I think we learned an important lesson today.

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 23rd September 2013, 02:05

Re: I think we learned an important lesson today.

It is possible to get holy floor in ziggurat as early as on 6th floor.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 23rd September 2013, 10:06

Do NOT wear fire dragon armor without an rC item! And if you do, don't hit an ettin simulacrum after it just lowered your HP to about 20%.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 23rd September 2013, 11:52

Vorpal brand is not that bad in 0.13, it can deal slightly more than 33% damage.

Code:
You slash the vampire mage!
The vampire mage lost 16, current 42, max 58
The vampire mage lost 6, current 36, max 58

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 23rd September 2013, 20:12

nice, looking forward to more lessons if it's not too spoilery

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 12:30

Having unidentified uber ring of slaying is fastest way to get your killed. 6, 7 ring of slaying might be nice, but if you run into stone bolt throwing draconian in dungeon 3 it won't help you.

Also this should teach me not to learn spells before I have enough mana and they are reliable enough to be cast reliably... If i'm not using it regularly (in early dungeon) It's probably bigger problem for future crawlers if it dies.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 13:58

siprus wrote:Having unidentified uber ring of slaying is fastest way to get your killed. 6, 7 ring of slaying might be nice, but if you run into stone bolt throwing draconian in dungeon 3 it won't help you.

Also this should teach me not to learn spells before I have enough mana and they are reliable enough to be cast reliably... If i'm not using it regularly (in early dungeon) It's probably bigger problem for future crawlers if it dies.

This is why you should play online. Your annoying spells become Somebody Else's Problem.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 14:46

siprus wrote:stone bolt throwing draconian in dungeon 3

Were you playing a Mu?

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 18:51

Sandman25 wrote:
siprus wrote:stone bolt throwing draconian in dungeon 3

Were you playing a Mu?

I was playing Merfolk or Demonspawn lugonu worshiper, i think.

Went down stairs, walked away from stair to kill a goblin. (in an open room) I see Lizzy, I walk towards stairs, i get hit by stone arrow. I try to walk up the stairs. I get hit again. Dead. (maybe I was hit twice when going up the stair, i'm not sure.)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 18:53

siprus wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:Were you playing a Mu?

I was playing Merfolk or Demonspawn lugonu worshiper, i think.

Went down stairs, walked away from stair to kill a goblin. (in an open room) I see Lizzy, I walk towards stairs, i get hit by stone arrow. I try to walk up the stairs. I get hit again. Dead. (maybe I was hit twice when going up the stair, i'm not sure.)

It surprises me. I didn't know it is possible to meet a draconian on D3 unless you spend huge time there.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
A spy

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 19:00

It was my ghost. I noted that i should be careful when learning new spells referring to fact that ghost can use all your spells without failure chance. (this is also good reason to learn utility spells when you play on private computer, and stack wizardry forget all spells quaff brilliance and learning fire storm with 1% success chance if you are playing on computer others use.)

For this message the author siprus has received thanks: 2
Frelus, Sandman25

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 09:08

That's not precisely true; your ghost will only have access to spells you had at 50% fail or better. So no 99% fail firestorm ghosts, sorry. 49% fail firestorm ghosts work just fine, though!

For this message the author ontoclasm has received thanks:
siprus

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 12:50

So quaff those potions of brilliance before you die, boys and girls!

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 14:59

You could carry some potions of degeneration

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 15:39

Or scrolls of amnesia (if it takes 1 turn to unlearn a spell)

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 29th September 2013, 00:07

When spamming Orbs of Destruction at Lamia, make sure you pay attention to which orbs are yours, and which orbs are hers....

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 29th September 2013, 22:29

Donald can appear in Labyrinth.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 30th September 2013, 07:57

Sandman25 wrote:Donald can appear in Labyrinth.

labyrinths hate.jpg
labyrinths hate.jpg (34.81 KiB) Viewed 15131 times

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 4th October 2013, 13:22

1) Passwall is pretty useful, especially in the Abyss.
2) Fuck the Abyss, man.

For this message the author nicolae has received thanks: 2
pratamawirya, Sorcerous

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 7th October 2013, 17:47

Always check monsters in every game because:
1) they get changed in trunk
2) your memory still can miss something very important, even if you killed those monsters many times.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th October 2013, 13:07

Don't skip sections when reading tournament rules. Having 2 wins in 2 games is good, having no streaks is not.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 18th October 2013, 03:07

Don't try and "test" a hard ghost before diving past it. If there's a tough monster like Black Mamba on the other side it can kill you.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

For this message the author reaver has received thanks: 2
MyOtheHedgeFox, pratamawirya

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 19th October 2013, 15:07

1) Elyvilon will identify and destroy evil brands like draining but not the evil god's distortion brand.
2) Unwielding a distortion weapon may ultimately result in mutations (via contamination).

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 21st October 2013, 22:50

Should have known getting banished, finding exit and finding broad axe of +12, +7 with huge resistances was too good to be true.

As soon as i exited abyss got slain by same player ghost that sent me there. (It had found wyrm skeleton from somewhere to help it and it started blasting me Icicle as soon as i got back) On hindsight i should have identified scrolls till i found teleportation before i went back, though it would have probably helped in this case since i died in 3 turns.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd October 2013, 01:20

Necromutation is not as good as it looks.

Code:
Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
b - Necromutation         Trmt/Necr      ########..   2%          8    N/A

You miscast Necromutation.
You are very lightly contaminated with residual magic.
You are slowing down.

@: lich-form (expiring), petrifying, repel missiles, very slightly contaminated,
very slow, incredibly resistant to hostile enchantments, fairly stealthy

MyOtheHedgeFox

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 22nd October 2013, 02:15

Sandman25 wrote:Necromutation is not as good as it looks.

Code:
Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
b - Necromutation         Trmt/Necr      ########..   2%          8    N/A

You miscast Necromutation.
You are very lightly contaminated with residual magic.
You are slowing down.

@: lich-form (expiring), petrifying, repel missiles, very slightly contaminated,
very slow, incredibly resistant to hostile enchantments, fairly stealthy

Transmutation miscasts are rough, huh

For this message the author nicolae has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd October 2013, 02:34

nicolae wrote:Transmutation miscasts are rough, huh

I just didn't expect it at 2%, it was gray. It happened when I was still low on HP after getting Fire Storm (2% also) miscast twice in a row (with 2 Brimstone Fiends in LoS). Earlier I was paralysed in Slime Pits when a jelly entered ZoT trap and I got beaten by 7 monsters while standing on stairs during several turns. Not sure if it can be called lucky but quite interesting/unusual.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 22nd October 2013, 12:25

Sandman25 wrote:
nicolae wrote:Transmutation miscasts are rough, huh

I just didn't expect it at 2%, it was gray. It happened when I was still low on HP after getting Fire Storm (2% also) miscast twice in a row (with 2 Brimstone Fiends in LoS). Earlier I was paralysed in Slime Pits when a jelly entered ZoT trap and I got beaten by 7 monsters while standing on stairs during several turns. Not sure if it can be called lucky but quite interesting/unusual.

Level 9 spells mis-cast are rough. I often usually start thinking about swift escape if possible after even 1. But ya, that is some bad luck.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd October 2013, 04:26

Don't cast mephitic cloud near Psyche and Gastronook at the same time, while it might confuse them both, she might hit gastronook with her chaos dagger and polymorph him into a golden dragon, who would be immune to your poison spells and breathe fire at you to kill you.
  Code:
12958 Seigurt the Conjurer (level 11, -12/74 HPs)
             Began as a Grey Draconian Venom Mage on Oct 22, 2013.
             Was a High Priest of Vehumet.
             Killed from afar by Gastronok the golden dragon (18 damage)
             ... with a bolt of fire

... on Level 1 of the Orcish Mines on Oct 23, 2013.
             The game lasted 01:57:17 (12915 turns).
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 13
and into, Azrael, ereinion, Happy Corner, Lasty, MyOtheHedgeFox, pratamawirya, rebthor, thevogonpoet, ZoFy and 3 more users

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd October 2013, 04:36

Siegurt wrote:Don't cast mephitic cloud near Psyche and Gastronook at the same time, while it might confuse them both, she might hit gastronook with her chaos dagger and polymorph him into a golden dragon, who would be immune to your poison spells and breathe fire at you to kill you.

This is amazing death...
Isn't Mephitic cloud too risky as means to deal with uniques? You never know if they got confused and for how long, some of them have very high HD. Gastronok, for example, has HD 20 and thus has about 5% (1/21) to get affected.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd October 2013, 05:03

Sandman25 wrote:
Siegurt wrote:Don't cast mephitic cloud near Psyche and Gastronook at the same time, while it might confuse them both, she might hit gastronook with her chaos dagger and polymorph him into a golden dragon, who would be immune to your poison spells and breathe fire at you to kill you.

This is amazing death...
Isn't Mephitic cloud too risky as means to deal with uniques? You never know if they got confused and for how long, some of them have very high HD. Gastronok, for example, has HD 20 and thus has about 5% (1/21) to get affected.

Well, he and Psyche weren't the *reason* for the meph cloud, I did the meph cloud to confuse the orc warriors that were standing there between the uniques and me, those two just got hit with some stray happy gas. I don't actually think Gastronok was confused at all (I was firing venom bolts through the orc warriors to hit psyche and the slug, meanwhile they were swinging any which way.) All the while I was standing on the upstaircase in case I needed to flee. Unfortunately, my buffer of orc warriors stepped randomly out of the way, Psyche hit Gastronok, he turned into a golden dragon (healing him to full from near death in the process), and Gastronok took a step towards me and got the double move and mauled me for about 60 hp from my max of 76 in the first round of bad things, and since I was *on* the upstaircase, fleeing upstairs would just cause instant death (and should I have been lucky enough to escape instant death that round I would've just brought a golden dragon capable of killing me instantly in melee or ranged combat with me up the stairs) at that point I think my only option would've been a blink scroll, which I hadn't found or identified yet (And I probably still would've died since Gastronok could kill me from anywhere in my LOS)

Next step was supposed to be cure poison followed by ignite poison (Which would've turned those mephitic clouds into fire clouds, and killed pretty much everything in LOS.)
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 23rd October 2013, 12:13

Siegurt wrote:Well, he and Psyche weren't the *reason* for the meph cloud, I did the meph cloud to confuse the orc warriors that were standing there between the uniques and me, those two just got hit with some stray happy gas. I don't actually think Gastronok was confused at all (I was firing venom bolts through the orc warriors to hit psyche and the slug, meanwhile they were swinging any which way.) All the while I was standing on the upstaircase in case I needed to flee. Unfortunately, my buffer of orc warriors stepped randomly out of the way, Psyche hit Gastronok, he turned into a golden dragon (healing him to full from near death in the process), and Gastronok took a step towards me and got the double move and mauled me for about 60 hp from my max of 76 in the first round of bad things, and since I was *on* the upstaircase, fleeing upstairs would just cause instant death (and should I have been lucky enough to escape instant death that round I would've just brought a golden dragon capable of killing me instantly in melee or ranged combat with me up the stairs) at that point I think my only option would've been a blink scroll, which I hadn't found or identified yet (And I probably still would've died since Gastronok could kill me from anywhere in my LOS)

Next step was supposed to be cure poison followed by ignite poison (Which would've turned those mephitic clouds into fire clouds, and killed pretty much everything in LOS.)

Just for reference, since this sounded like a good death: Gastronok was standing next to you the entire time, and so could not possibly double-move you. You also had 4 (identified) scrolls of blinking in your inventory! I imagine with so many blinks and some fog it would have been perfectly survivable, or at least a lot more survivable than just standing next to a golden dragon for 3 turns casting venom bolts. :P

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd October 2013, 15:38

Just goes to show I wasn't paying attention :) Although with "Only one exit to branches" my odds of getting out alive past a gold dragon were limited.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd October 2013, 15:49

I still think fighting Gastronok was a bad idea. Stairs don't help much vs 0-50 Airstrike when you have 74 max HP. I died to Gastronok several times and now I treat it with very much respect.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 23rd October 2013, 17:46

Yeah, it was probably overconfident of Siegurt to take them all on at once. Although I think we can all agree that *if* you are going to die to Gastronok, the 100% correct way to do so is Psyche-morphing him into a gold dragon. :)

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 5
MyOtheHedgeFox, pratamawirya, Sandman25, Siegurt, Sorcerous

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd October 2013, 18:14

and into wrote:Yeah, it was probably overconfident of Siegurt to take them all on at once. Although I think we can all agree that *if* you are going to die to Gastronok, the 100% correct way to do so is Psyche-morphing him into a gold dragon. :)

And on a side note, I'd taken exactly 0 damage until he got morphed into a gold dragon, and he was at 'nearly dead' and extremely poisoned.

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 24th October 2013, 12:05

Apparently, unlike Temporal Distortion, Step from Time is not an instant ability. Monsters might get lucky, end up being near you after you step from time and get off a killing blow on you. It took me a lot of games with Chei to discover that though.
Offline greaterplayer (who cares). I don't always play online, but when i do, i streak felids.
Zot:5 on easy mode video
Double Skullcrusher

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th October 2013, 12:33

Playing "choice of Nemelex" characters brings more fun than playing straightforward characters. I suspect it also makes every tournament special.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 25th October 2013, 12:39

Don't forget you got a slow movement mutation.
Because everything seems hasted.
Especially hasted uniques

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th October 2013, 00:09

Nergaille can create monsters with ranged weapon.

Code:
10786 Sandman25 the Thaumaturge (level 11, -5/50 HPs)
             Began as a Spriggan Summoner on Oct 24, 2013.
             Was an Elder of Ashenzari.
             Shot with a bolt by a spectral orc knight (31 damage)
             ... summoned by Nergalle
             ... on Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts on Oct 26, 2013.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 3rd November 2013, 10:21

Do not melee giants when there is Ironband Convoker standing in your los and hasting/mighting them.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 3rd November 2013, 10:26

Ironbrand Convokers don't know Haste Other.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 3rd November 2013, 10:35

Yeah, seems like they don't. But mightened giants are still kind of threat.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 3rd November 2013, 11:13

Yeah they're horrible, +50% damage is no joke. Mighty wardens are scary too.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 3rd November 2013, 15:55

Don't think you can play VpEn if you have SpEn win. VpEn is very different and much harder.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 4th November 2013, 01:13

Getting the petrified ending in lair when you're playing a Gargoyle is nice.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 6th November 2013, 23:32

Eidolon ignores Silence

MoogleDan

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 08:02

Deep Elf Master Archers are a nightmare : they continue to fire arrows in melee, not reducing their damage output. And arrows of fire still deal really high damage to a Lava Orc, especially when not given the time to warm up.
RIP, my dear Severer...

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 7th November 2013, 18:54

Don't underestimate Snorg. Just because he's fat, doesn't mean he can't show you the reason moon trolls don't exist anymore.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 8th November 2013, 02:06

Gehenna is not a good place to level your DsBe if you are fleeing late dungeon.
Hellfire ignores fire resistance.
one should always use the Knowledge bots if in doubt.
crawl will destroy your hopes and dreams.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 8th November 2013, 08:47

Infusion is the worst spell a Djinni can cast.
PreviousNext

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice