code:

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 22nd November 2011, 00:15

TwilightPhoenix wrote:4. Your heavily enchanted lajatang is worth more points than pretty much every single artifact in the game.

Points from inventory got removed in 0.9. Gold still helps (as do runes and the orb).

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 22nd November 2011, 00:52

Galefury wrote:
TwilightPhoenix wrote:4. Your heavily enchanted lajatang is worth more points than pretty much every single artifact in the game.

Points from inventory got removed in 0.9. Gold still helps (as do runes and the orb).

The penultimate ascension screen still tells you the value of everything in your inventory though (at least in 0.9.1), and a nicely scrolled anything tends to beat even the best artefacts by about a factor of ten. It may not do anything for you, but it is still kind of interesting to note the game thinks so highly of locally made, handcrafted goods. :P

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 22nd November 2011, 23:40

Chaos-branded weapons can duplicate enemies. How long has this been going on?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2011, 01:08

joellercoaster wrote:Chaos-branded weapons can duplicate enemies. How long has this been going on?

Does it works on yourself? :twisted:

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2011, 01:29

You can't use your Scroll of Blinking if you're dead.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2011, 02:43

If you are diligently distilling and stockpiling potions of poison and strong poison, be careful not to cast Ignite Poison around your stash.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2011, 04:43

If your ghost is a Spriggan, good luck hitting hit as a Spriggan, regardless of your magic.
PreviousNext

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice