Clearing Slimes - why?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 03:09

Clearing Slimes - why?

I see many top players explore all levels in Slime Pits (taking all possible stairs) and I don't understand why. Is the little XP gain worth bad mutations, corroded equipment and chance to die via paralysis? Or are they just bored with crawl? :)

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 03:11

Re: Clearing Slimes - why?

I'm curious which top players you see doing this. I've never cleared slime unless I'm looking for dissolution during a tourney.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 03:37

There is no reason to clear any floor of slime or really stay inside in level 6 at all any longer than it takes you to kill trj, grab the rune and the stuff and get out.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 03:38

I am not sure I may list their names here. Two of them are in top 15 at http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/best- ... score.html

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 03:39

dck wrote:There is no reason to clear any floor of slime or really stay inside in level 6 at all any longer than it takes you to kill trj, grab the rune and the stuff and get out.

Yes, this is my understanding also hence I decided to create the thread, maybe I am missing something.

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 03:41

I try to clear as much around the central area of Slime 6 as possible, and I'll often clear around each of the places where the staircases between floors 6 and 5 dump you on Slime 5 even if that's perhaps on the paranoid side. Limits possibility of ill-timed eyeballs ruining my day when the royal entourage shows up and/or I have to flee. Other than that it is diving + regicide then GTFO though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 03:43

need XP for aesthetically pleasing skills in the morgue

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 03:45

duvessa wrote:need XP for aesthetically pleasing skills in the morgue

But doesn't it decrease chance of winning?

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 03:46

being Chief of Staff is more important than winning

For this message the author TheDefiniteArticle has received thanks: 3
Brannock, rockygargoyle, Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 04:08

and into wrote:I try to clear as much around the central area of Slime 6 as possible, and I'll often clear around each of the places where the staircases between floors 6 and 5 dump you on Slime 5 even if that's perhaps on the paranoid side. Limits possibility of ill-timed eyeballs ruining my day when the royal entourage shows up and/or I have to flee. Other than that it is diving + regicide then GTFO though.

I usually don't bother with going upstairs from 6th level, I put exclusions on 2 of 3 upstairs and retreat to cleared upstairs if needed. If I think I might need to teleport, I don't enter Slime.

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 04:21

Sandman25 wrote:
and into wrote:I try to clear as much around the central area of Slime 6 as possible, and I'll often clear around each of the places where the staircases between floors 6 and 5 dump you on Slime 5 even if that's perhaps on the paranoid side. Limits possibility of ill-timed eyeballs ruining my day when the royal entourage shows up and/or I have to flee. Other than that it is diving + regicide then GTFO though.

I usually don't bother with going upstairs from 6th level, I put exclusions on 2 of 3 upstairs and retreat to cleared upstairs if needed. If I think I might need to teleport, I don't enter Slime.

It is more for having 3 possible spots to retreat to, rather than teleportation. (I once died to eyeballs that spawned around my only cleared set of stairs as I was retreating, so even if just out of superstition, I try to clear the area around all three staircases on Slime 5 and 6).

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 04:47

You can't say names? It's not like you're leaking information...

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 05:13

During tournaments I generally dont do slime, but if I do, I dive to slime 6, clear slime 6, get boss, rune, loot, get out. I never kill the slime unique in tournaments.

Outside of tournaments I clear vaults/snake/slime completely on all characters since they are my favorite crawl puzzles to solve with mid level characters (except the surround blink snake, the lock stairs/doors warden, and paralyze eyes, I think I like everything in these 3 branches). If my guy has a chance I then also like trying to solve Tomb before entering zot so I'm not engorged with XP.

Basically they are a cross section of almost all the different challenges present in crawl condensed in varied and interesting areas, and have a very large number of fun solutions.

(for the record, I hate corrosion outside of slime, but I dont mind it for slime since I can fully prepare for it)

For this message the author Baldu3 has received thanks:
Sandman25

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 06:53

For me its simple - OCD.
ImageImage

For this message the author Curio has received thanks: 5
bcadren, GlassGo, rockygargoyle, tedric, XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 14:18

and into wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:

It is more for having 3 possible spots to retreat to, rather than teleportation. (I once died to eyeballs that spawned around my only cleared set of stairs as I was retreating, so even if just out of superstition, I try to clear the area around all three staircases on Slime 5 and 6).

I never enter the branch if I don't have stasis. Again, maybe I am too cowardy player but it allows to avoid deaths.
Last edited by Sandman25 on Saturday, 29th March 2014, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 14:19

WalkerBoh wrote:You can't say names? It's not like you're leaking information...

No, I can't say the names. Just imagine how would you feel if I created a thread about you doing ... unoptimal things

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 14:53

I wouldn't care at all?

For this message the author WalkerBoh has received thanks: 4
dck, duvessa, GlassGo, rockygargoyle

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 15:21

People are different.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 18:02

Huh well okay, I was honestly just curious because I've never seem anyone doing it. The only things you get from clearing slime are bad muts, item destruction, and corrosion after all.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 18:04

If I have a character who can clear Slime, I generally do it! I like it down there, and xp is plenty.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 00:31

I mostly cleared slime the first time I did it because I was about half way from level 26 to 27 and Acid blobs give tons of experience.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 31st March 2014, 06:42

Top players clear slime to have enough exp for necromutation before they enter Zot.

For this message the author Mankeli has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Sar

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 31st March 2014, 12:09

I recently went down to bottom of Slime by just taking the first staircase.
Then killing of TRJ went bad and i had to retreat upstairs to heal.
However upstrairs was still lot of jellies of all sorts, because i didn't clear it.
So i went upstrairs again, again and again until died at Slime:3.

Based on this it would be good idea to make sure you have a safe escape path back to Lair, at least by partially clearing levels and excluding staircases that don't have a safe path.
Some jellies will generate for sure, but it will be more safe if it's cleared at least once.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 3rd April 2014, 03:09

Mankeli wrote:Top players clear slime to have enough exp for necromutation before they enter Zot.

Why do you need Necromutation for Zot? I've never used it before, but I thought the main draws of Necromutation were hungerless casting and torment immunity, both of which seem very nice for extended (where corpses are rare and torment is a major threat) but not a big deal for Zot (where there's very little torment and corpses are plentiful). Am I wrong about the benefits of Necromutation, or wrong about what's useful for Zot?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd April 2014, 04:35

You're wrong about whether that post was serious or not.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 4th April 2014, 11:20

^This.

Apologies, I thought it was clear that getting lichform for zot is just as great as dropping your speed, curing and heal wounds potions into lava voluntarily :P. Except that, unlike with necromutation, there is no exp cost for dropping your potions into lava.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 10:09

WalkerBoh wrote:I'm curious which top players you see doing this.

I spectated Minmay yesterday, and he cleared Slime fully, autoexploring all floors.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 10:53

Magipi wrote:
WalkerBoh wrote:I'm curious which top players you see doing this.

I spectated Minmay yesterday, and he cleared Slime fully, autoexploring all floors.

Keep in mind that this thread was made before the change to corrosion. Now corrosion is temporary, so if you can do slime without getting mutated and without using consumables (not too hard) then it's free exp.

For this message the author Patashu has received thanks: 3
archaeo, Magipi, rockygargoyle

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 14:21

Well it was always free xp, most people just don't bother.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
archaeo, XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 15:25

I love taking down slime when I can. I am the worst player, though. I've died to TRJ several times.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 23:01

While I am certainly NOT a great player, I love slime. It is the only part of extended that I actually find enjoyable. (I suppose it is technically debatable if slime is part of extended). It is somewhat challenging and the tactics needed are a bit different from the rest of the game.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 07:31

Today, I cleared slime with a MuWz because I needed all the XP I can get, and both the Abyss and the Vaults were unappealing places to visit. Mutations weren't a worry, and since I could cast a high-powered airstrike, paralysis/confusion is a rather low probability threat. (I did get nailed once by paralysis after using a stair, but the nearby crowd couldn't do too much)

With regards to corrosion, I usually don't have trouble putting together a slime kit of gear that is either corrosion immune (good body armor or artifacts) or is a piece of gear that it doesn't really matter if it gets corroded (e.g. I have three extra pairs of gloves lying around).

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice