CBoE...

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 16th July 2015, 07:27

CBoE...

... has it any use when you worhsip Sif ?

Pro :
- can use Sif channel if CBoE drained all MP

Con :
- train both Evo and Invo for same purpose
- Sif channeling more reliable ?
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 16th July 2015, 08:03

Re: CBoE...

If you were doing that you'd train Invo to about 8 (almost 100% chance [unless severe stat drain] of d4 MP) and max evocations (once you hit 27 evo; the cBoe has a ~90% chance to give ~18 MP and about a 2% chance to drain all your MP). You'd only use the Sif channelling if you were out of MP [channel small amount, sublimate enough to use the cBoe reliably, use the cBoe.] Evo is also used for a lot more stuff, where you'd only be using that one Invo. If you want to use a cBoe though...Ashenzari is the best way. (curse all jewelry; don't curse a weapon); use staff of energy if you are out of mana, and same staff, sublimate then cBoe if the cBoe drains you; but most the time just using the cBoe.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 16th July 2015, 10:24

I don't get why Ash is better at CBoE using ? Clarity ?
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th July 2015, 01:08

sif channeling is just better than current cboe, maybe this would have made sense back when cboe was good though

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 17th July 2015, 03:39

What do you mean, "current cboe"? What has been changed?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th July 2015, 05:06

some time around 0.6 or 0.8 cboe was changed to be awful instead of overpowered, then later (i forget when) it was changed to be bad instead of awful

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Aule

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 17th July 2015, 05:36

Duvessa is being really negative. It restores MP a lot faster than any other channeling source, but there's a chance (which gets smaller with Evo) to cause miscasts (drain MP, confusion, drain 1-3 INT). At max Evo it's like 3d9 (3-27 MP) with a 5.5% chance of miscast and overall 10% chance of failure. It -is- the most powerful source of channeling, but it's not really that XP efficient (because you need a LOT of evo to not murder yourself with it).

cBoe is the second strongest (in MP per turn) source of channeling after Wucad Mu. Sif is third. Normal Staff of energy is last. Sif and Staff of Energy both have no drawbacks; Wucad Mu has a flat 1/5 chance of miscast, but the miscast severity isn't as bad as the cBoe (it gets a turn of Eye of Draining level MP drain if you get an MP drain miscast, instead of draining all your MP).

If you are doing MegaZigs, you're going to need a cBoe or Wucad Mu; in normal gameplay, mostly a Staff of Energy or Sif Channeling is a better choice, because (though it gives less MP/turn) it's less likely to fuck you over when staring down a hell lord...and it doesn't require as much investment to get online at a reasonable level.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 17th July 2015, 05:44

bcadren wrote:Duvessa is being really negative. It restores MP a lot faster than any other channeling source, but there's a chance (which gets smaller with Evo) to cause miscasts (drain MP, confusion, drain 1-3 INT). At max Evo it's like 3d9 (3-27 MP) with a 5.5% chance of miscast and overall 10% chance of failure. It -is- the most powerful source of channeling, but it's not really that XP efficient (because you need a LOT of evo to not murder yourself with it).

cBoe is the second strongest (in MP per turn) source of channeling after Wucad Mu. Sif is third. Normal Staff of energy is last. Sif and Staff of Energy both have no drawbacks; Wucad Mu has a flat 1/5 chance of miscast, but the miscast severity isn't as bad as the cBoe (it gets a turn of Eye of Draining level MP drain if you get an MP drain miscast, instead of draining all your MP).

If you are doing MegaZigs, you're going to need a cBoe or Wucad Mu; in normal gameplay, mostly a Staff of Energy or Sif Channeling is a better choice, because (though it gives less MP/turn) it's less likely to fuck you over when staring down a hell lord...and it doesn't require as much investment to get online at a reasonable level.

I knew and agree with all that, which is why I asked. I was afraid something terrible had been done to it in trunk, and I couldn't find anything in the changelogs. But I only began playing this game at around 0.14, so I'm good.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice